Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't care less about his pre-season, my opinion is based on his time with Adelaide.

Niggles throughout the year can quite easily be caused by bad luck, but if it starts happening frequently enough then it stops being bad luck and turns into bad preparation. From his time at Adelaide to now I'd say it's the latter.
Perhaps caused by being unable to get a decent pre-season due to injury?

How is their conditioning? Dow is no longer playing in the middle and is likely to be given a rest any week now, Lang can't get near it, Williamson has gone down again, MacReadie is playing ordinary football in the 2's, Stocker picked up a foot injury, TDK had his first good game since coming back this week and O'Brien has struggled to hold his spot all year and after a post Teague burst has had 20 touches over the past 2 weeks.

I am a long way from the action but the idea that he has been lazy and unprofessional but still being played by the likes of Teague & Bolton and not pulled up by Russell before round 15 just doesn't seem logical.

Major difference between what McGovern is doing and the others.

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

If you are right and he is lazy, why has his actions been tolerated by Russell and the match committee to this point? Kerr was putting in strong performance early in the year, Casboult was out of the side, Kennedy couldn't get in - there were options to replace him, why did they let it go on so long?

Perhaps there are factors we don't know as outsiders?
First and foremost because of what we paid for him. He was always going to have an easier ride in selection because you can't pay the draft capital and the salary of McGov to sit him in the 2s. Secondly he was doing just enough. Having under 10 possessions but kick 1 ~ 2 goals. Not a huge impact but enough.

It's only been the last month or 2 that he's really started to feel the pinch and now he can't even manage that. He stuttered in the pre-season and I think most of us suspect he's probably picked something up in the season, which goes back to my original point - that's pretty much how his career has always gone and at some point it stops being luck and starts being something else.

Perhaps caused by being unable to get a decent pre-season due to injury?
It's on the individual to maintain some level of fitness between end of season and pre-season. If they come back in a worse state there's more chance of catching something. Look at May with the Demons, he came back in a right state and it took him 2/3rds of the season to come any good.

Last edited:

First and foremost because of what we paid for him. He was always going to have an easier ride in selection because you can't pay the draft capital and the salary of McGov to sit him in the 2s. Secondly he was doing just enough. Having under 10 possessions but kick 1 ~ 2 goals. Not a huge impact but enough.

It's only been the last month or 2 that he's really started to feel the pinch and now he can't even manage that. He stuttered in the pre-season and I think most of us suspect he's probably picked something up in the season, which goes back to my original point - that's pretty much how his career has always gone and at some point it stops being luck and starts being something else.
Surely paying him big money and have him "just do enough" while we struggle to get a win makes it more likely he gets dropped?

Also given Teague coached him at Adelaide and was a big reason he came across, if Teague knew he was lazy and he has continued to be lazy then it incredible indictment on the club as a whole but especially Teague.

Of course this is completely contrary to the culture we have established and actions taken against other players.

Marchbank Dow Setterfield TDK O'Brien Stocker Lang Macreadie Williamson all had very interrupted pre seasons. How is their conditioning? How does Docherty look with 2 ACL's?

It's just a BS excuse. There is always things you can do. He simply hasn't been professional enough.

I'm not saying he should be 100% match fit and I can understand him being a bit behind but he is way off the mark and there is no excuse.
This is not like you Soap. Hope all is ok.

Sorry if you are seeing this msg, second time. Posted in the wrong thread.

Just looking at the Carlton 2019 Fixture and reflecting on the 4 wins we have notched up.
And wondering if we could add another 3.
Suns - 80% chance of win
Crows - 50/50
Eagles - 50/50
Richmond - 50/50
St Kilda - 70% win
Geelong - loss
It's so good to be at Round 18 and have so much too look forward to.
Knowing we are a real chance to win each game.
Getting our best players back in.
Looking forward to seeing De Luca, TDK and eventually Doc back on the park.
Who we draft in through the trade period.
Who will be confirmed as coach.
Good time to get on board, Blue Baggers.
First job, beat the Suns !!!

Teague coached him at the Crows where (so the story goes) he was lazy and unprofessional, Teague then lured him to Carlton and was his forwards coach where he has been lazy and unprofessional, Teague then took him on as head coach where he continued to tolerate him being lazy and unprofessional - we can't have a head coach who treats different players differently and tolerates players being lazy and unprofessional.

As for Russell, he came with big wraps but simply allowed McGovern to not do the work to the point he became too unfit too play - massive failure.

Of course there could well be other reasons for McGovern getting to the state he is besides being lazy and unprofessional.

Just looking at the Carlton 2019 Fixture and reflecting on the 4 wins we have notched up.
Suns - 80% chance of win
Crows - 50/50
Eagles - 50/50
Richmond - 50/50
St Kilda - 70% win
Geelong - loss

Eagles and Richmond would be more 70/30 their way.

Geelong I think we have a sneaky chance. They'll be surely resting their players...

Suns - 80% chance of win
Crows - 50/50
Eagles - 50/50
Richmond - 50/50
St Kilda - 70% win
Geelong - loss
Richmond at the G we are about a 10% chance. Eagles, although they won the Flag there and have won every game there this year, I still don't feel confident about tipping them at the G so I'd give us about a 25-30% chance. Geelong away, we are 0 chance, unless they have top spot sewn up and decide to rest everyone

Saints hmmm... I think 70% chance if they still had Richo. Now with someone else, who knows? back to a 50/50 game for mine.

They have a caretaker coach now. Will probably win 4 out of 5 lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely paying him big money and have him "just do enough" while we struggle to get a win makes it more likely he gets dropped?

Also given Teague coached him at Adelaide and was a big reason he came across, if Teague knew he was lazy and he has continued to be lazy then it incredible indictment on the club as a whole but especially Teague.

Of course this is completely contrary to the culture we have established and actions taken against other players.
That's not entirely true, games have been gifted to plenty of guys. Fasolo was playing early, Polson played way more than he should've, Dow is still getting a go now despite being a long way off the mark, Garlett was pushed in the 1s early on, Lang played before he was ready a few times, O'Brien was gifted many games early (he's earned his spot now, but his first handful of games were stinkers and he kept getting a go) and Macreadie was picked from nowhere and only a couple of weeks back from a long term injury.

Him being picked wasn't really going against the precedent.

As for Teague, he could've been loving the playing ability of the man and what he can do, which seems to be high on his list of what he likes in his players - play adventurous. That part of him is not hard to fall in love with and I said it before, he's a freak and can do exceptional things. That's why he was exciting for people who haven't seen him week in week out; his highlight reel is very good. But backing up week to week... not quite as good.

Yep, I think we're 50/50 to overtake Melbourne.

Saints already on 6 wins makes it tougher - probably 33% chance to overtake them.

In any case, if we finish on:

5 wins - improvement from last year and we match Brisbane's 2018.
6 wins - means we likely beat GC and Saints to finish the year, with 5 wins from Teague's 11 games as coach
7 wins - means we also upset one of WCE, Adelaide or Geelong

Disaster would be to lose to GC and finish on 4 wins, the rest gives us a decent finish to the year and hope for 2020.

Who cares what draft pick Adelaide get? Doesn't affect us one bit...other than pride/sticking it to the Cows/Young Reid.

Yep, I think we're 50/50 to overtake Melbourne.

Saints already on 6 wins makes it tougher - probably 33% chance to overtake them.

In any case, if we finish on:

5 wins - improvement from last year and we match Brisbane's 2018.
6 wins - means we likely beat GC and Saints to finish the year, with 5 wins from Teague's 11 games as coach
7 wins - means we also upset one of WCE, Adelaide or Geelong

Disaster would be to lose to GC and finish on 4 wins, the rest gives us a decent finish to the year and hope for 2020.

Who cares what draft pick Adelaide get? Doesn't affect us one bit...other than pride/sticking it to the Cows/Young Reid.
Honestly, I don't even think beating Adelaide would be that big of an upset. We beat Brisbane who are miles better than they are.

The mistake was recruiting him. Never did their homework on him and offered good money.

Teague coached McGovern at the Crows and had a close relationship with him. I’d say the club knew more about him then, than you think you know about him now.

He’s 24yo, talented, playing his first season with a new group, with large chunks of his preseason missed though injury. No one knows what happens next, but I think it fair to give the bloke a run at it before calling this a bust.

This is not like you Soap. Hope all is ok.

Never better. I just can’t condone disrespecting your teammates and the club by not preparing properly. Doesn’t sit well with me at all (maybe it’s my army background)

I was the same when Pickett came back unfit. Just don’t get it.

One game at a time I know, but looking forward to a real grudge match with Adelaide the following week.

Should the CFC win against the GC, the interest for the Adelaide game will be huge and given many positional variables could be a real highlight not just at the game but on this board.

EDIT: This is a bottom of the table clash, yet could feasibly draw 30K to the dome. That would make for a terrific result for the CFC.
Crows , Eagles, Tigers and Cats are going
Eagles and Richmond would be more 70/30 their way.

Geelong I think we have a sneaky chance. They'll be surely resting their players...

Agree with you, Eagles , Tigers , Crows are at the pointing end of the season so wins are demanded they’ll be tenacious opponents make no mistake.
Saints we’ll Richo should be desperate to atone especially against lower ranked teams, not sure on outcome but a possibility.
I too think the Cats will manage the marquee players may so another sneaky possibility.
So 5 wins definitely, to develop to perhaps 6 maybe 7 wins in the end a successful story after all , I reckon.
Go CFC and Teaugy we can do it.

Honestly, I don't even think beating Adelaide would be that big of an upset. We beat Brisbane who are miles better than they are.
I feel like we match up well with Adelaide. Their strength is in the clearances and contested stuff - the Crouch Bros and Sloane - CEY if he's fit. I feel like we are better than them with this in Kreuz, Cripps, Curnow and others.

Cripps especially could have a big day against them. The only matchups I see for him is Ellis-Yoleman (if fit) or Levi Greenwood. Greenwood, though, only in the contest. After that, not so much. don't think would have the discipline to follow him, he's more a forward running player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back