Toast Josh Dunkley

glenashley

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We gave Carlton pick 11 for there 20 and 21.

They used 11 for Curnow while we got Dunkley and Collins.

Talk is that if we kept 11 they would have used pick 4 on him as they were that keen. Might also have been gobbled up in the teens of still available so no way was he dropping to 20.
What do you mean Curnow wouldn't have dropped to us?

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
We gave Carlton pick 11 for there 20 and 21.

They used 11 for Curnow while we got Dunkley and Collins.

Talk is that if we kept 11 they would have used pick 4 on him as they were that keen. Might also have been gobbled up in the teens of still available so no way was he dropping to 20.
But seeing how he was there for Carltons 11 pick that we swapped to them, he would have been there for if we kept it. As Carlton people I have spoken to, said they would not have used that earlier pick on him.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
wonder were he will place in our bnf. Had an average first 4 or 5 games but has been great the last 10 or so games. will be close between he and the bont. Daniel missed to many games and Macrae always polls poorly. Dunks will be top 2 imo.

wonder were he will place in our bnf. Had an average first 4 or 5 games but has been great the last 10 or so games. will be close between he and the bont. Daniel missed to many games and Macrae always polls poorly. Dunks will be top 2 imo.
Macrae has done well in the CSM over the years. He came third very early in his career and has usually been in the top 5. Missed out by one vote last year because Hunter played more games.

The CSM rewards those who play more games because they award so many votes. That is, the top players tend to accumulate at least some votes every round.

At this stage I think Bont, Dunkley, Crozier and Macrae would be top 4. Don’t discount Hunter.

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I didn’t get to watch the game but from that vision it looks like Dunks is pretty speedy. I always thought of him as a little on the slow side. Has he improved his burst?

I didn’t get to watch the game but from that vision it looks like Dunks is pretty speedy. I always thought of him as a little on the slow side. Has he improved his burst?
He spent a couple of weeks over summer at the Nike training facility in the US (with Bont and Croz) which helped. It's not an asset but he's a touch quicker than he was.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He'll never be a penetrating kick and theres still a few too many hack kicks out of congestion for my liking, obviously comes with the role he plays but theres usually a better option. But geez i cant remember the last time he missed a 20-40m target. Has improved that side of his game out of sight. Can tell hes gaining confidence in his kicking too as you could literally see the fear on his face previously when he had an open target 30m forward because he didnt want to turn it over. Now hes seeing the option, making a decision to kick quickly and executing well. Props to him, his action is definitely limited but with more and more confidence i still see quite a bit of improvement in his disposal which is pretty scary for the rest of the comp.

Will have to wait and see if his set shots were a one off but if hes fixed that he goes from a midfielder who will kick 0.2-1.2 a game to a midfielder who can kick 2.1-3 goals a game. Very good resting forward, obviously super strong over head and just finds himself in the right spots around the f50.

Ill admit I was very open to trading him, not that i didnt like him ive always liked him but just on team balance and what we could get back in a position of need. I dont think anyone who thought the same was wrong to be honest, hes just stepped his game up incredibly and locked himself into the untradeable category. Doesnt change the fact that team balance still needs to change, if I was Wally id be looking for opportunity because I dont have a spot for him and I dont see one opening up.

The thing is though you should never be trying to trade a gun or best 22 player ever unless that player unequivocally wants out or his position at the club has become untenable.
I understand the "you need to give something good to get something good" reasoning but if you have the something good wanting to come to your club it generally will get done.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
We miss you Mike, come back to us!
Thanks for the shout out Wally. I'm still around. Too much baiting nowadays to write anything more substantial and well thought out. Very happy with Dunks and our improvement at the moment. But keeping away from here has done wonders for my mental health.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
But seeing how he was there for Carltons 11 pick that we swapped to them, he would have been there for if we kept it. As Carlton people I have spoken to, said they would not have used that earlier pick on him.

After the academy picks they ended up with pick 1 (Weitering), pick 10 (McKay) and pick 12 (Curnow). I don’t have any ITK contacts but it has been heavily insinuated that they rated Curnow above McKay but they must’ve had knowledge that Adelaide who had pick 11 wasn’t going to pick Curnow and selecting McKay first was the best way to ensure they got both.

A1Delivers

Rookie
Jun 4, 2019
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If his kicking skills improved he'd be the best midfielder in the comp. 59% disposal efficiency
When a kick is rushed out of a contest and isn’t marked it’s counted as incorrect disposal
There’s a difference when it’s from general play or a set kick

A1Delivers

Rookie
Jun 4, 2019
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Macrae has done well in the CSM over the years. He came third very early in his career and has usually been in the top 5. Missed out by one vote last year because Hunter played more games.

The CSM rewards those who play more games because they award so many votes. That is, the top players tend to accumulate at least some votes every round.

At this stage I think Bont, Dunkley, Crozier and Macrae would be top 4. Don’t discount Hunter.
Dunkley didn’t have an average 1st 4-5 games, he played role coaches asked (he’s a team player) then was moved into midfield (where he played very well the last 8 or so rounds last season) and is growing weekly.
He would be leading the B&F

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Josh Dunkley stats from R7-R18

Total (11 games)

Kicks: 173, Marks: 54, Handballs: 190, Disposals: 363, Tackles: 80, Goals: 5, Behinds: 5, Contested Possessions: 183, Clearances: 72

Averages

Kicks: 15.7, Marks: 4.9, Handballs: 17.3, Disposals: 33.0, Tackles: 7.3, Goals: 0.5, Behinds: 0.5, Contested Possessions: 16.6, Clearances: 6.5

What a stud

Back