2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Really don't see how that works. Established players with their heads screwed on aren't going to join the Gold Coast just for the prospect of lifting them from 18th to 11th over the course of five years.

If "established players with at least 4 years left" are good players, Gold Coast are going to be paying up in terms of draft picks, talent and/or salary to get them through the door. No one is going to be keen to join a s**t club just because the AFL wants them to be a success. If they're only after solid C grade citizens, then they won't cost that much but they can already do that without having a fire sale on their only decent kids. They picked up the likes of Young, Barlow, Miles, Murdoch, Lyons, Witts, Horlin-Smith, Hombsch, etc and they've been meh to OK to goodish, but a whole heap of those types of players is just going to root you to the bottom of the table for the next 5 years. They need some of their kids to turn into stars and stay at the club.
They appear determined to go the Vince/Cross route of paying decent money to guys who have a bit left to give, which is a good call IMO. Quite a few like that in the comp who could both help get them competitive throughout the season and ensure the culture is right.

T.Walker, Gibbs, Murphy, Goldsack, Varcoe, Mundy, Burgoyne, Roughead, Frawley, J.Lewis, Thompson, Westhoff, N.Smith and Masten all seem like types who could play a year, some could play two, and then take development roles. If they could land three or four of these, they'd probably help a lot. If I was them, I'd be offering JPK two years at 900k a pop. He's probably coming to the end at Sydney, he's not the player he was, but man what a footballer and leader he's been.

They appear determined to go the Vince/Cross route of paying decent money to guys who have a bit left to give, which is a good call IMO. Quite a few like that in the comp who could both help get them competitive throughout the season and ensure the culture is right.

T.Walker, Gibbs, Murphy, Goldsack, Varcoe, Mundy, Burgoyne, Roughead, Frawley, J.Lewis, Thompson, Westhoff, N.Smith and Masten all seem like types who could play a year, some could play two, and then take development roles. If they could land three or four of these, they'd probably help a lot. If I was them, I'd be offering JPK two years at 900k a pop. He's probably coming to the end at Sydney, he's not the player he was, but man what a footballer and leader he's been.
I'd take most of those players at the Dees for a year or two in our current state.

Westhoff is a downhill skier but agree with the sentiment. David Mundy, Roughead, Thompson and Burgoyne should all get offered deals up there that would be a good start and I think the AFL should eat some of their wage aswell.

GC muffed it right from the beginning. They landed Ablett, but then they chased 2-4 year shelf life players in Nathan Bock, Jared Brennan, Josh Fraser and Campbell Brown. GWS went out and picked out 10 year players in Ward, Scully, Davis and added James McDonald, Luke Power, Chad Cornes, etc who cost them nothing. Adding some decent 32+ year olds to the team isn't going to change their results that much - asking fading players to carry a s**t side isn't going to work very often. If people are talking setting training standards and the like, then recruit recently retired players as fitness / development coaches. There's no reason that the people dictating the standards have to be on the playing list.

We had our share of priority picks in the past. Why would Anderson be a perfect fit anyway, isn't he more of an inside mid?

Anderson can play both.

He’s a tall, breakaway, goalkicking mid who can run and carry and is also very evasive. He has quite a low centre of gravity and can manoeuvre really well - while also being strong overhead.

He’s my favourite in this draft and the one I’d pick for the Dees if I had a choice.

Some have compared his style to the Bont which I can see why. He’s a game winner and something a little bit different to our current stock of blue collar inside mids with medium running capacities.

They did that to begin with taking players who werent that good or at the end. Look how that ended. They need to find 3 or 4 23ish year old guns like GWS did and build a list from there. No point having players come for a year or 2 if its just gonna leave the same holes it did last time. AFL should give then pick 1 and 19 and they must trade them for a player in the 22-25yr bracket whos in the top say 60 players in the comp. If they cant do that then AFL takes those picks back off of them to use the year after and if they are still that s**t let em have 1,2,19,20 the year after. Or just shut up shop cause no point doing it. * what other teams think or cry over cant have gcs down bottom for 20 years

GC muffed it right from the beginning. They landed Ablett, but then they chased 2-4 year shelf life players in Nathan Bock, Jared Brennan, Josh Fraser and Campbell Brown. GWS went out and picked out 10 year players in Ward, Scully, Davis and added James McDonald, Luke Power, Chad Cornes, etc who cost them nothing. Adding some decent 32+ year olds to the team isn't going to change their results that much - asking fading players to carry a s**t side isn't going to work very often. If people are talking setting training standards and the like, then recruit recently retired players as fitness / development coaches. There's no reason that the people dictating the standards have to be on the playing list.

GWS also came in after GCS, they deliberately played kids in their first two years guaranteeing the first pick plus they have the two mini drafts

They farmed first round drafts picks like no other club has ever done before

GWS also came in after GCS, they deliberately played kids in their first two years guaranteeing the first pick plus they have the two mini drafts

They farmed first round drafts picks like no other club has ever done before

And? Point is GWS looked long-term from the get go and the Suns had a slice each way and it ended up amounting to nothing. Yes, no one has pissed away top picks and talent like GWS has, but they've successfully maintained their list to a decent standard, whereas the wheels fell off the Suns' wagon when they briefly threatened to step out of mediocrity back in 2013/14 and they've stunk it up ever since.

After Round 16 GC were in the top 8, when Ablett got injured at the peak of his powers. They ended up losing six of their last seven games after the wheels came right off, including four losses to teams beneath them on the ladder and three losses to bottom teams (Carlton, Brisbane, GC). Could easily have finished with a home final that year but they were always too Ablett dependent and got what was coming for them. That was their fourth season. Incidentally GWS had a similar trajectory in their fourth year in the league the next year (2015), but obviously managed to kick onto two top 4 finishes and two prelims in the following years

Can we give pick 2 away for 2 lower first rounders? Ship one off to Freo for Brad Hill(might be able to persuade his brother for nothing), use the other 1st rounder on the best small forward in the draft. Get Langdon with 2ntd rounder and our outside run issues are taken care of, and we've added hopefully a very good young quick dangerous crumber. The wheel could turn quickly..

Can we give pick 2 away for 2 lower first rounders? Ship one off to Freo for Brad Hill(might be able to persuade his brother for nothing), use the other 1st rounder on the best small forward in the draft. Get Langdon with 2ntd rounder and our outside run issues are taken care of, and we've added hopefully a very good young quick dangerous crumber. The wheel could turn quickly..

I'm sure we could, but I'd honestly hold on to our top pick. We're bad enough negotiators without other clubs having the additional leverage of knowing we have to keep a first round pick for the draft. We'd probably end up doing some horribly similar trade to Carlton with Adelaide to get back in to the first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure we could, but I'd honestly hold on to our top pick. We're bad enough negotiators without other clubs having the additional leverage of knowing we have to keep a first round pick for the draft. We'd probably end up doing some horribly similar trade to Carlton with Adelaide to get back in to the first round.
Oh yeah, I don't have any faith in our ability to get anything right. It will be an interesting off season. We need some good youth coming through, and we are desperate for outside runners with skill. We have some leverage with a very high pick and some decent young(ish) talent. I'm sure we will stuff it up whichever way we go. If Langdon is our only acquisition in the offseason, we are pretty much screwed.

We’d be nuts to trade away pick two for two lower picks. We’ve been there, done that, built the team. Now we just need to fill holes.

Adding someone like Anderson would make a massive difference to our capabilities. With the new rules, we could play him on the ball and have an immediate impact, just as Carlton have done with Walsh.

Add to that an early second round pick for a crumbing forward and get Stephen Hill to free up Salem and we’d be a much improved team next year.

Unfortunately, I have no reason to be confident that the club will take such a simple route. Just the notion that we are thinking about going back to the negotiating table with Freo to get a winger who can’t kick fills me with despair.

We’d be nuts to trade away pick two for two lower picks. We’ve been there, done that, built the team. Now we just need to fill holes.

Adding someone like Anderson would make a massive difference to our capabilities. With the new rules, we could play him on the ball and have an immediate impact, just as Carlton have done with Walsh.

Add to that an early second round pick for a crumbing forward and get Stephen Hill to free up Salem and we’d be a much improved team next year.

Unfortunately, I have no reason to be confident that the club will take such a simple route. Just the notion that we are thinking about going back to the negotiating table with Freo to get a winger who can’t kick fills me with despair.
On a positive note it’s going to be ******* hard to get reamed any harder than the club did last year at the trade table and we have already plummeted from top 4 to bottom 3 so that can’t happen next season, having said that I’m always convinced there is a whole other layer of incompetence just waiting to be discovered at the MFC

On a positive note it’s going to be ******* hard to get reamed any harder than the club did last year at the trade table and we have already plummeted from top 4 to bottom 3 so that can’t happen next season, having said that I’m always convinced there is a whole other layer of incompetence just waiting to be discovered at the MFC

It's getting hilarious watching you embarass yourself now.

How did we get reamed? I dont understand this argument. If we were to use pick 5 on a sooking drug addicted undersized chf or oversized half forward flanker who has a ****ed foot along with his ****ed back and doesnt actually like football i would have lost it. Fremantle had every right to go hold on he isnt worth what we were asking. May is a massive difference down back who will have a better career at the dees than hogan has at freo or dees.

We sorely missed a good tall target this year though.

Let’s hope TMac comes back in great form next year, and Weid steps up.

Otherwise our best structure looks like when we a playing Pruess in my opinion.

In fact I’d be happy to keep playing Pruess until Weideman breaks the door down at Casey.

It's getting hilarious watching you embarass yourself now.
Having read your posts as you flip flop about set up straw man arguments and get all pissy when people don’t agree with you, you’ll know exactly how I feel

How did we get reamed? I dont understand this argument. If we were to use pick 5 on a sooking drug addicted undersized chf or oversized half forward flanker who has a f’ed foot along with his f’ed back and doesnt actually like football i would have lost it. Fremantle had every right to go hold on he isnt worth what we were asking. May is a massive difference down back who will have a better career at the dees than hogan has at freo or dees.
As I’ve said before Hogans gone, I wish him the best and don’t take pleasure in his mis fortune like others here do but he doesn’t play for my team so I lose no sleep. When he was at my team he was worth 2 first rounders we didn’t get that and as I’ve argued before that effects what you can and can’t do moving forward, Freo did have every right to say he wasn’t worth that and we should have demanded he was like every other club who wanted 2 firsts for their player and got it.

We can’t afford to look at trades in isolation any more, or just add someone else’s pick values together and say we won, live trading is here it’s only a matter of time before live player trading happens, becoming fixated on a short term outcome at the expensive of the bigger picture now has larger ramifications than ever before, in my opinion we did poorly last year in terms of getting value and that hurts us now and into the future.

What do people see as appropriate payment for May? Pick 9? Pick 10? We may have paid slight overs, fine, but that's the ******* pick we had. We were five or six picks over his value at most, we could maybe have traded down and pinched a late second, but then we'd have traded our 3rd for KK so we'd have been back where we started. I don't mind the club not acting like campaigners at the trade table. We made life easier by 'overpaying' for Melksham by about 10 picks, so they made life easier by giving us Hibberd for unders. Hibbo was AA straight away, and Melk is one of our best. Should we have haggled over a couple of picks, or done the common sense thing? Let's say we engaged GC for Jack Martin this year, do you reckon they'll be obstinate for the sake of it or will our relationship make it easier? I'd gamble on the latter.

And? Point is GWS looked long-term from the get go and the Suns had a slice each way and it ended up amounting to nothing. Yes, no one has pi**ed away top picks and talent like GWS has, but they've successfully maintained their list to a decent standard, whereas the wheels fell off the Suns' wagon when they briefly threatened to step out of mediocrity back in 2013/14 and they've stunk it up ever since.

They had a much better opportunity to look long term due to the massive number of draft picks they received

They had a much better opportunity to look long term due to the massive number of draft picks they received
GWS are a bit of an outlier because of the circumstances of how they were formed but they show why having large numbers of high pick is so valuable. Hawthorn had 9 1st and 5 2nd in the 4 drafts leading into 2008 and had some shockers in Beau Dowler, Mitch Thorp and Xavier Ellis to a lesser extent but it didn’t matter because they nailed another 5.

What Melbourne did in 14/15 was the right way to go we just didn’t follow it up well enough, club has barely had 10 picks total since then none in the first round. GWS always seem to get great value for the players they trade away and a plan for the future

Gold Coast also received a massive number of draft picks. Both clubs were given similar opportunities to set themselves up for strong long-term futures, and Gold Coast royally screwed the pooch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back