hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Needs to be put on the rookie list if you ask me. cant be wasting a senior spot for somebody who won't play. rookie list or even a pay as you play contract

BigRedRoo

Club Legend
May 17, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Jacobs is an out and out superstar. By far the most underrated player in the AFL period.
The man has so many A grade midfielder scalps it would make a Pawnee warrior blush.
He needs to be given every opportunity to get better. At 27 he still in his prime and could play another 5 years.
There is no doubt we are a far better team with him playing. He’s a walk up start to the first 18 and I Can’t wait for him to return next year.

BigRed

Last edited:
If he doesnt play VFL in the next fortnight his year is over
They increased his running or block of to try and get him anywhere near a game in the VFL but my inkling is the loss on the weekend to * spelt curtains for our finals chances and thus we put Ben on ice too (NPI).

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Jacobs is an out and out superstar. By far the most underrated player in the AFL period.
The man has so many A grade midfielder scalps it would make a Pawnee warrior blush.
He needs to be given every opportunity to get better. At 27 he still in his prime and could play another 5 years.
There is no doubt we are a far better team with him playing. He’s a walk up start to the first 18 and I Can’t wait for him to return next year.

BigRed

He's one of the best taggers going around but a superstar? Seriously?

He was a super important part of our midfield particularly in the recent BS era - that's the Before Shaw era

Sure. Still not a star let alone superstar.
Agree that superstar is generous.
Amongst our three most important midfielders with Cunnington and Higgins. If he was back at full fitness I still reckon he'd be amongst our three most important midfielders. And I say that whilst also loving what Jed brings to our midfield and Jy is showing in patches.
Anway, all in all, if he's a chance to get back in the team next year, i'm all for giving him that chance.

BigRedRoo

Club Legend
May 17, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I did say he's the AFL's most underrated player.
What would you call a guy who, week after week goes out destroys the oppositions best onballer and get 20 touches himself?
Admittedly being the best shut down guy in the league is not as glamours some other positions in the game.
However, when he plays we are at least 4 goals a game better team. Just look at the last time he Richmond, Dusty Martin was so frustrated having been completely shut down by Ben they had to move him to the forward just to get a touch.

BigRed

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Look. Whatever may come from his time out of the game, and if he ever continues at AFL or not. There is one thing I'm certain about. At the very least. He had better have the best *ingg rig in the comp come pre-season.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I did say he's the AFL's most underrated player.
What would you call a guy who, week after week goes out destroys the oppositions best onballer and get 20 touches himself?
Admittedly being the best shut down guy in the league is not as glamours some other positions in the game.
However, when he plays we are at least 4 goals a game better team. Just look at the last time he Richmond, Dusty Martin was so frustrated having been completely shut down by Ben they had to move him to the forward just to get a touch.

BigRed

I'd call him a good player.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'd call him a good player.

I'd call him an absent player.

2013: 7 games
2014: 14 games
2015: 23 games
2016: 7 games
2017: 0 games
2018: 13 games
2019: 0 games

= 64 out of 162 games

If he doesn't get on the ground for a solid run of uninterrupted games in 2020, and finish the season in fit condition, then's it's over for him.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

= 64 out of 162 games

If he doesn't get on the ground for a solid run of uninterrupted games in 2020, and finish the season in fit condition, then's it's over for him.

If he's injured next season I think he'll pull the pin.

= 64 out of 162 games

Sad but true.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool

BigRed
Good post, but could you put some mayo on it?

We culled Tom Curran possibly for less.

Unfortunately for Tom, he never really got out of the blocks. Jacobs has and was widely recognised as the numero uno tagger in the game, which is why he's afforded the additional time to see if he can overcome his mystery ailments. I certainly hope he can!

Back