Racing Melbourne Cup Day 2019 (after the results posting of bets will get a ban)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
Falcon Eight won the listed Esher Stakes over 2 miles overnight. Will be interesting to see where his rating lands after that. Field was small and not particularly strong with Mekong the best of them. Margin was small. Interestingly Dettori rode Falcon Eight.

Still $51 with TAB.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
Falcon Eight won the listed Esher Stakes over 2 miles overnight. Will be interesting to see where his rating lands after that. Field was small and not particularly strong with Mekong the best of them. Margin was small. Interestingly Dettori rode Falcon Eight.

Still $51 with TAB.

Right type, won't be going near it until we see its next run (Ebor it seems).

Right type, won't be going near it until we see its next run (Ebor it seems).

On what basis?

Weld hasn't had a relevant horse in years and this one has been pottering around in second tier, small field, Irish staying affairs. I fail to see how it is anything like the model of a modern day Cup winner.

Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
So far this year, compared to last year, there are few new Euro prospects mooted to travel.

Past runners Marmelo, Prince of Arran and Magic Circle are seemingly all likely to return.

Amade, Gold Mount and Torcedor are likely, and connections have confirmed the Cup as the target and all likely to make the field.

Others who’ve expressed interest are Wells Farhh Go, Master of Reality, Cross Counter, Twilight Payment, Falcon Eight, Defoe, Nagano Gold, Django Freeman and Downdraft.

Not much out of Godolphin yet. Ghostwatch was to try to qualify via the exempt race Steel Prince win but he had a setback and hasn’t been seen since.

Team Williams has Latrobe and Buckhurst going around and showing some form. You’d expect both would be considered but it may be too soon for Buckhurst.

No info from Aidan O’Brien. No doubt he’ll have an army of NH 3yos to choose from. Flag of Honour looks to me the type they may consider. His rating’s 116 so maybe a little too high but they brought Cliffs of Moher whose rating was 114 last year.

Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
wombats
So far this year, compared to last year, there are few new Euro prospects mooted to travel.

Past runners Marmelo, Prince of Arran and Magic Circle are seemingly all likely to return.

Amade, Gold Mount and Torcedor are likely, and connections have confirmed the Cup as the target and all likely to make the field.

Others who’ve expressed interest are Wells Farhh Go, Master of Reality, Cross Counter, Twilight Payment, Falcon Eight, Defoe, Nagano Gold, Django Freeman and Downdraft.

Not much out of Godolphin yet. Ghostwatch was to try to qualify via the exempt race Steel Prince win but he had a setback and hasn’t been seen since.

Team Williams has Latrobe and Buckhurst going around and showing some form. You’d expect both would be considered but it may be too soon for Buckhurst.

No info from Aidan O’Brien. No doubt he’ll have an army of NH 3yos to choose from. Flag of Honour looks to me the type they may consider. His rating’s 116 so maybe a little too high but they brought Cliffs of Moher whose rating was 114 last year.
Don't forget
WSTB

Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
What’s that race been like as a form guide in the past ?

2600m kicked away ok
Not sure whether it will have turn of foot to win a MC though
Still, an impressive win and goes onto the list

It hasn’t been a great guide at all, although Hartnell’s a past winner:

But apparently it’s the best rated win since 2006, when Youmzain won it. Youmzain was three times runner up in the Arc.

Spanish Mission ran a track record but I think the times were fast that day. I haven’t seen his sectionals for this race but he was tipped by one of the Timeform guys based on his sectionals in the Cocked Hat Stakes where he came home in 46:62.

He may go to the St Leger next which would provide a better guide. But with the hike in his rating from this run, he may not need to go there.

What’s that race been like as a form guide in the past ?

2600m kicked away ok
Not sure whether it will have turn of foot to win a MC though
Still, an impressive win and goes onto the list

L e L err wut? - showed a better turn of foot than any of the overseas donkey's people have been putting up so far. Dominant win flogging a horse that was placed in the Queens Vase. Lightly raced unexposed 3yos have been the last two winners.

Looks the top seed so far and the only horse I've seen posted in this thread I'd actually consider an antepost bet on.

Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
L e L err wut? - showed a better turn of foot than any of the overseas donkey's people have been putting up so far. Dominant win flogging a horse that was placed in the Queens Vase. Lightly raced unexposed 3yos have been the last two winners.

Looks the top seed so far and the only horse I've seen posted in this thread I'd actually consider an antepost bet on.
Admittedly my knowledge of UK racing isn’t what it used to be
Can’t say that trainers name rings a bell of bringing out horses in the past

Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
The owners include Team Valour who were involved in Brigantin and Earle Mack who bought Dylan Mouth in a failed attempt to get to the Cup. So it seems pretty plausible that he’d be coming.

Admittedly my knowledge of UK racing isn’t what it used to be
Can’t say that trainers name rings a bell of bringing out horses in the past

Trainer is well respected UK trainer - not just some complete random - trained Lightning Spear and Sheikzayedroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back