Play Nice The Final Quarter/Australian Dream

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Tough to watch... dont know how i feel tbh
If you feel excited, then * off! As a Swans supporter, as a ******* decent human being, as an Adam Goodes supporter, as an indigenous person, as a footballing fanatic and as an activist for anti racism...you feel ******* sad! That’s how you feel.

In all honesty, I don’t want want it. I’d love it but I wouldn’t want to put him through this.

Yeah that lap would be more for everyone else

He did his lap in front of the swans fans, if he said let me do a grand final lap than by all means

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
retire 37 and mark it on the grand stand, pretty sure on the broadcast wing we have premiership years labelled on the stand, put a 37 guernsey up there
Yeah I don’t disagree, it’s not retired but it’s ‘parked’ isn’t it? Can’t see it happening with 14 on the ground though.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
If you feel excited, then fu** off! As a Swans supporter, as a ******* decent human being, as an Adam Goodes supporter, as an indigenous person, as a footballing fanatic and as an activist for anti racism...you feel ******* sad! That’s how you feel.
Little over the top wasnt it.

Such a thought provoking film and you carry on like that?

Im not sure what to feel. I feel sorry for adam but i dont think he wants people to feel sorry for him.

I feel embarrassment to be a part of a culture/society that tolerated his treatment

I feel guilty because at the time , even though i didnt agree with what was happening , i didnt fully understand the effect it was having, the pain it was causing.

I feel pride, that this man represented the club i love and pride he had the courage and strength to stand up for himself when no one else would.

So yea i dont know how i feel.

No need for your tirade

Im not sure what to feel. I feel sorry for adam but i dont think he wants people to feel sorry for him.

I feel embarrassment to be a part of a culture/society that tolerated his treatment

I feel guilty because at the time , even though i didnt agree with what was happening , i didnt fully understand the effect it was having, the pain it was causing.

I feel pride, that this man represented the club i love and pride he had the courage and strength to stand up for himself when no one else would.

No need for your tirade

yep an emotional doco in so many ways mate

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney

No need for your tirade
I’m so glad I addressed you as opposed to your thoughts...because clearly you were searching for a response! That’s ok, make it about me!

By the way, you feel three times. You know how you ******* feel!

Last edited:

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Only 3 pages talking about a legend of our club and game. Probably the most disappointing part of the forum so far if I say so. Understand it’s a school night but if you watched it, you should be expressing yourselves. That’s my bit based on autopsies!

V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pistons, Browns, BCFC, Lions
retire 37 and mark it on the grand stand, pretty sure on the broadcast wing we have premiership years labelled on the stand, put a 37 guernsey up there

That old pig Alan Jones is a member of the SCG trust and might have something to say about it unfortunately.

V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pistons, Browns, BCFC, Lions
Was very confronting and powerful seeing those 3 years condensed into 1 doco. At the time it deeply upset and angered me whenever I watched or thought about what Adam was going through, can only imagine how he felt. He's such a strong, brave man. What I had even forgotten was how supportive he was of the girl who called him an ape, and how that part of the press conference was completely ignored by the section of the media (and most of bigfooty at the time) that wanted to paint him as a divisive "sook".

Also Robbo came off pretty well I thought.

Great documentary

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Was very confronting and powerful seeing those 3 years condensed into 1 doco. At the time it deeply upset and angered me whenever I watched or thought about what Adam was going through, can only imagine how he felt. He's such a strong, brave man. What I had even forgotten was how supportive he was of the girl who called him an ape, and how that part of the press conference was completely ignored by the section of the media (and most of bigfooty at the time) that wanted to paint him as a divisive "sook".

Also Robbo came off pretty well I thought.

Great documentary
I love you!

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Just finished it. I hated that period of time because of the behaviour of some opposition supporters who would come here to racially abuse Goodes (so no one can say that racism wasn't a factor) and having to deal with it on a near daily basis. I lost a lot of love for the game, so can only imagine what Adam went though.

It shines a light on the excuses made for the behaviour of the mob. His press conference after the Collingwood game where he didn't blame the 13 year old, his Australian of the Year speech and his actual comments on Australia Day 2014 where he welcomed the day have been ignored and replaced by a different reality by the worst people in the media. At least its now on record what happened, so no more hiding.

As for the booing the Hawks fans can EAD and so can their club leaders from that time, while North fans are scum.

Proud to be a Swans fan because of the support we gave Adam and the support our club also gave him. Was a good documentary and an important one for this country regardless how uncomfortable it makes some racists feel.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Just finished it.

Shines a light on the excuses made for the behaviour of the mob. His press conference after the Collingwood game where he didn't blame the 13 year old, his Australian of the Year speech and his actual comments on Australia Day 2014 where he welcomed the day have been ignored and replaced by a different reality by the worst people in the media. At least its now on record what happened.

As for the booing the Hawks fans can EAD and so can their club leaders from that time, while North fans are scum.

Proud to be a Swans fan because of the support we gave Adam and the support our club also gave him.
I would’ve put North fans as scum anyway...actually, you may have done that . Carry on!

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
That North game....and people ask why we hate the flogs. If I was a man I would have been thrown out for brawling, I was so furious at them.

Dermie the fracking moron. Hastily backpedaling as we speak, but here it is you w***er, in all your ignorance and stupidity.

Sigh. Seems I’ve gotten past my upset and am now reliving the anger.

fu** them all.
No I completely understand. I wish I called out them morons as well. It was a dirty night and the worst thing wasn’t that our season was over, it was the way that Adam’s career ended.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I really hope the day comes when adam feels he can return to the game and the racist "knuckle heads" have learnt a valuable lesson or just stay away. Goodsey is a legend of the game, a highly intelligent individual who could still offer so much more. Imagine a day where adam returns to mcg packed with 60-80k fans and recieves a standing ovation. What a day that would be for the game and the great man

I was not in a position to watch last night. There are several Swans fans on staff and I overheard one organising a swift swap so she could watch the doco.

I am curious to see what people here made of it. Guess I will know in the morning. Meanwhile our thread is man and woman beside Goodesy

Docos without formal narrators show people in their own words and actions. Sounds like Adam comes out as any here would expect - brave, thoughtful, honourable.

Others such as Newman, Bolt, McGuire and Brereton are damned by their own words.

Adam is a great man, a well articulated compassionate human. He was howled down and bullied out of the game, such a disgrace. He has always carried himself with dignity and respect.
I believe he has made a positive change to attitudes for standing up for what is right. Hasn't reached everyone but has reached some and he should be proud that he turned a negative into a positive. Seriously what a great man he is.

My favourite game of all time was that Adelaide game at the SCG. Jettas dance. The atmosphere. It was of celebration, respect & genuine love... and an understanding things had gone too far & "we" needed to get around Adam.

That moment in the documentary was a fleeting moment of pride & happiness though. For the most part I watched it in disgust. Shame. Sadness. Disbelief. Anger...

That feeling in the pit of my stomach where I know I could have stood up & done more at the time is the worst part.

It really does stop with each of us. Educate yourself. Try to be vulnerable. Let yourself evolve & become better. Be honest with yourself. Truely honest. Don't hide from the attitudes & actions you have grown up into... if you don't like them then accept, learn & change them. Saying you stand with Adam means nothing if you don't actually action those words. Go read up on our shared history. Talk to people who live with discrimination every day. Get involved if you feel like it... just do something to grow & help make this whole thing mean something to you & your world moving forward.

I feel proud of Adam & those that stood up.

The conversation has started & hopefully, by learning & being honest with ourselves, we can start to change those negative attitudes & behaviours we uncover as part of this conversation. No matter how uncomfortable.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Only 3 pages talking about a legend of our club and game. Probably the most disappointing part of the forum so far if I say so. Understand it’s a school night but if you watched it, you should be expressing yourselves. That’s my bit based on autopsies!
I'm still very angry years on Mick, finding it difficult to write anything of substance.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
In all honesty, I don’t want want it. I’d love it but I wouldn’t want to put him through this.
100% this!

Only he can make that decision, and goodness knows he’s had more then enough people over the last 3 years of his career making arbitrary decisions on what was best for Adam Goodes and the game.

I am forever in admiration of the man, and what he represents. Whatever he decides I will support.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm still very angry years on Mick, finding it difficult to write anything of substance.
Fair enough Kap. The point I was making here is that posters generally come out all guns blazing after a game in the autopsy threads, yet on this more important issue they’ve decided to abstain. Each to their own but I find it disappointing as this is an issue where numbers (of support) do count!

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
^^^^
Yep, right there with you.
Cant imagine how our board deals with the SCGTrust knowing Alan Jones is on it in all his racist glory. Together with other media types and AFL figures.

Back