Are Geelong unbeatable?

Where will Geelong finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eagles and Geelong have the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL: Facts
I can understand you thinking Geelong has the biggest home ground advantage; after all it plays 9 games at home.

But why Eagles and not Adelaide, or GWS, or Sydney, or Port, or Brisbane?

In the home and away season Richmond plays 10 home games at the G and 1 home game at Docklands
Ah yes so when Richmond plays games at the MCG that are other teams designated home games then Richmond doesn't actually play at the MCG for those games.

Ah yes so when Richmond plays games at the MCG that are other teams designated home games then Richmond doesn't actually play at the MCG for those games.
I agree. Richmond does play home games against other MCG tenants.
Of our 10 home games, we play 6 against clubs that play 6 or more games at the MCG. Of the rest, they all play at least 3, or is it 4? Most neutral ground in the comp, by far.
How many of your home games do you play against any clubs that play more than 1 game at your home ground? Can you name even 1?
But I guess it's different for us though. We don't feel that our team doesn't have the character to compete on a level playing field come September. I don't blame you that you do. You have very good reason.
There's a very good chance your season ends at the hands of Richmond, at the MCG.

Of our 10 home games, we play 6 against clubs that play 6 or more games at the MCG. Of the rest, they all play at least 3, or is it 4? Most neutral ground in the comp, by far.
How many of your home games do you play against any clubs that play more than 1 game at your home ground? Can you name even 1?
But I guess it's different for us though. We don't feel that our team doesn't have the character to compete on a level playing field come September. I don't blame you that you do. You have very good reason.
There's a very good chance your season ends at the hands of Richmond, at the MCG.
lol classic

Who said anything about all games, what I said was that we are the only club that isn't allowed to host every club at our home ground, not every game or every home game. Because currently we will never host Essendon, Hawthorn or Collingwood at our home ground, while Richmond are finally not a basketcase we also won't host them, the moment Carlton become a top 8 side they will no longer be drawn games in Geelong. So no I would just like us to have the same concession offered every other club which is that every club can at some time be drawn at their home ground.
So, you get to avoid the top teams, you romp all over the minnows in the competition and have the Addie cover you in glory every day of the week...and you're whining about it???

Richmond plays it's home games on the most neutral venue in the AFL. Even then, Richmond don't get to play all their home games on their home ground. Eagles and Geelong have the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL: Facts
That these 2 clubs feel that they need to take this massive advantage into the Grand final goes to the character of these clubs. I wonder how their players feel with their administration and supporters insisting they don't have the character to compete on a level playing field.
You reckon playing the G as your home ground is not an advantage?

Richmond doesn't play all of our home games at the MCG. Does any Victorian club play all of their home games on their home ground?
But I do understand that you feel very strongly that your club needs extra special concessions not afforded to others. It's a cultural thing.
A cultural thing like Richmond being s**t for 37 years? Oh and don’t bother with the Melbourne gags, I know we are s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You haven’t had many issues beating MCG tenants at home before. Plus Geelong continually fail at the MCG, so don’t know why it bothers Tigers fans so much?
I personally just hate the notion that because we get 13 games at the G we are at some ‘advantage’, when a large proportion of those games are totally neutral. We win them when we’re good, lose them when we’re bad.

I personally just hate the notion that because we get 13 games at the G we are at some ‘advantage’, when a large proportion of those games are totally neutral. We win them when we’re good, lose them when we’re bad.
I just stand by my belief that good teams win anywhere, I.e Geelong of 07-11 regularly won at the G.

You don't think playing a GF on your home ground is an advantage?

Richmond doesn't play all of our home games at the MCG. Does any Victorian club play all of their home games on their home ground?
But I do understand that you feel very strongly that your club needs extra special concessions not afforded to others. It's a cultural thing.
St Kilda (11 games at Marvel)
Bulldogs (9 games at Marvel, 2 games in Ballarat)
North (7 games at Marvel, 4 games in Tassie)
Essendon (7 games at Marvel, 4 games at MCG)
Carlton (6 games at Marvel, 5 games at MCG)
Melbourne (9 games at MCG, 2 games in NT)

All these clubs chose to play home games at both venues (St Kilda just the one)

Richmond (10 games at MCG, 1 at Marvel)
Hawks (6 games at MCG, 4 games in Tassie, 1 game at Marvel)

Richmond and Hawks have arguably one home game taken away from them, but then they play at least one away game at the MCG to make up for this

Collingwood (9 games at MCG, 2 at Marvel)
Collingwood play a total of 14 games at the MCG, playing two away at marvel makes little difference

Geelong (9 games at KP, 2 at MCG)
Geelong don't play any away games at KP, therefore has the least games at its home venue of all the Vic clubs.

There's also the fact that no one trains on the MCG, so we gain no advantage from playing games there, no side does.

If the MCG was in fact our training ground, then I'd happily admit that we have an advantage from playing games there.

Geelong train on Kardinia Park so the advantage they get from playing games there is massive.

MCG is the most neutral ground, followed by Docklands Stadium, as no one gets to train there either.

I'm not overly fussed about the GWS and Dogs losses. You can't play at your best all year.

The Port loss off the bye is the key one though.

We could have come out and made a statement and got the monkey off the back a little, showed the football world this was the "new" Geelong.

Instead we just rolled over and took it again.

Whoever we play week one of the finals is going to go in supremely confident that if they bring it from the first bounce Geelong will be lethargic and cave under the pressure.

Our pressure was great early in the year but that has dropped off. Perhaps that is deliberate to avoid burn out and they will find it again when it counts. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

More concerning for me is that we had a functioning forward line at the start of the year and now it has reverted back to being a hot mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back