Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. GWS (R18, Sat 20/07 4:35pm GIA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks. They were both in the eight and we lost them both. Went into that run three games and percentage out of the eight so season already over at that point!

I guess those two games helped us start tanking for Stevo!!!!!
Tanking so that Freo could draft Griffin Logue you mean? Stevo was the next year, our first rounder ended up at Freo that year thanks to Adam Treloar.

We actually won that GWS game thanks to Cloke's glove ;)

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon this is a bit different though. The Eagles were full strength with Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, Sheed and Redden. You tag one, and the others just step up. You need a combined effort.

GWS are already missing Ward, Coniglio and Kelly. Whitfield is the next in-line. He also plays more of an out-side wingmens role, so you don't have to sacrifice an onballer. It's literally just an outside run-with role.

Take out Whitfield, and the entire onus goes onto younger players such as Taranto and Hopper. I also think it is much easier to tag a pure outsider than an inside mid that wins his own ball. Whitfield is tougher than he looks, but is ultimately an outside wingman.

I think we'd be crazy not to have a plan for him. I reckon Crisp is the guy. He has the endurance base, the pace, and is also a physically stronger unit who can hurt him going the other way. I reckon Toby Greene will be forced onto the ball, which won't be a bad thing because it keeps him away from the goals where he is most dangerous. Maybe Greenwood can follow him midfield or forward.
I'd like to see Maynard on Greene again.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tanking so that Freo could draft Griffin Logue you mean? Stevo was the next year, our first rounder ended up at Freo that year thanks to Adam Treloar.

We actually won that GWS game thanks to Cloke's glove ;)

You’re letting the facts get in the way of my ill-thought-out conspiracy.

Greenwood wasn't even selected to play against Geelong.. It was quite the head scratcher.
Wouldn’t have minded him going to Kelly that night... but hey it’s only four points! Ugh....

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Current injury list, the site says Adams will play. Tippin Pendles will put his hand up but they might rest him I feel. Anyone know the timeline for Moore?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Thats just going by the media. But could be less.

Yeah Darcy himself stated it's pretty minor and I guess didn't wanna take a risk in game. In reality I suspect it will be around a month purely on the back of taking any risks. Probably ready before then - reckon there'll phone calls to Germany from the fitness staff.

if we didnt tag Gaff or Shuey then I doubt we will tag anyone at GWS, perhaps a forward lockdown role on Whitfield but that's it I reckon, no midfield tag.

also, any further news on Pendles potentially getting up this week?

Bucks is not someone who Believes in Taggers

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bucks is not someone who Believes in Taggers

Yep. Doesn’t mind a loose tag or a run-with as required. Greenwood has been outstanding as a part of our defensive seven this year and that’s what he should continue to do.

He’s certainly our best tagger but I can’t see him being used for that role this week. It’s a once or twice per year situation.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully we are less conservative in September with Moore than we were last year. I don’t want them taking stupid risks but I hope they don’t err too much on the side of caution
Guess they will be weighing up whether or not he's worth the risk of playing given that he might be underdone or likely to break down.

Last year there seemed to be a line drawn through his name because nobody had confidence in his body. With Roughie now at the club, Moore is not essential, whereas last year we were left with no talls and had to resort to Goldsack.

Elliott certainly missed a long time for a seemingly straightforward injury.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guess they will be weighing up whether or not he's worth the risk of playing given that he might be underdone or likely to break down.

Last year there seemed to be a line drawn through his name because nobody had confidence in his body. With Roughie now at the club, Moore is not essential, whereas last year we were left with no talls and had to resort to Goldsack.

Elliott certainly missed a long time for a seemingly straightforward injury.

Roughy can’t do what Moore can do. Plus compared to last year we are missing Langdon. Moore is crucial to our chances this year and if there’s an injury doubt I hope they are more inclined to roll the dice than they were last year.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well according to people in the know the injury is 2-3 weeks for players without hammy histories, but at least a month for him.

Timmy I don't think you would be happy if we went into a final and were one down early in the match.

Goldsack struggled last year but maybe we take a punt on someone like Apples. I agree with you that Langdon probably won't make it back. Our defence is very injury-prone. At least we have two tall players in Howe and Roughie who has been our best defender this year.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well according to people in the know the injury is 2-3 weeks for players without hammy histories, but at least a month for him.

Timmy I don't think you would be happy if we went into a final and were one down early in the match.

Goldsack struggled last year but maybe we take a punt on someone like Apples. I agree with you that Langdon probably won't make it back. Our defence is very injury-prone. At least we have two tall players in Howe and Roughie who has been our best defender this year.

Funnily enough, Roughy was seen as injury prone by WBD supporters. Now he's proving himself as our most durable defender!

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Funnily enough, Roughy was seen as injury prone by WBD supporters. Now he's proving himself as our most durable defender!
Ha, the height of irony. Funny how he is standing up and all the defenders around him are falling like flies.

Had we not recruited him we would have been stuffed and he came cheap.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club

Howe isn't tall but he does have a magnificent leap which allows him to cover talls on occasions when required. He is at his best playing as a third man up.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
now you’ve done it.

Can hear pandora cranking that box ajar....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back