Opinion Gil and Steve are wankas - opposition supporters welcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

THAT'S the whole idea mate.

We need to slow the game down and open it up, and the only way of doing that is creating a scenario where players are trained to run out 120 minutes of a match, without a break.

If we keep the current regime, then we are going to keep the rubbish that passes for modern footy.

oh gawd im finding myself agreeing with snake baker.

I feel dirty. :p

Hmmm, really Steve really. The sooks haven't arked up again have they Steve, have they come running to the principal because the other team is fighting back.

Hocking pointed out that 161 tackles were applied during Geelong’s win over St Kilda on the weekend, saying the league wanted “a balance in tackling”.

It’s funny, i want to know the metrics and who or how they get their data on the stats (which they use to justify their decisions).
Ratings are up? Ok, but let’s dig a little deeper. What’s the engagement levels? Because everyone i talk to or know who supports footy are less engaged than ever and are watching less. Who are the AFL talking to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, really Steve really. The sooks haven't arked up again have they Steve, have they come running to the principal because the other team is fighting back.

Hocking pointed out that 161 tackles were applied during Geelong’s win over St Kilda on the weekend, saying the league wanted “a balance in tackling”.
What fecking League?!? The League to dismember this great game?!?!

It’s funny, i want to know the metrics and who or how they get their data on the stats (which they use to justify their decisions).
Ratings are up? Ok, but let’s dig a little deeper. What’s the engagement levels? Because everyone i talk to or know who supports footy are less engaged than ever and are watching less. Who are the AFL talking to?

Xactly right...they are in trouble...they are only interested in increases of dollars in the TV rights...
Anything to make that occur is the AFL's focus...make the game attractive to the TV corporates and their TV advertisements!

Here we go again change the rules or tweake something for the sake of it when not needed. Touch something or do something under these clowns to be seen as doing something cannot leave the game alone you won't get rule changes in lawn bowls like this.Haven't they learn from the new rules they introduced to increase scoring we have record lows the opposite instead laughable.

Time for opposition teams to absolutely start terrorising Geelong I think.

Really give them something to bitch and moan about.

Start tackling to absolutely hurt them. Make them feel it.

When a player comes off, they don't go back on, the same as the way the game was played when their was a 19th & 20th man (Pre -1978).

It would slow the game down, promote the fundamentals of the sport, and add significant tactical intrigue to matches.

A 6 man bench means a side could take 3-4 midfielder/flankers, 1-2 KPP's & an extra ruckman in to matches. Injuries influencing matches can be significantly overcome.

That has to be the worst idea I've ever heard.

Edit: Mind you, I've grown up with modern footy and love the game the way it currently is.

It's not "old school style" mate. It's actually the fundamentals of the sport.

The modern game has been tweaked in to this basketball rubbish.

I'd argue the old style is more like basketball. There was stuff all tackles, defined positions for players and the lack of pressure meant it was "aerial ping-pong". Just because blokes clocked each other now and then doesn't mean the actual game play was more physical overall.

The style today is closer to rugby union if we have to make a cross-sport comparison. There is a lot of tackling, the match is about territory, most players push up and down the ground with the ball and the pressure on the player means disposal is harder and it ends up more like a rolling maul at times.

Neither is wrong or right to me, it's just been the evolution of the game and the 16 coaches and their support staff are collectively smarter than Steve Hocking and his support staff so they can sit up there and change rules but I guarantee how they sell and foresee the rule changes and how they actually change matches on gameday will be warped by the coaches every time.

However Steve Hocking wants to spin the "look of the game" he doesn't really give a stuff about that, he really cares about getting 15+ goals a game because then Channel 7 gets more ad breaks, and gets more ad dollars, which therefore makes the rights deals even more valuable and the AFL gets richer. Simples.

Xactly right...they are in trouble...they are only interested in increases of dollars in the TV rights...
Anything to make that occur is the AFL's focus...make the game attractive to the TV corporates and their TV advertisements!

I’m 45. I don’t know anyone over the age of 30 who is totally engaged with the game or is reflective of what Gil and Stephen are saying? Do they just survey 10 year old kids and AFL house staff members?

I’m 45. I don’t know anyone over the age of 30 who is totally engaged with the game or is reflective of what Gil and Stephen are saying? Do they just survey 10 year old kids and AFL house staff members?

Gerard Whately and Channel 7 execs!!

He is deluded, most fans hate the new rules and 6-6-6 is the most useless rule ever introduced, it was a rule introduced for one team and one player only, Geelong and Patrick ' i want to run away like Judd with no one in front of me ' Dangersook.

Fans are not turning up because of the new stupid rules.

And make games awful to watch when both teams are dead on their feet and can't get to contests or kick over a jam tin. West Coast a perfect example last friday, down on interchange players + dead on their feet = flooding the backline trying to hold on for grim death, is this how you want every game to look in last qtrs.

agree about 6-6-6 - its only relevant in the last 5 mins of the game, other than that its actually contributed to tighter defence first oriented footy by the coaches this year.

The only reason wce and other sides are dead on their feet when down rotations is bc of the way theyre trained and conditioned - to be able to run hard and recuperate with a quick 2-4 min break on interchange. Take that away or reduce it significantly to say 10 per qtr and the conditioning of afl players will change and they'll be able to run out games better. Before B1 and B2 go making more changes, at least give it a run for a season or two and lets see the outcome. The biggest negative I can foresee is it will probably see some flooding come back but the games worked through it before and can again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THAT'S the whole idea mate.

We need to slow the game down and open it up, and the only way of doing that is creating a scenario where players are trained to run out 120 minutes of a match, without a break.

If we keep the current regime, then we are going to keep the rubbish that passes for modern footy.
Fatigue often goes hand in hand with injuries, I don't like injuries so we will have to agree to disagree

Going by this statement crowd numbers and ratings reflect the fans approval of the changes, I hate this ******* campaigner!!!!

Addressing the impact of rule changes on the competition, Hocking said that the margin between teams had been under two goals for 76 per cent of game time this year – and that fans’ feedback had been positive about the change to the six-six-six centre bounce rule, evident in increased crowds and ratings compared with 2018.
A whole bunch of weasel words to justify his Agenda...fans have been positive...evident in increased crowds and ratings compared with 2018...
Oh yeah...evident...a lot!

agree about 6-6-6 - its only relevant in the last 5 mins of the game, other than that its actually contributed to tighter defence first oriented footy by the coaches this year.

The only reason wce and other sides are dead on their feet when down rotations is bc of the way theyre trained and conditioned - to be able to run hard and recuperate with a quick 2-4 min break on interchange. Take that away or reduce it significantly to say 10 per qtr and the conditioning of afl players will change and they'll be able to run out games better. Before B1 and B2 go making more changes, at least give it a run for a season or two and lets see the outcome. The biggest negative I can foresee is it will probably see some flooding come back but the games worked through it before and can again.
Interesting that Dimma says that if you lower the interchange cap then the game will be prone to flooding.

We can't control the other clubs or the AFL but we surely have some influence over our own club. Dimma said in his interview that he wants things to remain as they are for a while and if there are any changes it should be to remove rules. 100% agree.

Apparently "the clubs" signed off on last years changes. Well we need to make sure our club doesn't act until members are given a proper voice.

As I said in my membership survey, I was shocked and disappointed to find that Richmond had ticked off last years changes without our knowledge.

I think as supporters we need to act now. Before it's too late and make some noise. Hopefully other clubs like Collingwood join in.

It tells you just how far away these chumps are from the real supporter base of AFL.

If they really want to fix the game .. then they need to reward good tackling FFS! How many times do you see in a game where there is congestion and opposition players are trying to hold the ball in against the only guy prepared to get the ball to get a soft free kick, then later on you see a player take possession try and bust through the on coming tackler for the ball to come "loose" and its call play on.

Same with a push in the back, ever since the AFL decided to become stricter with hand in the back interpretation instead of just using common sense, they have now gone completely the other way and it's ok to push your opponent in the back and as the season has progressed its now beyond a joke with how much you can push your opponent.

That's why supporters are losing love for the game, has nothing to do with too many tackles & too much congestion but everything to do with not rewarding real footy players. You want to fix the game fix the umpiring standards, supporters will be happier because umpires are finally being consistent in their interpretations.

We can't control the other clubs or the AFL but we surely have some influence over our own club. Dimma said in his interview that he wants things to remain as they are for a while and if there are any changes it should be to remove rules. 100% agree.

Apparently "the clubs" signed off on last years changes. Well we need to make sure our club doesn't act until members are given a proper voice.

As I said in my membership survey, I was shocked and disappointed to find that Richmond had ticked off last years changes without our knowledge.

I think as supporters we need to act now. Before it's too late and make some noise. Hopefully other clubs like Collingwood join in.

I hate Collingwood with a ******* passion.
However I feel they are on the same side here as us.
Buckley calling out Geelong's leg up on SEN was great.
Two biggest clubs in Richmond and Collingwood uniting against Gill and Hocking makes me feel ill.
However I know it's for the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back