Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Commentators already making me feel nauseous.

Apparently only one team is flaying football tonight.

West Coast playing with themselves.
As the AFL sponsor Toyota would say:
Oh what a feeling.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I've been a tennis fan since the early davis cup days on the black and white tv. I feel the need to share....

1. Great to see Simona Halep win wimbledon. She wouldnt make it where she is if she didnt have talent, but it's her desire and work ethic that puts her ahead of about 50 other women in the top 50. Serena is more physically capable in almost every aspect, it's a triumph of persistence and never giving up.

2. I despise the people who present sports who are more concerned about personalities than the sport. The channel 7 dizzy blonde woman is such an example but there are male equivalent on Fox and others.

3. I turn anything involving Dillon Allcock off. I realise he is likeable and he is a role model for people in chairs but the syrup that flows from the media about this guy is so sweet, it could be used on sunday morning muffins.

4. I was at the game. I watched the whole replay on friday night. I watched it in parts yesterday. It is an example of perfection....

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting day of sport world wide.

Djokovic defeats Federer in first ever tie breaker fifth set (after the 12-12 tie of a 5th set).

World Cup cricket ends in tie; super over deciding.

And that was a tie.
Countback on boundaries decided contest.

Last edited:

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Been up all night too and feeling very much the worse for wear . Commiserations to the Kiwis - they had some ridiculously bad luck there. Boult stepping on the rope as he caught it and then 4 extra runs off Stokes' bat as he dived for a run.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not to mention drawn super over and obscure ruling decider.

Yeah the only reason I didn't mention that was that my tiebreaker would've been who finished higher on the ladder pre-finals and England win there too. Just one of those "meant to be" things I guess which is a shame. Not to mention the Poms could've done with a dose of humility leading into The Ashes. :)

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah the only reason I didn't mention that was that my tiebreaker would've been who finished higher on the ladder pre-finals and England win there too. Just one of those "meant to be" things I guess which is a shame. Not to mention the Poms could've done with a dose of humility leading into The Ashes. :)

I said before NZ's super over it's not their day, but even I didn't imagine the rotten luck of losing on a technicality. You know it's one of those days when your fielder steps on the rope and it deflects off the bat for 6, that it's one of those days...

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Off the bat for four extras (after two were run) was the real bad luck.

A tie in my view with the extra over still riptide could have gone another over each. But the rule is actually clear, same as it favoured England.

As England was higher placed over NZ on the overall table that might have been best and fairest result if tied xtra super over was still tied.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Off the bat for four extras (after two were run) was the real bad luck.

A tie in my view with the extra over still riptide could have gone another over each. But the rule is actually clear, same as it favoured England.

As England was higher placed over NZ on the overall table that might have been best and fairest result if tied xtra super over was still tied.
Why couldn't it just be a tie?
I have to admit my care factor borders on zero. England were the only leg of what looked like a horror trifecta of sports results last weekend - I expected us to lose, I expected Serena to win and I expected England to win. By the time the cricket was on, I could not have cared less.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why couldn't it just be a tie?
I have to admit my care factor borders on zero. England were the only leg of what looked like a horror trifecta of sports results last weekend - I expected us to lose, I expected Serena to win and I expected England to win. By the time the cricket was on, I could not have cared less.
Joint winners? Not the worst suggestion.

The World Cup is the one one day tournament that really counts.

My care factor was England losing plus I like Kiwis.

Was a sensational match.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Joint winners? Not the worst suggestion.

The World Cup is the one one day tournament that really counts.

My care factor was England losing plus I like Kiwis.

Was a sensational match.
If it was a test match - the tie would be declared a result
The uniqueness of a tie in a 1 day match makes it special - like the 1st tie in test cricket - a game still spoken about today (Oz V Windies)
The only caveat I would add is if a tie happens involving England no winner is declared and the World Champion status remains with the previous winner but that's just me hating England. NZ deserved to be a winner every bit as much as England - joint winners would be fair. They played 50 overs each. they had their super overs. They couldn't be separated - only by a farcical and contrived mechanism that is not in the spirit of the game of cricket

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
After all that it looks like they robbed NZ another way too - the umps interpretation of the 6 runs given on the "overthrows off the bat" was wrongly judged and they should've got 5 runs ,not 6. This has been confirmed by Simon Taufel who is on the rules committee.

Very tough call as it means the umps had to have noticed whether the batsmen had crossed when the throw was made.

Is it a coincidence that Kiwi colours resemble the Pies? :p

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
After all that it looks like they robbed NZ another way too - the umps interpretation of the 6 runs given on the "overthrows off the bat" was wrongly judged and they should've got 5 runs ,not 6. This has been confirmed by Simon Taufel who is on the rules committee.

Very tough call as it means the umps had to have noticed whether the batsmen had crossed when the throw was made.

If that's true NZ should appeal. If England were to lose the world cup on appeal that would make my life complete

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If that's true NZ should appeal. If England were to lose the world cup on appeal that would make my life complete
All technical interpretation.
Shame but England will retain the WC.

Australia 5 titles
India 2
WI 2
England 1
Sri Lanka 1
Pakistan 1

Finals but no wins

New Zealand (2 finals)

No finals at all - nothing

South Africa

Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
All technical interpretation.
Shame but England will retain the WC.

Australia 5 titles
India 2
WI 2
England 1
Sri Lanka 1
Pakistan 1

Finals but no wins

New Zealand (2 finals)

No finals at all - nothing

South Africa

Zimbabwe
Bangladesh
It may be a technical interpretation, but if it can be demonstrated that they only legally scored 5 runs then the wrong team was awarded victory. One day cricket is a farce this just proves it

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I just clicked on a link for no reason and found this at the roar

It's a month old article about Stephenson. There's no news in it but it's an opinion piece by presumably a freelancer who gets paid for having an article printed on there. So that becomes the qualification to get something published.... you're either persistent or you've slept with harvey weinstein or you know some dirt on the guy who runs the site. I suppose you could say that if people dont click on his story then he wont be invited back and that is the mechanism that assures good sports writing.... but the world according to the internet doesnt work that way.

My complaint about the piece is that the writer struggles with logic. If you make comparisons between players gambling and players taking drugs, then you should be up to speed on "illicit" performance enhancing drugs and "illicit" recreational drugs. You should also be aware of the importance of "intent". If someone grabs a gun and accidently shoots someone then the punishment is different from the case when he is intending to kill them. While the writer briefly refers to Stephenson's intent, it's dismissed without much thought.

If you dont discuss aspects like this, then I honestly cant see the worth of the article. Basically I read it in its entirety to see just how useless it was. Otherwise I would have wasted my time....hmm...reason to pause here and reflect.

The guy who wrote this article isnt much different from guys like Mark Robinson who gets huge amounts of money and fame, but struggles at times with simple concepts.... something that is only too apparent on AFL 360. I've got no doubt that if I had to talk footy down the pub over a few beers then Robinson would be one of the first that I'd pick. Passionate without reason at times. Contradictory. Muddling...Blindly going down narrow threads in his thought processes only to find that there is nothing at the end. He's entertaining .... no doubt about that.

But I would walk out of the pub and I would have forgotten every single theory, strategy, conclusion that Robinson would have conjured up during the session.

So what is the reason behind this post? I'm not sure anyone other than I was trying to avoid some gardening. I better get back to it.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood

Umpires are wired to the third umpire.
A simple request from them, a review of the footage, and there wouldn’t be a discussion.
Why didn’t they do that?
Or simply, didn’t they know/understand the rules?

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Umpires are wired to the third umpire.
A simple request from them, a review of the footage, and there wouldn’t be a discussion.
Why didn’t they do that?
Or simply, didn’t they know/understand the rules?

Umpire Dharmasena is the worst umpire in the history of umpiring. So I guess I just assume when he is one of the umpires expect sickness. His crapness has a tendency to infect whoever he is officiating with. Its like some sort of Dharmasena virus. Marais Erasmus has never been much chop but partnered with Kumar its an omnishambles in waiting.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So what is the reason behind this post? I'm not sure anyone other than I was trying to avoid some gardening. I better get back to it.

If you want something to distract you from such pursuits I have a fully loaded assault rifle, some Aperol spritz for dutch courage, and reports of a pony infiltration in force on the northern fringes. You can be our point man.

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
So we have Giants (A), Tigers, Suns, Dees (H), Crows (A), Bombers (H). If we drop one of those we're top two. If we drop two we may come third or fourth. We need to win the ones we should (Suns, Dees, Bombers) and take two of the Giants, Tigers, Crows games. Thoughts? Giants have an injured midfield, Crows at home will be tough. Geez I hope we smack Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back