Game Day Time to bring back the Grand Final replay??

Should AFL HQ bring back the Grand Final replay??

• Yes

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They would always pre-book the MCG for a replay if needed. They would have had a special deal regarding costs (staffing, cleaning, ground maintenance) if it wasn't required.

I've seen the cricket curator start the monday after the GF - obviously they wouldn't do that if there was a replay coming.

Pretty easy decision I would have thought. ET until we have a winner!

The Port v Eagles final in 2017 was a brilliant spectacle for entertainment and drama.

That epic duel between Isner and Mahut at Wimbledon in 2010 where the final set kept going until 70-68.

Both these games are remembered today as epics. Football is a number of things and the team who's tougher for longer should be rewarded.

Lol * off anyone who wants a replay. 2010 was dog s**t and we waited a week for it. Those who wanted to keep it overwhelmingly lived in a Melbourne bubble unsurprisingly.

Only change I'd make is, if tied after extra time, start the sudden death extra time with a ball up in the middle. Continuing on without a siren will be messy.

The current system is flawed if only for the golden point rule in the event of a tie after five minutes each way of extra time.
Should be golden goal, not point.
Can you imagine a side winning a flag by deliberately rushing a behind or the ruckman punching the ball through for a behind in a throw in or ball up near goal?

Except we can just keep extending the time, if that unlikely event were to happen. This was clear England bias, dictating the rules and the result. We won't have the same issues in the AFL, given that it's not one country's organization dictating the result against another.

Wheatley is a moron lol. He's Geelong, but he's still a moron. Grand Final replays are a product of a bygone era, and will never emerge again. Extra time is such a simple thing to add in a high scoring quick game like AFL, that rescheduling and bringing everyone back again serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things.
The ICC's rules are dictated more by India than England these days, even with the MCC being the keeper of the Laws. The boundary countback is an ICC Playing Condition, not an ECB rule.

I loved the replay, but in the national competition the travel demands are patently unfair when it is one Vic and one non-Vic team. Why they can't just keep playing extra time until a decider I don't know. Golden Point without at the very least starting fresh from a centre ball-up is just madness. But, like the ICC WC, so long as everyone is aware of the rule I guess it can't be "unfair", just stupid.

The current system is flawed if only for the golden point rule in the event of a tie after five minutes each way of extra time.
Should be golden goal, not point.
Can you imagine a side winning a flag by deliberately rushing a behind or the ruckman punching the ball through for a behind in a throw in or ball up near goal?
But you can deliberately rush a behind to win the flag at the end of normal time.

What if a team gets 7 behinds during golden goal then the other team goals and wins the flag even though they had a lower score?

But you can deliberately rush a behind to win the flag at the end of normal time.

What if a team gets 7 behinds during golden goal then the other team goals and wins the flag even though they had a lower score?
fair point
Would still prefer golden goal to golden point.

Back