Player Sponsorship Saints Player Sponsorship - Next Event Tuesday 16th July!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gday all,

not a great result yesty but showed some signs, especially Long and Hunter I reckon..

Anyways next Player Sponsorship event has snuck up on me, it is just over two weeks away!!!
Details are below, please post reply if you are keen to go along and as usual raffle will be completed if two or more say yay

Trivia Night
Tuesday 16th July
Woodlands Golf Club
6pm - 8pm

Based off based reviews of this event, sponsors always have a great time and you get to spend one on one time with Robbie Young for the night

Cheers
Brendan

Where is everyone?? I love trivia night. Lol. I went to the April event so I'll pass on this one.

Thanks boydie for organising.

Basically this, been to one event already, bit of a hike for me though, as in I will have to google the location other side of the state, but love trivia nights.

Opt in and you too can own an apron!

goodie23 and StFly are in the box seat here, think I need to RSVP tomorrow so will give everyone until 7pm tonight to reply if your keen!

It's like a 2 hour each way.

I am begging for someone else to go as my knees cannae do it capn.

It's like a 2 hour each way.

I am begging for someone else to go as my knees cannae do it capn.

goodie23 and StFly are in!

Fly if your struggling let me know and I can sub in if need be.

Have a good night gents!

goodie23 and StFly are in!

Fly if your struggling let me know and I can sub in if need be.

Have a good night gents!

Sub in mate, literally no chance I can make it since I'm at work and it's a 75ishkm trip back by car.

Definitely an interesting night. The first topic of conversation I heard when I walked in the door was how today was handled.

Got there about 5:30ish and followed the signage around the side and in where I found that our table was #14 (Geary's number, a sign, a sign!). Killed time a little bit, went to check who the other player(s) on our table were going to be and as I got to the sheet boydie walked in. Being more observant/less tired he figured out Oscar Clavarino was our other player.

We chilled in the bar until realising others were heading in to the main dining area. Went in and claimed our seats next to two other BigFooty residents, hi guys, then I went and found the measure of just how fancy Woodlands Golf Club is - they have individual hand towels and washing baskets instead of blowers or dryers in the bathroom. Fancy schmancy!

Robbie and Oscar showed up soon enough and joined us at our table. No club gear for the boys tonight, they were all rugged up in their civvies. Lots of flat brim New Era style caps. One player was wearing a cardigan that looked suspiciously like one my (female) better half wears. We wound up with two or three empty seats in the end, boydie didn't have the presence of mind to move one of the napkins so no extra meals for us. The three bread rolls that were put out were subsequently baggsed by Robbie, boydie and myself. Oscar declined despite being a growing boy.

We chatted to the boys on and off, this was boydie's chance to get to know Robbie as he'd already suffered my presence at the Moorabbin tour event earlier this year. Robbie didn't make it back to SA to accept his NAIDOC award but did take part in events here. Oscar's body is feeling pretty good, bit sore after playing on the weekend but nothing unexpected.

With a puff of smoke Satan appeared on the stage. Or more accurately Simon Lethlean grabbed a microphone and calmly walked on the stage, whichever appeals to you more. He pointed out that this was to be a relaxing fun night and so to address the elephant in the room he praised Alan Richardson and offered to take questions. I'll not go into too much detail on this except to say not many questions were asked, one sponsor praised the way Richo and the club handled today.

The MC grabbed the mic and introduced the trivia - it was to be a whole evening of sports trivia with a bar cut-off at 8pm. Robbie named our team To Deadly and there was a whole series of questions ranging from what do Michael Jordan, Anthony Mundine and Erin Phillips have in common (and a bonus point for each name guessed correctly) to predicting who would win a race between a pantomime cow, pantomime unicorn, pantomime goat(?) and a pantomime stallion. The trickiest question showed a clip from this film and offered a point each for the name, the director and the year it was released.

maxresdefault.jpg

First course was brought around, you could have chicken or chicken. At least it was nice chicken, nestled on a bed of what I think was sweet potato and peas. I dunno, I just ate the chicken.

The MC grabbed the mic again and announced the answers. Our table thought this strange as we hadn't swapped answer sheets or anything but I dutifully marked it as somehow I'd wound up with the answer sheet in front of me. I was perhaps a bit truculent when the MC announced the title as the above movie as 'The Mighty Ducks' as it was released in Australia under the title of 'Champions'. We got the entire round right except for the director of the film and the year it was released (we said 93, they said 92). I marked our answer for the name right because it was.

Round two, more sports questions. We had to predict the outcome of a sumo match, predict whether a YouTuber performing a skateboard flip would make it or break it, know the sport that involves use of a foil and try not to point out that the mash-up photo of John Cena and Ronda Rousey looked like Bailey Rice in a wig. Who am I kidding, there were lots of comments to that effect.

Our sheets were collected after round one and I had a word with the MC to explain their error on the movie question. He tried to convince me that the American title was the right one. I was not convinced and countered that I'd seen it in cinemas as 'Champions'.

"But it was called Mighty Ducks in America."

"We're not in America." *dead-eye teacher stare*

He kind of scuttled off with our second answer sheet, leaving us with our first. They shared the answers to round two, we correctly predicted the outcome of the sumo match and the skateboard flip. We were not right about the result of the pantomime race.

They revealed the scores after two rounds, we were in third last place. Josh Bruce was very vocal when it was announced his table was in first place. Robbie then took our answer sheet from round one to the girl marking the scores and pointed out the error. We wanted to make the scores right but also give us a chance to shut Brucey up. We also tried to work out which two tables had scored less in two rounds than we'd racked up in one.

Dessert was brought out, a mix of berries under crumble and a small scoop of ice cream. I'm not a berry person but I had a fair crack, losing interest when I ran out of ice cream and crumble.

Final round involved knowing the number of onfield players in a hockey team, where the 2024 Olympics will be held, the name of the horse Michelle Payne won her Melbourne Cup on and, most difficult of all, the order in which Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting, Andrew Symonds and Adam Gilchrist retired from one-day cricket. We were pretty confident with all our answers.

Answer sheets were collected, more chatting with the boys. Turns out Robbie plays a wide variety of sports, he's an avid 8-ball player and was a state level rugby player (explains the tackling!). Oscar still lives with his folks. Apparently the assistant coaches work out together a bit in the mornings and are all fitter than all the non-footballers at our table, not that that says much. Today was a training day.

Gears hopped up to draw the raffle and talk to the crowd. boydie and I dithered too long out in the bar, first and second prize were well before our tickets. Geary thanked the sponsors for their financial and emotional support.

The MC announced the results. Pretty sure he announced every table, and there were at least 19, in reverse order. Three tied for third place, including Brucey's table (teehee). Another three tied for second. Ahead by one point, was To Deadly!

We all got a bottle of wine and a group photo. Brucey claims we cheated, we could have given our first answer sheet didn't get collected, but we didn't need to.

The evening wrapped up, as usual some boys made straight for the door, others hung around. Alabaskis and Marshall were getting photos with fans in one corner, the former is a very, very big unit. Needed a stepladder on standby.

I grabbed a photo with Clav and then one with The Prospect, then headed for home with my free bottle of win in hand. This was a lot cheaper than my last 'free' bottle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely an interesting night. The first topic of conversation I heard when I walked in the door was how today was handled.

Got there about 5:30ish and followed the signage around the side and in where I found that our table was #14 (Geary's number, a sign, a sign!). Killed time a little bit, went to check who the other player(s) on our table were going to be and as I got to the sheet boydie walked in. Being more observant/less tired he figured out Oscar Clavarino was our other player.

We chilled in the bar until realising others were heading in to the main dining area. Went in and claimed our seats next to two other BigFooty residents, hi guys, then I went and found the measure of just how fancy Woodlands Golf Club is - they have individual hand towels and washing baskets instead of blowers or dryers in the bathroom. Fancy schmancy!

Robbie and Oscar showed up soon enough and joined us at our table. No club gear for the boys tonight, they were all rugged up in their civvies. Lots of flat brim New Era style caps. One player was wearing a cardigan that looked suspiciously like one my (female) better half wears. We wound up with two or three empty seats in the end, boydie didn't have the presence of mind to move one of the napkins so no extra meals for us. The three bread rolls that were put out were subsequently baggsed by Robbie, boydie and myself. Oscar declined despite being a growing boy.

We chatted to the boys on and off, this was boydie's chance to get to know Robbie as he'd already suffered my presence at the Moorabbin tour event earlier this year. Robbie didn't make it back to SA to accept his NAIDOC award but did take part in events here. Oscar's body is feeling pretty good, bit sore after playing on the weekend but nothing unexpected.

With a puff of smoke Satan appeared on the stage. Or more accurately Simon Lethlean grabbed a microphone and calmly walked on the stage, whichever appeals to you more. He pointed out that this was to be a relaxing fun night and so to address the elephant in the room he praised Alan Richardson and offered to take questions. I'll not go into too much detail on this except to say not many questions were asked, one sponsor praised the way Richo and the club handled today.

The MC grabbed the mic and introduced the trivia - it was to be a whole evening of sports trivia with a bar cut-off at 8pm. Robbie named our team To Deadly and there was a whole series of questions ranging from what do Michael Jordan, Anthony Mundine and Erin Phillips have in common (and a bonus point for each name guessed correctly) to predicting who would win a race between a pantomime cow, pantomime unicorn, pantomime goat(?) and a pantomime stallion. The trickiest question showed a clip from this film and offered a point each for the name, the director and the year it was released.

maxresdefault.jpg

First course was brought around, you could have chicken or chicken. At least it was nice chicken, nestled on a bed of what I think was sweet potato and peas. I dunno, I just ate the chicken.

The MC grabbed the mic again and announced the answers. Our table thought this strange as we hadn't swapped answer sheets or anything but I dutifully marked it as somehow I'd wound up with the answer sheet in front of me. I was perhaps a bit truculent when the MC announced the title as the above movie as 'The Mighty Ducks' as it was released in Australia under the title of 'Champions'. We got the entire round right except for the director of the film and the year it was released (we said 93, they said 92). I marked our answer for the name right because it was.

Round two, more sports questions. We had to predict the outcome of a sumo match, predict whether a YouTuber performing a skateboard flip would make it or break it, know the sport that involves use of a foil and try not to point out that the mash-up photo of John Cena and Ronda Rousey looked like Bailey Rice in a wig. Who am I kidding, there were lots of comments to that effect.

Our sheets were collected after round one and I had a word with the MC to explain their error on the movie question. He tried to convince me that the American title was the right one. I was not convinced and countered that I'd seen it in cinemas as 'Champions'.

He kind of scuttled off with our second answer sheet, leaving us with our first. They shared the answers to round two, we correctly predicted the outcome of the sumo match and the skateboard flip. We were not right about the result of the pantomime race.

They revealed the scores after two rounds, we were in third last place. Josh Bruce was very vocal when it was announced his table was in first place. Robbie then took our answer sheet from round one to the girl marking the scores and pointed out the error. We wanted to make the scores right but also give us a chance to shut Brucey up. We also tried to work out which two tables had scored less in two rounds than we'd racked up in one.

Dessert was brought out, a mix of berries under crumble and a small scoop of ice cream. I'm not a berry person but I had a fair crack, losing interest when I ran out of ice cream and crumble.

Final round involved knowing the number of onfield players in a hockey team, where the 2024 Olympics will be held, the name of the horse Michelle Payne won her Melbourne Cup on and, most difficult of all, the order in which Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting, Andrew Symonds and Adam Gilchrist retired from one-day cricket. We were pretty confident with all our answers.

Answer sheets were collected, more chatting with the boys. Turns out Robbie plays a wide variety of sports, he's an avid 8-ball player and was a state level rugby player (explains the tackling!). Oscar still lives with his folks. Apparently the assistant coaches work out together a bit in the mornings and are all fitter than all the non-footballers at our table, not that that says much. Today was a training day.

Gears hopped up to draw the raffle and talk to the crowd. boydie and I dithered too long out in the bar, first and second prize were well before our tickets. Geary thanked the sponsors for their financial and emotional support.

The MC announced the results. Pretty sure he announced every table, and there were at least 19, in reverse order. Three tied for third place, including Brucey's table (teehee). Another three tied for second. Ahead by one point, was To Deadly!

We all got a bottle of wine and a group photo. Brucey claims we cheated, we could have given our first answer sheet didn't get collected, but we didn't need to.

The evening wrapped up, as usual some boys made straight for the door, others hung around. Alabaskis and Marshall were getting photos with fans in one corner, the former is a very, very big unit. Needed a stepladder on standby.

I grabbed a photo with Clav and then one with The Prospect, then headed for home with my free bottle of win in hand. This was a lot cheaper than my last 'free' bottle.

Great write-up goodie23.

What an amazing coincidence that I ended up on the Big Footy table as I was a late call up for a friend's daughter who was unable to attend and we just happened to be seated together.

Robbie and Oscar were great. Oscar a bit on the quiet side but Robbie more than made up for that. It was a good table and we all contributed in some way to the win. It was hilarious with Bruce calling us cheats as we were having our photo taken.

On the sporting front Robbie played ice hockey at high school and played both rugby league and union at State level. He's thrilled to be able to train with Billy Slater but then who wouldn't be. I was able to have a bit of a chat with him about his football background. He grew up in Port Adelaide and was in their system from when he was 12 years old before moving to North Adelaide and playing in their premiership last year.

All in all a good night and we came home winners!

maxresdefault.jpg

Great write up goodie23!

Not sure I can add much more to the write ups from goodie23 and dct66
Chicken was good, I ate the mashed sweet potato and the peas, all bloody good actually and the desert was great also, think goodie is a bit fussy hahaha
Only thing left out was when we went up to claim our bottles of wine for winning the trivia the wiley old Armo walked past and grabbed a bottle also and said something along the lines of "remember I gave you that answer robbie, i got you the win!" which was garbage, Armo's table was one of the worst scores I think hahaha

Oh if this event is on the agenda next season I recommend everyone get on board as it is a casual night with plenty of opportunity to chat to some of the boys etc, less crowding around in their groups like they do in some of the events.

I did ask Robbie who he hangs around with at the club and he said mostly sticks with the brothers (his words not mine) so Longy and Madman Parker. Good to see those guys stick together as I rate all of them so would be good to have them long term

S
Oh if this event is on the agenda next season I recommend everyone get on board as it is a casual night with plenty of opportunity to chat to some of the boys etc, less crowding around in their groups like they do in some of the events.

I did ask Robbie who he hangs around with at the club and he said mostly sticks with the brothers (his words not mine) so Longy and Madman Parker. Good to see those guys stick together as I rate all of them so would be good to have them long term
great write up everyone. One question sticks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back