Most spectacular players in the league

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
There are some players that consistently amaze, excite, 'wow' us. They may not be overall the 'best' or most effective players, and there are many great players who do a lot for their team, who are technically sound, who generally don't do anything too spectacular or amazing, but they definitely stand out, whether it be for marking prowess, goal kicking, or just spectacular ball movement or handling. This would be my selection, in no particular order:

Liam 'Flyin' Ryan: He undoubtedly takes some of the most spectacular marks, which is amazing given his size. Has a great sense of timing and natural instinct for it. Plus he can kick some freaky crumbling goals. Almost like Eddie Betts crossed with Jeremy Howe.

Jeremy Howe: Speaking of which, probably takes 'speccies' more consistently than anyone who's ever played the game. At least in the modern era.

Lewis Jetta: It might surprise some, but personally when he's at his best he's absolutely sublime. Just the silky ball handling, even when he's at full tilt or in wet weather, or in congestion. Honestly even among the best there are few that can match him. Pity he can't excel a bit more consistently.

Eddie Betts: I think enough has been said about Eddie, has a freakish ability to put the ball through the big sticks. There's always a lot of excitement when he gets it.

Gary Ablett Jnr: Still the best overall player in the league imo, nine times out of ten when Gaz gets the ball he makes something happen. Just seems to be able to know how to evade and attack with ease. His movement through congestion is something to behold.

Dustin Martin: Like GAJ is clearly on another level, his ability to dodge, weave, twist and turn, and his trademark 'don't argue', elite field and goal kicking skills, make him clearly one of the best.

Lance 'Buddy' Franklin: Of course enough has been said about Buddy, but he is a genuine superstar. Can kick the most improbable goals (and miss the most probable ones), and is pretty good on the ground for a big fella. Sometimes it seems like it takes half a team to bring him down lol.

Marcus Bontempelli: Doesn't usually get the most touches, but almost all his disposals are effective. Just has a really natural touch, and ability to just push it forward.

Jordan DeGoey: His combination of strength and speed make him very dangerous, but also really exciting to watch (as much as I hate it when we play the Pies lol). Can kick some real pearlers.

Nic Naitanui: Possibly the most exciting player to watch, though it's subjective. Just has an enormous presence, and his so agile for a big man. A beast in the ruck, can run, mark, kick goals, bust through packs, just throw his weight around. A shame he's been injured so much.

So that would probably be my top 10 for now. I know it's kind of biased towards the Eagles, lol, but I really think those three are up there. Some other honourable mentions/candidates, among many:

Patrick Dangerfield
Tim Kelly
Ben Brown
Toby Green
Nat Fyfe
Aaron Naughton
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Eric Hipwood
Jack Ziebel
Cameron Zurhar
Orazio Fantasia
Anthony McDonald-Tipingwuti
Easton Wood
Jake Stringer
Patrick Cripps
Charlie Curnow
Matthew Kruezer
Max Gawn
Robbie Gray
Sam Powell-Pepper

If Danger's ability to carry the ball out of the middle at breakneck speed is not spectacular, then I need to reassess things. He is right up there and arguably the most spectacular player at Geelong

If Danger's ability to carry the ball out of the middle at breakneck speed is not spectacular, then I need to reassess things. He is right up there and arguably the most spectacular player at Geelong

Yeah could easily be top 10 too, it's kinda subjective. But I have GAJ a bit higher personally.

Yeah could easily be top 10 too, it's kinda subjective. But I have GAJ a bit higher personally.
I'd have put GAJ there years ago, but now he is just uber efficient without, IMO, being spectacular. Again, it is subjective

I'd have put GAJ there years ago, but now he is just uber efficient without, IMO, being spectacular. Again, it is subjective

True. I mean neither are as spectacular as some, but I guess to me Jnr impresses me a tad more. But it's splitting hairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flyin' Ryan and Jeremy Howe for sure, and Walla and Betts have some special highlights. I'm a fan of both the Cameron brothers based on what they've shown this year.

Obligatory "mention a player from my team": Hayden Crozier's work in the air has been exceptional this year. Huge mark against the pies but he pulls down a speccy every week.

There are so many in the league so il stick to some from my team I enjoy.

Martin for his explosiveness with hus fend off and 1 on 1 strength that heS shown since his debut season.

Riewoldt for the many great high flying marks he has taken.

Stack for a lot of wow moments already in his young career.

Again, a lot of great players across the league doing amazing plays.

There are so many in the league so il stick to some from my team I enjoy.

Martin for his explosiveness with hus fend off and 1 on 1 strength that heS shown since his debut season.

Riewoldt for the many great high flying marks he has taken.

Stack for a lot of wow moments already in his young career.

Again, a lot of great players across the league doing amazing plays.
Stack? * me..... you name 3 and Stack who has played about 5 games is one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back