2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

So what Hill was available this year instead we pick up guys like Switta who as a small fwd doesn’t kick goals and Shultzs who can’t get a game, there right in front of our eyes and we still over look them , btw not only small fwds any player in general.
See if you can spot the difference there. And here are a couple of hints. Age and draft pick.

I am also quite fine with players getting out of WA for awhile, as BHill did. Great experience for them. Hamling spent years developing on some other club's list. Fantastic for us, and then jagged an opportunity to play in a Premiership because of injury. Awesome return for the club, plus he didn't have to put up with the rubbish that would've been poured on him by bf posters because he was too skinny and couldn't get a game ahead of MacPharlin and Johnson.

Last edited:
Is Regan Clarke a proper chance to be drafted? I didn't pay much attention to him in the championships. Same with Chad Warner

I do really like Tyrone Thorne. He seems like a rookie pick if anything but could be anything under the right circumstances
I saw the final game live & both impressed me.
Clarke knocked up getting the ball & used it well.
Warner isn't flashy, but is very accountable as a mid & has good skills.

I'm all for picking local players later on in the draft, but first round should be about best available.

Considering where our first pick is looking to be, I wouldn't be able to justify taking a WA kid that early. If we can manage to get another first round pick in (say in the 10-15 range) before a bid for Liam Henry comes, then I'd be happy to go local and look at Deven Robertson or Elijah Taylor. But unless we move on Darcy, I just can't see Luke Jackson being a good pick up for a rebuilding side. We've invested too heavily in Lobb and Hogan, plus the years of development we've put into Darcy and Taberner. Comparative to other positions, a ruck wouldn't hugely improve our side.

We should definitely be looking at the likes of Trent Rivers, Jarvis Pina, Jake Pasini, Trey Ruscoe and Ryan Bennell outside of the first round though.

I would think Jackson is not that far behind Naughton and Blakey...in being a capably fast project for CHB and CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL list expert Chris Pelchen has urged Fremantle to make the tough call on a potential Bradley Hill exit, saying it could hold the key to securing a trio of WA teenagers in the national draft.

Pelchen, a veteran AFL list manager and recruiter who helped build premiership lists at Port Adelaide and Hawthorn, said it was “absolutely critical” for Dockers’ rebuild that they attacked the draft aggressively.

Triple premiership speedster Hill, 26, is reportedly contemplating a move back to Victoria.

He is contracted until the end of 2021 and is in career-best form, meaning his trade currency is high.
Pelchen couldn’t speak highly enough of Larke medallist Deven Robertson, the nephew of former West Coast captain Darren Glass who led WA to their first under-18s title in a decade, saying he was “exactly” what Fremantle needed.
“It’s not the easy decisions that are going to decide whether Freo are successful over the next 3-4 years,” Pelchen said.
“They need to make decisions on players who are in an age demographic where you say ‘they’re definitely in our best 12-15 players but we need to make harder decisions for the benefit of the team long-term’ and Brad Hill is one of those.
“I would allow him to leave if it shored up the possibility of getting a player like Deven Robertson into the team.
“They’ve got to aim at securing Deven, he’s exactly what that club needs, a powerful midfielder.”
Deven Robertson.
Deven Robertson.Picture: Nic Ellis
Pelchen also liked the look fellow Perth Demons product Elijah Taylor and Fremantle Next Generation Academy member Liam Henry, with all three making the Under-18s All-Australian team.
“He’s got real talent that kid,” Pelchen said about Taylor.
“He’d be certainly one I’d be going after.
“There’s enough there in the WA under-18s crop for Fremantle to really focus on the group and take three or four.
“Looking ahead I think it’s absolutely critical that Fremantle attack this year’s draft really aggressively.
“They’ve got a really good batch of players in WA, in my opinion with David Mundy coming towards the end of his career, as good as he is, we all have to acknowledge that there’s not long left for David.
“Nat Fyfe is still is in his prime, nobody is doubting that at the age of 27, and they’ve added to that midfield group with Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw in the last couple of years.
“They’ve got all parts of the ground they still need to add to, they need help in the back half, they need another key forward.
“The midfield is still the priority, especially if the Hills, either one or both of them, depart this year.
“If they’re going to bring in mature-age players, they’ve got to be players of high character to have a really strong influence on the younger group, but they’ve got to still prioritise youth.”

AFL list expert Chris Pelchen has urged Fremantle to make the tough call on a potential Bradley Hill exit, saying it could hold the key to securing a trio of WA teenagers in the national draft.

Pelchen, a veteran AFL list manager and recruiter who helped build premiership lists at Port Adelaide and Hawthorn, said it was “absolutely critical” for Dockers’ rebuild that they attacked the draft aggressively.

Triple premiership speedster Hill, 26, is reportedly contemplating a move back to Victoria.

He is contracted until the end of 2021 and is in career-best form, meaning his trade currency is high.
Pelchen couldn’t speak highly enough of Larke medallist Deven Robertson, the nephew of former West Coast captain Darren Glass who led WA to their first under-18s title in a decade, saying he was “exactly” what Fremantle needed.
“It’s not the easy decisions that are going to decide whether Freo are successful over the next 3-4 years,” Pelchen said.
“They need to make decisions on players who are in an age demographic where you say ‘they’re definitely in our best 12-15 players but we need to make harder decisions for the benefit of the team long-term’ and Brad Hill is one of those.
“I would allow him to leave if it shored up the possibility of getting a player like Deven Robertson into the team.
“They’ve got to aim at securing Deven, he’s exactly what that club needs, a powerful midfielder.”
Deven Robertson.
Deven Robertson.Picture: Nic Ellis
Pelchen also liked the look fellow Perth Demons product Elijah Taylor and Fremantle Next Generation Academy member Liam Henry, with all three making the Under-18s All-Australian team.
“He’s got real talent that kid,” Pelchen said about Taylor.
“He’d be certainly one I’d be going after.
“There’s enough there in the WA under-18s crop for Fremantle to really focus on the group and take three or four.
“Looking ahead I think it’s absolutely critical that Fremantle attack this year’s draft really aggressively.
“They’ve got a really good batch of players in WA, in my opinion with David Mundy coming towards the end of his career, as good as he is, we all have to acknowledge that there’s not long left for David.
“Nat Fyfe is still is in his prime, nobody is doubting that at the age of 27, and they’ve added to that midfield group with Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw in the last couple of years.
“They’ve got all parts of the ground they still need to add to, they need help in the back half, they need another key forward.
“The midfield is still the priority, especially if the Hills, either one or both of them, depart this year.
“If they’re going to bring in mature-age players, they’ve got to be players of high character to have a really strong influence on the younger group, but they’ve got to still prioritise youth.”
Not doubting that the guy has some idea what he is doing (not that suggesting picking highly rated juniors would be a surprise to many) but the last thing we need is another key forward or more defenders. Maybe KPD depth and if there is a gun flanker sure, but far from a priority.

What we need is midfielders and forwards. Good ones.

probably unpopular opinion but I would be okay with losing Hill if it meant we could get those three. Even though we would probably bring them in and play them all off half back.

I guess we could have a go if we get compensated well if Billy and or Ed leaves.
Even then no.

With bid picks, any picks after get eaten up. Most of the time, teams downgrade the next picks for surplus points. Unless, we do an eagle/swan hiding pick trade we don't be able to get Taylor. By the way, I think the AFL is looking to ban that type of trade.

Currently, we have picks 6,24. Taylor would be a massive reach at 6 and Robertson would be a reach as well.

If we trade Landon to the Demons for pick 19/20, that pick would be eaten up by Henry's bid.

If we lose S Hill to free agency that will net us pick 19 or 25, but we have the same issue with Henry's bid.

If we lose B Hill, that pick might be top 10. Again, that would be a massive reach for Taylor.

Therefore, Robertson and Henry are doing but Taylor is extremely unlikely.

Funny - those are literally midfield possession numbers by Luke Jackson. Decent tackle numbers as well to go with the massive hit-out numbers.

It will be interesting to see how Sharp does against the Peel senior team.

Funny - those are literally midfield possession numbers by Luke Jackson. Decent tackle numbers as well to go with the massive hit-out numbers.

It will be interesting to see how Sharp does against the Peel senior team.
Given how much he throws his body at the contest I wouldn't be surprised to hear half of those 20 hand balls were clearances.

Which bunch of Idiots is paying the broken down car that is Stephen Hill enough to get us picks that high?
If someone (especially Gold Coast) are prying him off us they are doing it with cash. He'll get something like what Wells got and we'll get an end of first or 2nd rounder for him easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back