History Will South Australia ever recover?

Byron Porkett

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Although South Australians will tell you it was the collapse of the State Bank that brought the state to its knees, it hasn't been the same since Don Dunstan was Premier. Being the only state that was "settled" by non-convicts, the state has always looked down at others with contempt. Which is why the Adelaide establishment and 'boys club' has been able to permeate for so long; in everything from business, politics, the infamous "family" to the Adelaide Crows. Yet, the reality most South Australians don't realise is that all other Australians don't look upon them with envy; rather the pity of being the poor club-footed cousin with an intellectual disability. This has been to the detriment of the State that is the butt-end of all jokes and viewed as an economic and social wasteland.

Which begs the question, will South Australia ever recover to it's glory days of the 1940'/50's? With a troubled economy, low wages, mediocre education and little to attract tourists other than wine (which, let's face it you can get in any Dan Murphys), what can save South Australia?

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Not really, it's what happened when the country became even more centred on Melbourne and Sydney. It doesn't help when the current Government splashes hundreds of thousands of tax payer dollars on driverless bus trials that run at 18 km/h and require a driver to sit there in case something goes wrong.

Dazlington

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Population says it all. Has gone from Australia’s third largest capital to 5th and going backwards fast

Byron Porkett

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Losing ground on all other capitals
Exactly.

Suffering major effects of a brain-drain as young students flock elsewhere for opportunities and higher wages. Cannot imagine why a young fella would want to stick around SA

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I like the size of Adelaide. Honestly wouldn't enjoy experiencing it with a much greater population.

In any case, the government really needs a long term strategy for reshaping the state's economy and industry. Wine is great and will continue to be a big part of SA industry, but they need to find something else niche to invest in. Tech could be one option - particularly medical research, training and manufacturing, but tech in general.

Reckon turning the Holden factory into a medical marijuana production facility and changing the state laws to facilitate it was a gold mine they choose to ignore for political reasons. Could have set up the first mass production line in the country in preparation for the seemingly inevitable change to laws regarding cannabis nationally. Would have been in the box seat to cash in.

Byron Porkett

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Adelaide is a quaint country town. Not a bad place to pass through on your way to some wine tasting.
Can taste wine though when they uncork the bottles at Saturday at the Dan Murphy's down the road and save a trip SA. Not much to see/do in the city itself
You mean there's a city in this country that isn't an overpopulated gridlocked s**t hole?
Try Darwin friend. Capital city that takes 5 mins to get in and out

Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
The state suffers compare to others on the mainland - it doesn't have the same fortune of resources that feed Queensland and WA, nor the population base to sustain the service industries that Sydney and Melbourne can attract.

Adelaide is great for what it is - it doesn't need to be a giant metropolis, and geography prevents that anyway. Never too far from the beach, the hills or the CBD. Housing is affordable. Probably one of the best climates of all the capitals.

In regards to long-term economic growth, there are green shoots that could lead the way with the right political leadership. Renewable technology and medical research and all those associated jobs come to mind. Stopping the brain drain needs to be a part of that. and I'm not sure there's an easy answer - so many people I know upped stumps and went interstate once uni was over.

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
The best part of SA.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The state suffers compare to others on the mainland - it doesn't have the same fortune of resources that feed Queensland and WA, nor the population base to sustain the service industries that Sydney and Melbourne can attract.

Adelaide is great for what it is - it doesn't need to be a giant metropolis, and geography prevents that anyway. Never too far from the beach, the hills or the CBD. Housing is affordable. Probably one of the best climates of all the capitals.

In regards to long-term economic growth, there are green shoots that could lead the way with the right political leadership. Renewable technology and medical research and all those associated jobs come to mind. Stopping the brain drain needs to be a part of that. and I'm not sure there's an easy answer - so many people I know upped stumps and went interstate once uni was over.
I'm part of that brain drain having moved to the UK instead. I had offers from my company to move to Melbourne to take a more senior role in an area I didn't want to be in, same with Sydney. Moved to the UK just after to take a sidestep role into something more what I wanted to do. Now I've been there 2 years and am currently awaiting my sponsorship visa to go back. Also got myself an Irish girlfriend who doesn't want to leave Ireland.. so yeah, nothing will probably get me back.

Logical capital for an Australian Space industry.
Potential is huge, but we'll probably piss up the chance to establish any value-add industry and just give away subsidies for another coal mine somewhere.

Byron Porkett

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Potential is huge, but we'll probably piss up the chance to establish any value-add industry and just give away subsidies for another coal mine somewhere.
The NT a better choice really.

World-class education combine with easy passage into Asia for the academic nerds, plenty of clear skies and land, and not the red-tape and regulatory environment of SA

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The NT a better choice really.

World-class education combine with easy passage into Asia for the academic nerds, plenty of clear skies and land, and not the red-tape and regulatory environment of SA
Someone has been drinking too much.

New submarines every 40 years should do the trick

The state has a peasant mentality, stating why things can’t be done rather than why they can.

“We can’t build over four stories”
“We can’t build a big mine bigger”
“We can’t survive off the government teet”

They have great wine, seafood and general agriculture.

They have some of the best tourist destinations and restaurants.

They have some of the best mines and exploration opportunities.

They have some of the greatest medical services and medical research.

Sadly despite this great foundation, they’d rather live on their knees and suck in subsidies rather than taking risks and capitalising.......and who pays the price for that peasant culture? The youth!

As a result the energetic youth leave and so to, the opportunity to change the peasant mentality.

Dazlington

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adelaide is ok if you got a good reason to be there -

I guess I haven't had a good reason to be there for the last 10 years or more

Been trying for the last hour but really struggling to find a single good reason to go there

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Been trying for the last hour but really struggling to find a single good reason to go there

If you live in Brisbane, then it's an easy choice to make.

Pack up and leave now.

Would have thought Perth would be a better choice
It's more efficient to launch a rocket near the equator. The speed required to hold orbit is easier to get to near the equator because the Earth is moving faster (circumference divided by 24 compared to the circumference at the poles divided by 24) gives you km/h.

Back