Coach Fyfe isn't the first player to be 'bumped and bruised' off the ball, and he won't be the last...So why the outrage from Lyon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Is it just me, or is this whole thing all a bit odd?

As the title suggests, it seems a little strange how Lyon has come out and 'defended' his star player in Fyfe, when he used to be the king of employing tagging tactics? If anyone remembers Steven Baker at the Saints, he's the only player that got banned for life due to his 'unorthodox' tactics...and we all remember Ryan Crowley...

I watched both games that dealt with this issue on the weekend (Fyfe and Neale coincidentally enough being former Lyon coached teammates) and Neale's treatment was far more under-handed. One particular incident didn't get much coverage, but at one stage, a player just forcefully pushed Neale into the goal post without provocation. Fyfe, however, was in the contest and has dealt it with his whole career, being the superstar that he is. Nothing malicious, just tough play and being kept away from the ball.

Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett, Bartel, and now T. Kelly, are all players that come to mind from my club who have had to deal with this throughout their careers. Dusty cops it every week, as does Sloane, Cripps, Bont, J. Kelly, Shuey (Mitchell last year) and numerous others. Why this specific outrage from Lyon and comments from Mundy, when this is what comes with being an 'elite player' in the comp?

Is this being used as a distraction tactic? Does Lyon genuinely not remember the tactics he employed as a coach at both clubs?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney

Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett, Bartel, and now T. Kelly, are all players that come to mind from my club who have had to deal with this throughout their careers. Dusty cops it every week, as does Sloane, Cripps, Bont, J. Kelly, Shuey (Mitchell last year) and numerous others. Why this specific outrage from Lyon and comments from Mundy, when this is what comes with being an 'elite player' in the comp?

Is this being used as a distraction tactic? Does Lyon genuinely not remember the tactics he employed as a coach at both clubs?

Anyone shed some light?

2 cents

Lyon is
a. experienced and smart enough to:
-Not tell the full story to the media
-Never denigrate your players publicly
b. Shrewd enough to
- Take the opportunity (of media questions) to point out to umpires Fyfe is being "checked", (blocked roughed up) behind the play
c. Clever enough
-Too send a subtle message (via opportunity) to the rest of the team to get in and help Fyfe out and toughen up a bit.

Your list of examples have plenty of blokes around them to help out.

Best recent example was Bont (few weeks ago) . In the game he excelled , but Libba (until injured again) was in the middle specifically to put in the tough and block and make way for Bont to shine.

Lyon says he wished he had 3 Fyfes! Ie the rest step up.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Any player who dares to lay a finger on Selwood, Dangerfield or Ablett gets paid an instant free kick against them.

Man it would be nice if some Tiger supporters could just act civilly in a forum thread for once. I even mentioned Dusty as one of the 'targets', but nope, still have to go for the little 'jab.'

What does this actually achieve posting that comment? Doesn't further the discussion, just creates discord. Go somewhere else if you can't behave like an adult.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Note to all: The point of this thread was to point out the hypocrisy in Lyon complaining about 'checking' tactics and saying he's 'sick of it.' This followed by commentary along the lines of 'players will have to take matters into their own hands if nothing is done', to protect Fyfe.

He complains publicly when he himself used to be the king of employing such tactics at both clubs he's coached. That's rank hypocrisy.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you are reading too much into it

It's clearly a standard deflection move by Lyon to take the focus off their terrible form
This. Fremantle aren’t winning and Ross is annoyed. The reactionary AFL will instruct the umpires to ‘look out for Nafe’ this weekend.

Fyfe 31 touches and 3 goals this weekend.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

As the title suggests, it seems a little strange how Lyon has come out and 'defended' his star player in Fyfe, when he used to be the king of employing tagging tactics? If anyone remembers Steven Baker at the Saints, he's the only player that got banned for life due to his 'unorthodox' tactics...and we all remember Ryan Crowley...

I watched both games that dealt with this issue on the weekend (Fyfe and Neale coincidentally enough being former Lyon coached teammates) and Neale's treatment was far more under-handed. One particular incident didn't get much coverage, but at one stage, a player just forcefully pushed Neale into the goal post without provocation. Fyfe, however, was in the contest and has dealt it with his whole career, being the superstar that he is. Nothing malicious, just tough play and being kept away from the ball.

Thoughts?
Banned for life?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Man it would be nice if some Tiger supporters could just act civilly in a forum thread for once. I even mentioned Dusty as one of the 'targets', but nope, still have to go for the little 'jab.'

What does this actually achieve posting that comment? Doesn't further the discussion, just creates discord. Go somewhere else if you can't behave like an adult.

Well you raised this tactic by a coach, any coach as a big deal, dont get precious.

Lyon is not the first, nor will he be the last coach wanting more protection for his star players.

Fyfe, however, was in the contest and has dealt it with his whole career, being the superstar that he is. Nothing malicious, just tough play and being kept away from the ball.
Have noticed the last couple of Freo home games that there has been some bumps etc that were truly off the ball which is probably what he was referring to (iirc Duggan copped a fine for one of them during the derby), rather than bumps actually in the contest.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
To get a rise out of the media flogs most likely. Fyfe knows he's a target for most teams and likely doesn't care. Lyon seems to enjoy ******* with the media tho so who knows

Interesting.

Is Ross precious or are you?

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
It shows how completely out of touch Ross is with the modern game. The best players on every team cop sh*t off the ball every game - Kennedy for example basically gets molested week in/ week out in the West Coast forward line, but I couldn't tell you the last time he won a free kick for it.

What Ross has done is basically come out and said "Fyfe and I don't like it, so stoooooop" - well damn, guess that means opposition players will leave him alone then and not, you know, get all up in his sh*t even more because it f*cks with his ability to play the way he wants to and makes Ross lose games of football. No sir-ee.

Why don't you just come out and tell the umpires to let Matera have more of the ball while you're at it, because he is such a hard trier? Or that Walters should get more free kicks because he flops around on the ground like a toddler having a tantrum all the time, you absolute muppet.

Hes allowed to have an opinion, he watches his players closer than all of us. Good players get attention more than role players.

Look at Lachie on the weekend. Fyfe needs his team mates to step up if hes getting shunted out of the game and if they do you get the game that Port got on the weekend, they focused Lachie and we piled on 7 goals with the rest of our midfield stepping up.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It shows how completely out of touch Ross is with the modern game. The best players on every team cop sh*t off the ball every game - Kennedy for example basically gets molested week in/ week out in the West Coast forward line, but I couldn't tell you the last time he won a free kick for it.

What Ross has done is basically come out and said "Fyfe and I don't like it, so stoooooop" - well damn, guess that means opposition players will leave him alone then and not, you know, get all up in his sh*t even more because it f*cks with his ability to play the way he wants to and makes Ross lose games of football. No sir-ee.

Your use of Kennedy is pathetic - Ross has used a tactic to get the umps to take notice, no more, no less.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Your use of Kennedy is pathetic - Ross has used a tactic to get the umps to take notice, no more, no less.

Ross has used a tactic to wave a red rag at a bull, the same way Gary Ablett starting doing his 'nana when players figured out that he didn't like close attention. Why not tell opposition players to not target his obviously sore shoulder while he's at it?

Ross is a f*ckwit who needs to stop sooking about why he's losing games and fix his sinking ship.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Ross has used a tactic to wave a red rag at a bull, the same way Gary Ablett starting doing his 'nana when players figured out that he didn't like close attention. Why not tell opposition players to not target his obviously sore shoulder while he's at it?

Ross is a f*ckwit who needs to stop sooking about why he's losing games and fix his sinking ship.

He isn’t sooking, he is just playing games with the media. This is the man who used Steven Baker to basically just be a dick to his direct opponent; the amount that he scragged Stevie J behind the ball was legendary.

He doesn’t give two shits in reality. He is just sending a message to the rest of his players to man up and look after Fyfe. And if Fyfe gets a couple more frees out of it, then win/win.

I don’t like Lyon all that much, but everything he says has a purpose. He is a master at trolling the media and a lot of this forum it seems.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Cant say I agree with anything you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back