Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
dunno if it has been covered or not but we need to remember crocker was a pick 65 lol, expectations should be lowered. He will never be a super star, just need him to do a role when he gets his chance.

Last week was tough for him, intensity was finals like for his first game of the year, he struggled quite clearly, but now he gets another crack at it and I reckon will be fired up because he would obviously know he didn't have a great game.

My expectation is that he isn’t a liability when called on to play a role. How exactly do I lower expectations from there? Four years in he’s still a long way from being a reliable depth player and he doesn’t have the “excuse” of injury to fall back on. He plain and simple isn’t up to AFL standard, but you know there’s nothing wrong with that! He’s played 25 more AFL matches games than 99% of this site which is a pretty good effort.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
My expectation is that he isn’t a liability when called on to play a role. How exactly do I lower expectations from there? Four years in he’s still a long way from being a reliable depth player and he doesn’t have the “excuse” of injury to fall back on. He plain and simple isn’t up to AFL standard, but you know there’s nothing wrong with that! Even with our injuries it shocks me that he’s still in.
He's not up to AFL standard in the position they are playing him in, he's simply not Stevo or Billy! he did about as well as Thomas has been but that's not the point, the guy has proven he's an accumulator further upfield in the magoos so it's ludicrous to keep asking him to step up and then put him in the frickin graveyard

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty much exactly word for word how Maxwell was described early.
Maxwell worked his arse off to overcome...
Hopefully Crocker can too.
For now he is depth, which we need.
Fair enough too.
Crocker was captain of his Oakleigh junior team.
I’ve been told he’s very popular in the squad and a funny fun guy. That’s a good quality I’d think for a squad.

At the end if he gets as v
Able as Maxwell then wow. Though in truth Maxwell was a good medium talent. No star. Hard worker. Did his rolls. Led by example and very good captain. Ability wise, medoum where many are located.

Wish Crocker a great game this week. I always support the 22.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's not up to AFL standard in the position they are playing him in, he's simply not Stevo or Billy! he did about as well as Thomas has been but that's not the point, the guy has proven he's an accumulator further upfield in the magoos so it's ludicrous to keep asking him to step up and then put him in the frickin graveyard
I guess it’s that for him, or no senior game as the alternative, as his better position is spoken for.

That’s his challenge. That simple for me.

I wish him well

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

That’s the key. With Phillips and Mayne playing off the wing he’s too slow for a role up the field at senior level. If he had a good workrate I’d support dropping one of them for him, but he doesn’t. Like water he’s found his level. How awesome would it be if he proved me and others wrong!

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
My expectation is that he isn’t a liability when called on to play a role. How exactly do I lower expectations from there? Four years in he’s still a long way from being a reliable depth player and he doesn’t have the “excuse” of injury to fall back on. He plain and simple isn’t up to AFL standard, but you know there’s nothing wrong with that! He’s played 25 more AFL matches games than 99% of this site which is a pretty good effort.
Pretty much agree with you except for bolded. I have no idea what standard he is up to, you likely have a much better idea and quite possibly are right. What strikes me, though, is a heap of posters seemed to all come to the bolded conclusion at the exact same time after one shocker. The professionals at our club had clearly not worked that out in the last three years. Maybe the professionals are poor judges of football potential, maybe a lot of posters are enlightened souls. Or just maybe its not that clear cut. I doubt he will make a 100 games for the pies but I also don't doubt that a lot of people writing him off are the same mob that wrote Mayne off and are likely the same mob that make the match day thread so negative even when we are winning.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Move over Mayney. Crock is my new underdog favourite now!
Unleash maximum Crock power son! Redemption is yours for the taking. Crock on!. Crocka doodle doo. Crockalicious!

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crocker had a disappointing game no doubt but on a second viewing it wasn't quite as poor as I first thought.

In the first quarter as one example he scrapped a kick forward that landed in the lap of Cox who dropped a pud.

It potentially could have been a GA for Crocker. Later in the quarter he helped Cox take a mark (and subsequent goal) by blocking Jetta from the contest.

In the final term he fired off a handball inside our f50 that produced a hurried shot on goal that was unsuccessful. Again some potential for another GA to his name. Later of course he kicked what ended up an important point.

As for some of his poorer highlighted moments well he was sold into big trouble by Mayne in one of them, while the umpire was quick to blow the whistle in another when he appeared to get a handball away.

Yes he did look well off the pace of AFL for most of the night but he never shirked a contest and did manage to stick a few tackles when it mattered.

With Elliott now joining Stephenson on the sidelines, Thomas out of form and Varcoe back in despite being in the same boat I don't mind that Crocker has been given another chance.

It'll probably be his last though if he can't adjust to the pace of AFL again this week.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
My expectation is that he isn’t a liability when called on to play a role. How exactly do I lower expectations from there?

KPI's

- Turn up to correct ground and correct time
- Wear underwear on the inside
- Do not eat the grass

For the record, I would struggle on 2 out of 3

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Pretty much agree with you except for bolded. I have no idea what standard he is up to, you likely have a much better idea and quite possibly are right. What strikes me, though, is a heap of posters seemed to all come to the bolded conclusion at the exact same time after one shocker. The professionals at our club had clearly not worked that out in the last three years. Maybe the professionals are poor judges of football potential, maybe a lot of posters are enlightened souls. Or just maybe its not that clear cut. I doubt he will make a 100 games for the pies but I also don't doubt that a lot of people writing him off are the same mob that wrote Mayne off and are likely the same mob that make the match day thread so negative even when we are winning.

I seriously doubt anyone that’s watched any of his footy has come to the conclusion he’s not going to make it on the basis of last week alone. I personally would have let him go post 2018 and targeted a ground level player with pace like Stack or Jarrod Cameron. At the end of the day he won’t be on the list post 2019 so the enlightened professionals will eventually catch on. Also not sure about the Mayne connection? Mayne had played 170 games before coming across so he was clearly up to the standard, but it was the contract that stank...

Last edited:

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The bloke is not AFL standard.......no Jeannie is coming out of the bottle people.......move on.

The Mayne comparison is laughable.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
That’s the key. With Phillips and Mayne playing off the wing he’s too slow for a role up the field at senior level. If he had a good workrate I’d support dropping one of them for him, but he doesn’t. Like water he’s found his level. How awesome would it be if he proved me and others wrong!
Yeah maybe, but until he's actually tried there in the seniors we're both gazing at crystal balls

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The bloke is not AFL standard.......no Jeannie is coming out of the bottle people.......move on.

I now have an image of someone rubbing a bottle and having Jeannie Pratt's head come out.

I think I need therapy.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FXJ165936.jpg

Bad Horse

Petfood
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I seriously doubt anyone that’s watched any of his footy has come to the conclusion he’s not going to make it on the basis of last week alone. I personally would have let him go post 2018 and targeted a ground level player with pace like Stack or Jarrod Cameron. At the end of the day he won’t be on the list post 2019 so the enlightened professionals will eventually catch on. Also not sure about the Mayne connection? Mayne had played 170 games before coming across so he was clearly up to the standard, but it was the contract that stank...
I have no particular argument with you/your opinions. Whilst I have no idea about the whole footy thing I do have a clear picture of posts to this forum: I read them. Pre-last Saturday the forum was not full of posts calling to delist and never play Crocker again. Post match different story. In your case it may not have been the significant factor but it quite obviously was for other posters. The Mayne connection is that last year, irrespective of his past, many posters wrote him off (including my enlightened self). Sure we weren't impressed with the contract but the key was we didn't believe he was up to it. Proved us wrong. Some of us are good judges of footy flesh. Most of us are not and let emotion make the choice.

belliott

Senior List
Oct 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cant remember the last time he had a good game and he only seems to be brought in when we are stretched for injuries which says a lot.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough too.
Crocker was captain of his Oakleigh junior team.
I’ve been told he’s very popular in the squad and a funny fun guy. That’s a good quality I’d think for a squad.

At the end if he gets as v
Able as Maxwell then wow. Though in truth Maxwell was a good medium talent. No star. Hard worker. Did his rolls. Led by example and very good captain. Ability wise, medoum where many are located.

Wish Crocker a great game this week. I always support the 22.

Watch the last 5 minutes of the drawn grand final and tell me Maxwell was a good, medium talent and no star.

He took on his limitations and became much, much better than he should have been and become the barometer of the team.

Chalk and cheese.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Watch the last 5 minutes of the drawn grand final and tell me Maxwell was a good, medium talent and no star.

He took on his limitations and became much, much better than he should have been and become the barometer of the team.

Chalk and cheese.
Yep, Gayfer Manson Turner even Tony Shaw, all the worst (premiership) players you'd ever find if you listened to their critics

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crockers best hope is to become a macaffer type for us. Having much better options makes it hard for him but he's been handy depth and there's been and still is worse out there.

One good thing to take from last week is he learnt from his mistake earlier in the game and contested well and locked it in our forward half. Got used to the pace and was a bit more settled, can only hope follows into this game. Wasn't too bad against them last year.

Fun fact: Crocker has never lost away from the MCG with 8 wins away from home. 1@subi,1@optus ,2@gabba, 1@carrara & 1@Docklands. Let's hope he can add one more to that list.

Back