Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. GWS (R18, Sat 20/07 4:35pm GIA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cant see us going with 8 defenders, so if Howe is in and Schaz comes back I suspect one of Quaynor/Nobel goes out... even though I think we purposely brought in an extra small to match up on all the West Coasts smalls I suspect Schaz wont be back in unless Howe misses

Noble might go upfield
Aish might go upfield
Some are talking Crisp might go upfield but that’s madness

So it’s possible to fit them all in. If they don’t then
Shaz might miss out or
Quaynor might miss out

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd argue if we're serious about Top 4 and the flag this year the next 2 weeks are both must win.

Win both games and Top 4 is all but locked in.

Two makes it a lock but one win only and we are still a very strong chance of top four .

What winning the next two will do is set us up for a home QF

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m struggling a bit re Scharenberg not being a selection this week (if comes to pass).

Yes Howe if ready comes back. But are we seriously not playing Matthew before Quaynor and/or Noble?

Scratching head.

My own theory is they just were not prepared to play him after a three hour plus flight on a harder surface and the return flight.

But surely he comes back in? Especially with Moore despatched.

The guy just is classy with poise, he’d certainly add more to the defence than the aforesaid players above.

Anyway that’s my take.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m struggling a bit re Scharenberg not being a selection this week (if comes to pass).

Yes Howe if ready comes back. But are we seriously not playing Matthew before Quaynor and/or Noble?

Scratching head.

My own theory is they just were not prepared to play him after a three hour plus flight on a harder surface and the return flight.

But surely he comes back in? Especially with Moore despatched.

The guy just is classy with poise, he’d certainly add more to the defence than the aforesaid players above.

Anyway that’s my take.

Totally agree

In howe Shaz Adams
Out Moore Quaynor Pendlebury

Crocker to get a reprieve

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wait..seriously? Crocker stays in and Quaynor out?

Good lord no.

Quaynor out has nothing to do with who stays in. It’s just a matter of Howe and Shaz being better defence options than Quaynor at this stage.

If Pendlebury misses out then Crocker might get a reprieve. It’s either him or recycling the likes of Daicis or Varcoe or Thomas again. It’s nOt as if anybody is bashing the door down. Crocker getting a chance to redeem himself isn’t the worst option.

Quaynor out has nothing to do with who stays in. It’s just a matter of Howe and Shaz being better defence options than Quaynor at this stage.

If Pendlebury misses out then Crocker might get a reprieve. It’s either him or recycling the likes of Daicis or Varcoe or Thomas again. It’s nOt as if anybody is bashing the door down. Crocker getting a chance to redeem himself isn’t the worst option.

From what I have seen of Quaynor these past two matches, I'd say he provides more than Shaz. I love Shaz, but we need some run from defence and that is what Quay provides. Quay can break a line and also push up into the midfield.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
From what I have seen of Quaynor these past two matches, I'd say he provides more than Shaz. I love Shaz, but we need some run from defence and that is what Quay provides. Quay can break a line and also push up into the midfield.

Fair enough. I disagree. Shaz still ahead at this stage due to his skills and defensive capabilities.

From what I saw of Quaynor he has a tendency to give away frees, and his foot skills need refinement because he kicks floaters. Needs more development time.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Shuffling positions to accommodate personnel changes:
  • Adams to replace Pendles in the mids, with Crisp and DeGoey to spend more time in there too
  • Howe to replace Moore in defence
  • Sharenberg to replace Noble in defence, with Noble moving on to a wing to replace Crocker

So that makes it:
OUT Crocker (omit) Moore (inj.) Pendles (inj.)
IN Adams Howe Scharenberg

I've seen a lot of GWS over the years. They have four midfield stars - Kelly, Cognilio, Whitfield and Taranto. The first two will be missing and Whitfield will be playing with sore ribs. But he remains a really tough match-up. WHE is probably most like-for-like. We should tag Taranto or perhaps their next best mid, Hopper.

GWS isn't as potent up forward as they were in the past (especially in marking power), with Patton still out injured and Lobb traded a year ago. Their only reliable goal kickers are Kennedy (Roughead), Himmelberg (Howe) and Greene (Maynard). We match up really well on this current depleted version of GWS. I'm especially excited about seeing Maynard battle with Greene and seeing our trio of ex-Giants rising for the occasion. We really should win this match, and win it well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel Selwood begs to differ when Mr Greenwood stands beside him.
Greenwood didn't tag him this year did he?

I wouldn't bother tagging a one way midfielder like Taranto anyway. He's no Selwood (even though he looks very promising).

I wouldn't bother tagging a one way midfielder like Taranto anyway. He's no Selwood (even though he looks very promising).
Greenwood wasn't even selected to play against Geelong.. It was quite the head scratcher.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yes, you're probably right, we should have sufficient midfield firepower to have a straight head-to-head shoot-out with them. I was probably being overly defensive to suggest we tag Taranto or Hopper.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting take.
I’d politely disagree, Scharenberg is far stronger in what he offers than Quaynor.
IQ does have dash but still is a bit of a way to go. Scharenberg has poise, classy user of the ball. Picks the right options. Fantastic judge in the air of the ball.

If anything and the need to keep Quaynor then Noble should fall out.

Scharenberg should be all but compulsory when selecting our side.

Our mix tends to be 7 defenders or thereabouts with others supporting as required.

B. Scharenberg ~ Roughead ~ Greenwood
HB. Crisp ~ Howe ~ Maynard

I. Quaynor

Aish, Mayne as support networks as required even WHE as a pinch hit down back.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
if we didnt tag Gaff or Shuey then I doubt we will tag anyone at GWS, perhaps a forward lockdown role on Whitfield but that's it I reckon, no midfield tag.

also, any further news on Pendles potentially getting up this week?

None yet from what I've seen. I believe he's seeing the surgeon either tomorrow or Thursday.

I suspect if they give him the go-ahead, he'll test his hand out with handballing, marking, etc. on Thursday or Friday morning before flying out on Friday.

If the surgeon says no, it's onto the next week. And hopefully no longer than that!

Interesting take.
I’d politely disagree, Scharenberg is far stronger in what he offers than Quaynor.
IQ does have dash but still is a bit of a way to go. Scharenberg has poise, classy user of the ball. Picks the right options. Fantastic judge in the air of the ball.

If anything and the need to keep Quaynor then Noble should fall out.

Scharenberg should be all but compulsory when selecting our side.

Our mix tends to be 7 defenders or thereabouts with others supporting as required.

B. Scharenberg ~ Roughead ~ Greenwood
HB. Crisp ~ Howe ~ Maynard

I. Quaynor

Aish, Mayne as support networks as required even WHE as a pinch hit down back.

I probably should have added that I think at the moment quaynor is a better choice than Shaz. This is because Shaz is coming off a lengthy stint and also Quay is quicker. There probably could be a place for both of them to be honest. I don't disagree with the quality of Shaz though. But right now, he still looks a touch rusty.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I reckon this is a bit different though. The Eagles were full strength with Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, Sheed and Redden. You tag one, and the others just step up. You need a combined effort.

GWS are already missing Ward, Coniglio and Kelly. Whitfield is the next in-line. He also plays more of an out-side wingmens role, so you don't have to sacrifice an onballer. It's literally just an outside run-with role.

Take out Whitfield, and the entire onus goes onto younger players such as Taranto and Hopper. I also think it is much easier to tag a pure outsider than an inside mid that wins his own ball. Whitfield is tougher than he looks, but is ultimately an outside wingman.

I think we'd be crazy not to have a plan for him. I reckon Crisp is the guy. He has the endurance base, the pace, and is also a physically stronger unit who can hurt him going the other way. I reckon Toby Greene will be forced onto the ball, which won't be a bad thing because it keeps him away from the goals where he is most dangerous. Maybe Greenwood can follow him midfield or forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back