Game Day Time to bring back the Grand Final replay??

Should AFL HQ bring back the Grand Final replay??

• Yes

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding is that if scores are level after extra time expires, the siren does not sound until there is a score to break the deadlock. Is this correct?

Howabout this scenario... drawn after regular time. Play extra time. At the end of ET, Team A is down by 1 point and marks with 2 seconds left. Siren sounds (as the scores are not tied) and player has a shot after the siren.... and misses. What then? Or does the siren not sound if a team is within 1 point or 6 points?

The standard game time was so closely matched that no winner could be determined so the game is extended to allow one of the teams to show an advantage.

We already do that. If we were going to take into account form for the whole season then the minor premier would be the winner and no finals system needed. If you win every single game in the regular season and all of the lead up games to the GF and fall in a heap on the day you have still lost the match and the premiership for the year.

No if there was no way to tell the winner both Winx and Black Caviar would come first, the winnings divided equally between them and the next horse would be listed as third.

Not sure why you think ten extra minutes is not counted as effort btw ... girding up to keep going after what would have been a heart pounding last 10 minutes of the game would be an extra mental and physical challenge.

Personally I would go for extra times until a winner but if you have to have a limit golden goal not golden point.

Of course if you *have* to have a rematch then play it at the higher finishing team's home ground since we have already fulfilled the MCG GF requirement! :cool:

Your paragraph at the end is an interesting one.

If a replay is needed and West Coast is involved the replay could be in Perth without breaching agreements relating to the MCG?

I say keep playing 2x 5-minute periods of extra time until premier is determined.
If the AFL must have some sort of "next score wins" bullcrap, at least make it golden goal as opposed to golden score. That way a team actually has to win the premiership off their boot as opposed to a shitty rushed behind or something.
Plus the celebration would be absolutely wild.

Yes, it's currently golden point, It should be golden goal.

Let's think of the most unlikely situation. We've gone to Golden Point - Team A, defending desperately, rush the ball through for a point.
Team B - 'Yay! We win".
Ump - "No, it's a free kick for deliberate rushing a behind'.
Team B - 'We don't want the free kick - play advantage'.
Ump - 'Advantage doesn't apply in this case. It's a free kick from the goalsquare, for god's sake!'.

Team B full-forward takes free kick - kicks into man on the mark. Team A then sweep the ball downfield etc......

And everybody's happy.

Super Over was ridiculous for the World Cup final where England had everything go their way throughout. Like the Poms sent out two guys who had their eye in whilst the Kiwis were in the field, that’s a massive difference. Makes sense for T20 but that should’ve been 5 overs again for each side at least if they’re going down that path, which I don’t agree with anyway.

AFL much different and five minutes either way is fine, it doesn’t need a replay but the Golden Point idea sucks. If they want to do that, at least make it a goal.

Should be golden 6... First to score 6 points or more (either via a goal or 6 behinds) are premiers

That bloody stupid .. what happens if you kick with the wind on that day first, kick a point then clog up your forward 50 and bang through a goal what it generally known at the 7 point play.

No !! Extra time 5 mins each way as it currently is, you play until there is a winner not like the joke that currently exists in cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

Hate the idea of a replayed Grand Final, it is a one off game occasion IMO, must be a result on the day.

Extremely unfair on interstate teams as well, it is a national competition, if they went back to the replay it would be disguised as supposed fairness but it would be all about the $$$$.

That bloody stupid .. what happens if you kick with the wind on that day first, kick a point then clog up your forward 50 and bang through a goal what it generally known at the 7 point play.

No !! Extra time 5 mins each way as it currently is, you play until there is a winner not like the joke that currently exists in cricket.
Wouldn't completely rule out that sort or weather event happening but when was the last time the wind was strong enough in one direction at the enclosed colosseum that is the MCG to make a meaningful difference.

BTW do the same golden point rules apply for all finals.

giphy.gif

Hate the idea of a replayed Grand Final, it is a one off game occasion IMO, must be a result on the day.

Extremely unfair on interstate teams as well, it is a national competition, if they went back to the replay it would be disguised as supposed fairness but it would be all about the $$$$.

I think everyone including the AFL lost money on the replay didn’t they ?.

The Saints certainly dropped a ton of unbudgeted cash if I recall correc-crec.

I think everyone including the AFL lost money on the replay didn’t they ?.

The Saints certainly dropped a ton of unbudgeted cash if I recall correc-crec.
I have no idea, but the crowd was 93,000+ so surely they made some dollars, and that's without food/beverage etc. sales.

I have no idea, but the crowd was 93,000+ so surely they made some dollars, and that's without food/beverage etc. sales.

Yeah they probably did on ticket sales, but was it part of the normal contract of hire for the season or did they have to re-contract the MCG for a one off ?.

MCC would have had them over an absolute barrel if not.

Yeah they probably did on ticket sales, but was it part of the normal contract of hire for the season or did they have to re-contract the MCG for a one off ?.

Could play it at Ballarat if the other big grounds do not want it.

I am sure they would put their hands up for a slice. Someone can roll a tin around for some support!!

Tasmania might like a one off Grand Final replay!!

People will still get the TV feed, no problem!!

I still have no idea and I couldn't be bothered looking into it. Someone has the money though.

Gil on radio saying the two halves are no time on and so players will know from clock when its approaching the 5 min mark and if golden score will apply.

Issue i have is no time on. What if player does bad injury and stretcher / buggy called and 3-4 mins of grand final extra time is lost?!?

Hook a rope around a non broken body part and just tow them straight over the boundary.

Back