• Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Nothing, the list is perfect

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Richmond club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Time to release another one into the wild...

This is a Tigers-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Richmond are:
- 15th tallest, averaging 186.7cm
- 16th heaviest, averaging 85.3kg
- 8th oldest with an average age of 24.2 years
- 7th most experienced, averaging 75.2 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to Richmond - currently pick 13)
2nd round pick (tied to Richmond - currently pick 31)
3rd round pick (tied to Gold Coast - currently pick 37)
4th round pick (tied to Richmond - currently pick 67)
4th round pick (tied to Geelong - currently pick 72)
5th round pick (tied to Richmond - currently pick 85)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Bump. Recent premiers, similar to West Coast. I'm not really sure what you need, though you have enough currency to do whatever you need to, assuming the salary cap is healthy..?

The main area that would be nice to address would be a big bodied midfielder (we have Colier-Dawkins from this draft but he seems like he might be still a few years away before having an impact) so someone ready to go would be great

A young key position defender would be nice as well preferably from the draft who we can develop for a few years before Rance and Astbury hit 30

Cap wise we are a little bit of an unknown we have had some big signings over the past few years with Dusty and Lynch who would be taking a considerable amount of cash but a lot still think we may be able to have a crack at a a lister especially if Brandon Ellis moves on as a RFA at the end of this year

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
The only priority is re-signing our developing youth for another 2-3 years each
Stack, Bolton, Chol & Baker are the priorities (along with Shane Edwards)

Sure we could do with a big bodied midfielder for a couple of years while RCD develops, but we've shown this year that we have good depth in our VFL team who are only going to get better so we don't need to sell the farm to get anyone in. Jack Ross will be back soon anyway, so even that's not a super urgent need.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
The only priority is re-signing our developing youth for another 2-3 years each
Stack, Bolton, Chol & Baker are the priorities (along with Shane Edwards)

Sure we could do with a big bodied midfielder for a couple of years while RCD develops, but we've shown this year that we have good depth in our VFL team who are only going to get better so we don't need to sell the farm to get anyone in. Jack Ross will be back soon anyway, so even that's not a super urgent need.

houli

Not really impressed with Powell-Pepper tbh

Brodie , Bonar , Drew , Caldwell (dream) would be the players i would be looking to get

PP seems like a guy we could get a lot out of. Goal kicking inside mid who has great attack on the game in both phases. His currency is also at an all time low unlike the other you mentioned.

Bonar I would steer clear from unless it was an Ahern type deal that got him to North. Too much injury risk.

How do the Tigers fans rate the small forwards on the list and value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a bit hard to say because the whole forward half of the ground seems to be in flux at the moment.

In my opinion it would be
Rioli - top 25 pick, currently out of form overcoming injury

Bolton - top 25 pick, his ability to play midfield to a high level is why I rate him above the others.

Castagna - very consistent with his pressure but always a mixed bag with his shots on goal and composure. In a purple patch right now.

Baker - rates very highly by hardwick who has openly compared him to Caleb Daniel. Another who has midfield ability bit is currently being trialled at half back in the VFL.

Butler - has been out of favour for a long time and has been on the decline since the premiership despite still being very young and having plenty of pace. Getable. Probably for a 3rd rounder...

Aarts - a bit of a WTF rookie selection last year and hasn't shown anything to prove otherwise. Isn't even our best small forward of our VFL listed players.

Poska

All Australian
Jul 10, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
How do the Tigers fans rate the small forwards on the list and value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rioli - pick 15 to 20
Butler - pick 45 to 55
Castagna - pick 25 to 35
Baker - pick 25 to 35
Higgins - pick 20 to 30
Aarts - free

Bolton isn’t a small forward but I mentioned in another thread it would take a top five pick. Ditto Stack.

Butler is most likely to go. Aarts will be delisted. The rest we will retain.

Aarts - a bit of a WTF rookie selection last year and hasn't shown anything to prove otherwise. Isn't even our best small forward of our VFL listed players.

I think Aarts was a good strategic move.

Taking the occasional player from the VFL team helps build that team, both by promoting the feeling that we're all one club and because potential recruits will be more likely to come if they think there is a chance they'll get their shot if they perform. Getting the better recruits means the team is likely to go better, which should help bring the kids along...

It costs us a rookie spot every few years, but if it helps with development it could easily pay off with other players over the long haul.

No major list needs right now. Obviously need KPBs in a few years (Rance & Astbury). Maybe another KPF for 3 years from now (JR).

Just quality to renew the squad.

2019 has shown us that the Tigers have plenty of quality youngsters. And quite a few mature guys that have years left. So the club will have too many AFL quality players to fit he firsts, without injury (please let the injury Gods love us again). Therefore (drumroll) I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of fringe players with proven AFL ability get moved on. Possibly for pick upgrades. Might free up enough cap space for a name player - but you'd doubt it. Only 'big' name in the show is Brandon Ellis. many Tiger fans don't like him, quite a few do. the club loves him and he loves the club. But if a team offers him $200K more per year he might be gettable as a FA.

So I would expect quiet times, unless other teams open things up for us.

I think our 2 biggest needs are a big inside mid and a tall (~200cm) athletic defender, we still get beaten on the inside and also by big athletic forwards...

Guys i would target (being realistic)..

Mids: SPP, Brodie, H. Greenwood
Def: Day (can play back), Keath

I think our 2 biggest needs are a big inside mid and a tall (~200cm) athletic defender, we still get beaten on the inside and also by big athletic forwards...

Guys i would target (being realistic)..

Mids: SPP, Brodie, H. Greenwood
Def: Day (can play back), Keath

As much as I agree. We also need quality, given how good our midfield and defence is already. And I wonder if we can afford the quality. Also Dave Astbury does pretty well on tall forwards usually. He only has a few years left and we have Miller and Balta being groomed. So it's not urgent. But if we could get a genuine quality 197cm + AFL KPB it'd be awesome.

On mids we have Graham and Ross who look good. RCD is a few years away probably. And Luke English is just starting to play again. So a mature quality inside mid would be very tasty. But once again we'd have to pay.

your list is right on. But can/do we pay for them given what we already have?

Butler - has been out of favour for a long time and has been on the decline since the premiership despite still being very young and having plenty of pace. Getable. Probably for a 3rd rounder...
Bulldogs have three 3rd round picks this year and need a small forward.

Back