Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

When Dixon was lining up for goal at the end of the game from 15m out on a slight angle, I saw him open his body up for a snap instead of a simple drop punt and immediately told my dad that he’ll miss this shot.
If only the big fella understood kicking for goal as well as he does cars.
I hope he comes good but jeez he must get sick of being double or triple teamed because we have no other good options up forward.

We all know teams double and triple team Charlie, well here's a hint Ken, Matthew Lloyd on Footy Classified was commenting on Richmond now that Jack Riewoldt is back and how was it going to work with him in tandem with Lynch.
Lloyd said it worked well against the Giants because they stayed away from each other, kept their separation.
I look at WCE and see an open forward line. When other teams flood back the Eagles forwards are running into space even if it means running away from the ball. Our forward zone when we lock it in is a crowded chaotic mess too often. Racking up I50's yet struggling to score.

Dixon can play football but he's handicapped big time by our system (if you could call it that).
Be patient guys Ken says we will be a good footy team. He just needs as many years as possible on that very fat pay packet.

Because when the latest technology was used, ie an NFL dveloped glove, the AFL banned it. Travis Cloke's glove in 2012 was banned the next year, as well as a few others. From January 2013

THE AFL is set to ban six types of gloves after a report found they offered players an unfair advantage.

Collingwood centre half-forward Travis Cloke and his new teammate Quinten Lynch are among players to have used gloves that will be prohibited, Fairfax Media reports. An investigation commissioned by the AFL and carried out by Melbourne's RMIT University found that only four of 10 gloves tested did not provide players with an unfair advantage.

Three Nike gloves - Vaporjet 2.0 Football Receiver, the Magnigrip Elite Remix 2.0 and the Superbad – were rejected, along with the Under Armour Blur II, Ironclad Box Handler Safety and Gilbert Rugby gloves. Cloke uses Nike gloves and Lynch, while at West Coast, has worn an Ironclad glove.

''The AFL commissioned research in response to concerns about gloves providing wearers with an unfair advantage,'' AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said. "Some gloves have now been identified as falling into this category and under the AFL's discretionary powers will no longer be permitted to be worn.'' The introduction to the report said, ''In the 2012 premiership season approximately 10 AFL players regularly wore gloves by choice during league matches, and a further 10 players wore gloves for at least one game for injury reasons.

''The AFL is currently concerned with the potential competitive grip advantage gained by players who wear gloves against opponents who do not. The primary aim of this investigation was to recommend an appropriate maximum legal grip level for gloves utilised by players in the AFL competition, to avoid a significant competitive grip advantage.''

The report found that in dry conditions the high proportion of silicon on the palms of the six banned gloves provided significantly higher average grip than the bare human hand across four tests. ''The bare hand exhibited significantly lower grip levels in dry conditions than wet conditions across all test surfaces,'' the report said. In wet conditions, only the Ironclad and Under Armour provided slightly greater grip than the hand. ''By merging the benchmarking for dry and wet conditions, the overall classification is driven by the results in dry conditions. In other words, the results for wet conditions do not generate any further glove models that exceed human performance,'' the report said.

Travis Cloke in ANZAC game 2012

View attachment 709793

How could it be an unfair advantage when every player has an equal opportunity to wear one? That is ridiculous.

Yeah wow! So the AFL basically outlawed the glove full stop given that they’d only accept older technology and Nike clearly wasn’t prepared to manufacture previous models for a measly 10 AFL players.

So odd though, the AFL cream over how footy “used to be”, but for me as a kid - seeing a KPF like Tredrea clunk a big mark and then take off his glove in the line up is exactly what it used to be.

Thanks for the insight.
They outlawed 6 of the 10 they tested. But as you said players small manufacturers weren't going to make it for just 10 players - Nike would still be making them for NFL players.

The AFL are the most "the look" conscious sport that I regularly follow. Can you image if every player wore one of the Nike gloves because it was scientifically proven it gives an unfair advantage like the swim suits in 2009 did. Caro Wilson and co would say " I don't like it," and whinge about the look of 44 players wearing gloves and then the AFL would wet its pants and ban gloves outright.

Don't know why the players didn't use the other 4 that weren't banned.

They outlawed 6 of the 10 they tested. But as you said players small manufacturers weren't going to make it for just 10 players - Nike would still be making them for NFL players.

The AFL are the most "the look" conscious sport that I regularly follow. Can you image if every player wore one of the Nike gloves because it was scientifically proven it gives an unfair advantage like the swim suits in 2009 did. Caro Wilson and co would say " I don't like it," and whinge about the look of 44 players wearing gloves and then the AFL would wet its pants and ban gloves outright.

The ones that weren’t banned were probably of very limited use.

It’s the same with the scrum cap that Ebert wears, it might make him feel better, but it doesn’t make the slightest difference to concussion, will stop cuts though.

It’s the same with the scrum cap that Ebert wears, it might make him feel better, but it doesn’t make the slightest difference to concussion, will stop cuts though.
Tredders and Schulz used one for a few years. I'm surprised nobody has used a glove like theirs that wasn't in the banned category. You are right that if they believe it helps them, they will keep using it and the psychological component is as important as physical benefit the equipment actually provides.

Didn't Primus insist the whole team wore gloves and sweatbands during one our our Darwin games under him?

Didn't Primus insist the whole team wore gloves and sweatbands during one our our Darwin games under him?
sweat band yes. I don't remember every player wearing a glove.

What's wrong with helping players mark anyway, aren't we trying to make the game more attractive? Let the big forwards take a mark. It isn't an unfair advantage if everybody has freedom of choice to use them or not.

Are we going to ban mouth-guards because some players don't wear them and therefore increase likelihood of needing significant dental work?

What's wrong with helping players mark anyway, aren't we trying to make the game more attractive? Let the big forwards take a mark. It isn't an unfair advantage if everybody has freedom of choice to use them or not.

Are we going to ban mouth-guards because some players don't wear them and therefore increase likelihood of needing significant dental work?
In case you didn't read it probably I will copy and past it again

The AFL are the most "the look" conscious sport that I regularly follow. Can you image if every player wore one of the Nike gloves because it was scientifically proven it gives an unfair advantage like the swim suits in 2009 did. Caro Wilson and co would say "I don't like it," and whinge about the look of 44 players wearing gloves and then the AFL would wet its pants and ban gloves outright.

What glove did the great one wear in 2013?

584064_thumb.jpg

I miss Jay :'(

In case you didn't read it probably I will copy and past it again

The AFL are the most "the look" conscious sport that I regularly follow. Can you image if every player wore one of the Nike gloves because it was scientifically proven it gives an unfair advantage like the swim suits in 2009 did. Caro Wilson and co would say "I don't like it," and whinge about the look of 44 players wearing gloves and then the AFL would wet its pants and ban gloves outright.
While I agree with your point, every NFL receiver wears gloves.

I'd prefer the glove made a comeback. It helped out big marking forwards and the game was richer for it.

I wear a mouthguard in cricket practice but not a helmet. Last Saturday I had a ball whizz past my head at about 115kph. I thought. Hey I'm good my teeth are protected.

Later on I thought yeah that's not sustainable. But while I was batting that little strip of plastic made me feel better

Go Brad

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss Jay :'(
Yeah he wouldn't have a place in our forward line. Sure he can lead, Mark, kick goals reliably, with Brett Ebert under him also getting 40 goals. But Did he double back and press up hard enough? I can't see him off the d50 line kicking it up to Sammy Gray.. I don't think so his "work rate and defensive pressure " aren't Port Adelaide standard.

Yeah, Hinkley would delist him. Old and slow. AND like SPP he was a "trouble player" 🚗🍺 our Social Media board don't want that type at the club blah blah sigh

Lead, Mark, kick straight. AND from the pockets. We killed that poor guys body the way he had to throw himself to mark everything

Compare that to Dixon- try tell me he's even in the same class as a Jay Schultz with a bad back

For anyone wondering why the AFL got rid of gloves.

Have a look at Craig Hutchinson wearing Travis Cloke's banned glove.

Yes, nobody wants to see one handed grabs!

We all know teams double and triple team Charlie, well here's a hint Ken, Matthew Lloyd on Footy Classified was commenting on Richmond now that Jack Riewoldt is back and how was it going to work with him in tandem with Lynch.
Lloyd said it worked well against the Giants because they stayed away from each other, kept their separation.
I look at WCE and see an open forward line. When other teams flood back the Eagles forwards are running into space even if it means running away from the ball. Our forward zone when we lock it in is a crowded chaotic mess too often. Racking up I50's yet struggling to score.

Dixon can play football but he's handicapped big time by our system (if you could call it that).
Be patient guys Ken says we will be a good footy team. He just needs as many years as possible on that very fat pay packet.
I would have really liked that post, but then you had to go and add the last two sentences.:huh:

i actually don't know what kind of forward he is. Doesn't present anywhere near enough for a lead up forward. Takes hardly any contested marks. Basically makes a contest with the odd goal. Can someone explain his role besides some vague 'structure' answer? I really hope we see something more before his career ends.
Output has been modest at best. We get the huff n gruff just give us marks n goals n everything'll be tickerty boo.

Last edited:
Yeah, Hinkley would delist him. Old and slow.
In fairness he had a busted back, wanted 2 and it fell over. A pity all round. Sarj had an army in his corner personally
I loved 'im.
Man he could thread a needle. Team lifting stuff.

Fell over a lot the cagey ol stager and boy oh boy could he creep around on a mark.

What an absolute disgrace. Other side of the ground but similar to the Wines angle in the Showdown last year.

This Stevie J kicking action from right in front of goals is so ****** s**t. Just drop punt it you *******ers.
Untitled.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back