A final drawn after extra time: a footy disaster waiting to happen

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I’d posted about this before but perhaps not.

Its been raised again in the aftermath of the Cricket World Cup Final debacle.

If an AFL final (including a grand final) is drawn, extra time is played - five minutes, plus time on, each way.

However, if the game is tied after extra time... the game switches to golden point. Next score wins.

The problem: there is, specifically in the rules, NO siren sounded if this happens. Play simply continues in the second half of extra time until somebody scores.

With nobody any the wiser.

What the actual fu**?

Possibly the most important game of the year, the game changes fundamentally from regular scoring to golden point... and there’s NO official notice given to anybody that it’s happened? What on earth?

Scoreboard clocks count up.

What possible reason could there be for this?

If it is to be decided this way then for god’s sake... blow the siren, take it back to the centre, bounce the ball, next score wins.

It's not like the AFL to put something in place without thinking it through..

I'm tippin the golden point will be removed for one very important reason: rushed behind. - this is not the way to win it IMO.

Ideally ET is played until a winner is determined, however I fear it will go to golden goal.:(
Why isn't a rushed behind valid? Is it any less valid than someone kicking it off the ground from 5 metres out after all the hard work to get it there has been done by players up the ground? A score isn't just about how it went through the posts, it's about the team effort required to get it to that point.

Why isn't a rushed behind valid? Is it any less valid than someone kicking it off the ground from 5 metres out after all the hard work to get it there has been done by players up the ground? A score isn't just about how it went through the posts, it's about the team effort required to get it to that point.

Of course it's valid but in this scenario I just think it would be an anti climax IMO.

Should be brought back for a centre throw up for the final, sudden death extra time.

Continuing immediately after the second period expires, without a siren, will look messy and confusing. This being the AFL, that will probably have to happen before they change it...

I don't mind it, the only change I would make is blow the siren at the end of the 2nd period of extra time and ball it up where the ball was at that moment so both sides are fully aware of when the golden time starts.
What if the ball was in flight and about to be marked by a forward, and then they blow the siren. So it goes from being a mark and having a shot on goal to win the GF, to instead stopping the play and balling it up. You'd be pissed if the other team then scored after that and you lost the GF.

It's probably why they don't blow the siren, to keep the play continuous.

Surely, they could just flash something up on those huge scoreboards that everyone can see, to indicate that the game has now moved from extra time to golden time, without the need to blow the siren and stop play.

No siren and players being none the wiser to next score wins is a blight on the game.

Golden goal doesn’t work either due to the fact it would be possible to win with a lower score.

Here’s a novel idea. Play another 5 minute period of extra time. If still tied after that, play another. Play them indefinitely until a winner is decided. It’s the only way that truly works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a point can win the game 5 seconds before extra time ends why is it so different after?

The Hawks made back to back grand finals kicked less goals in the prelims.

I haven't made it to a lot of games in person this year, but don't teams hold up signs from the bench now to indicate how long there is to go to combat the runner not being able to scream it around the ground anymore?

Either you get a '0' sign made up, or you rely on players to have the brains to realise that if the scores are equal and the bench has been showing '1' for a while, any score is likely to be a winning score.

Or just move to a countdown clock.

I don't know of any major sports that have adequate rules in place to decide these big games & none of them want to keep playing extra time/overs/sets/whatever all because of TV. The competitors sure as s**t don't care about going an extra 10,20,30 minutes.

It's the last game of the season or tournament, whats the rush? * TV. Keep playing in a fair manner to get a fair result.

What if the ball was in flight and about to be marked by a forward, and then they blow the siren. So it goes from being a mark and having a shot on goal to win the GF, to instead stopping the play and balling it up. You'd be pi**ed if the other team then scored after that and you lost the GF.

It's probably why they don't blow the siren, to keep the play continuous.

Surely, they could just flash something up on those huge scoreboards that everyone can see, to indicate that the game has now moved from extra time to golden time, without the need to blow the siren and stop play.

What? They can’t blow the siren? Like they do at the end of the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter, fourth quarter, and the first half of extra time?

I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Golden point, golden goal... whatever it is, at least it’s clear.

But how on earth, and why, can there be no siren to end normal scoring and begin the golden point period? It’s a completely fundamental change to the game, in the biggest game of the year. It makes no sense at all and would be an absolute farce.

Of course it's valid but in this scenario I just think it would be an anti climax IMO.

Just like the 1996 prelim - such an anti climax - Plugger should have had to kick a goal

Most hit the posts

I think people are getting too caught up in the semantics about the possibility of a team winning with a rush behind

Let's say scores are level when there is 5 seconds left and the ball gets rushed through for a behind, and as the opposition brings the ball back in from the point the siren goes and everyone cheers as the game was an epic encounter won by the smallest of margins.

Why would it be a tragedy if that ball was rushed 10 secs later (and 5 secs after the siren would have gone)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back