AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

Three times tonight he kicked for goal as if there was no one on the line, and each time it got either touched or marked by a GWS player. So careless. Needs to improve in this area. The one that was 15m out on an angle was just egregious. The other two were about 35-40m, I think.
Agree, a player of his calibre needs to capitalise on those opportunities. Should have had a couple of snags last night.
It's the one thing his game lacks is his ability hit the scoreboard consistently. If he start doing that then he'll find himself in the AA more often than not.

That's about the most frustrating game I can remember watching from Zach. Give the lad credit though, he doesn't know how to drop his head.
He admitted it too, there was an interview with him in the post-game coverage, he knew his kicking was costing us earlier in the game. Made the most of his chances in the last though, as did a few other players.

He needs to work on how to lay a tackle because he needs to learn to tackle without hitting his head on the guy he is tackling. It was kind of funny how he ran in to lay the tackle, the guy he was tackling just keep running while Zac was left laying on the ground like he had run into a wall.

He needs to work on how to lay a tackle because he needs to learn to tackle without hitting his head on the guy he is tackling. It was kind of funny how he ran in to lay the tackle, the guy he was tackling just keep running while Zac was left laying on the ground like he had run into a wall.

Copped point of the shoulder on the point of his chin and got jolted backwards, it looked more like a whiplash kind of thing than a concussion, obviously not ideal but we wouldn’t have taken any chances

Big game for Zach this week, 100 games in the #7 ;)

Little ways to go to over take Bill on the locker but could easily play for another decade!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stepped up as captain this week. Was fantastic.

Only player on field to get over 30 touches. Rushed a few late in that quarter though...

Only player on field to get over 30 touches. Rushed a few late in that quarter though...
Was a weird game stats wise.

Tarrant the only player to go >20 for Norf.

I'm not sure what's going on with Zac, his contested stuff and handballing has never looked better but his kicking has probably been the worst of his entire career this year, regularly missing targets, particularly going inside 50. I'm sure he'll get back to his best at some point, I just hope its this year.

Agree with Blitzer that merrett's kicking has been dead set ordinary this year - you can have a year where one part of your game doesn't effectively work - Interested to see his kicking in 2020.

Agree with Blitzer that merrett's kicking has been dead set ordinary this year - you can have a year where one part of your game doesn't effectively work - Interested to see his kicking in 2020.
Do we judge him more harshly than others?

Has his kicking been up to the standard of previous years? Probably not but I don't think it's that far off last year. I know stats cant be talked around and manipulated but just simply looking at his disposal efficiency its 70% & kicking efficiency is 54%, other prime midfielders we have are Parish DE - 70% KE - 61%; Sheil DE - 66% KE - 55%; Heppell DE - 69.6% KE - 59%. Zach is our leading possession winner(8th in the league for total disposals) and his 11th in the league for effective disposals.... He's not really going at a dead set ordinary level.

For an external comparison Josh Kelly(regarded as a jet by most supporters) is DE - 71% and KE 55%.

I can't help but remember that kick to Mitch Brown 25m out direct in front from a turn over from that spud Thompson, that was millimeter perfect!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back