Preview Changes and discussion WB v StKilda Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hopefully Dale does something to keep his spot. Can’t understand Williams getting dropped, but then someone had to make way for CD. Matt Dougie, you got your wish mate!

Williams is not best 22 and Caleb is it’s a pretty simple decision mate.

Williams isn’t a bad footballer he just isn’t exciting in anyway and he is behind Croz, Duryea, Jj, Wood, Cordy, Suckers and Caleb so I don’t understand how anyone is shocked by his removal.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dale for Richards and Daniel for Williams. Williams has been solid enough but not outstanding or influential enough to displace Daniel the incumbent returning from injury. Simple as that really.

Slightly more interesting is Dale for Richards. Richards output likely a factor but its also right for left.

Some may have noticed the left bias that shows up on the team possession heat map. We appear to favour attacking down left and going I50 from that side of the ground.

Unsurprising really when you consider many of our better and more influential players are natural lefties. Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Libba, Suckling....Richards too.

I often wondered if it made us somewhat predictable. Oh yeah, the dogs will come at us down the left for sure.

Is Dale part of a balancing up of the right and left attacking flanks and perhaps making us a little less predictable.
I've often thought the same thing about the left sided entries. What concerns me about this method is the fact that our two key forwards are both lefties as well. Kicking to the left flank and pockets makes their angles tighter when kicking for goal.

A left footer's instinct is to lead left as it opens up their preferred side of the ground when kicking. Would be difficult for Naughts and Shack to have to move to the non-preferred part of the ground more often than not.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Williams is not best 22 and Caleb is it’s a pretty simple decision mate.

Williams isn’t a bad footballer he just isn’t exciting in anyway and he is behind Croz, Duryea, Jj, Wood, Cordy, Suckers and Caleb so I don’t understand how anyone is shocked by his removal.

Even simpler decision is to leave a winning settled defence in place.

Even simpler still is to remove a clearly not up to it R Smith and put Caleb, our best ball user in to our misfiring ball butchering fwd line to replace him. You know Caleb the guy who played a bit fwd when we won the flag.

Dale for Richards I don't get. Richards has the potential to be a good footy player. Don't know what people see in Dale. Soft but good VFL player IMO. Would be delisting him not picking him.

Too simple?

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Even simpler still is to remove a clearly not up to it R Smith and put Caleb, our best ball user in to our misfiring ball butchering fwd line to replace him. You know Caleb the guy who played a bit fwd when we won the flag.

Dale for Richards I don't get. Richards has the potential to be a good footy player. Don't know what people see in Dale. Soft but good VFL player IMO. Would delist him not picking him.

Too simple?
Turns out Richards has a hammy niggle so Dale may just be injury cover.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Turns out Richards has a hammy niggle so Dale may just be injury cover.

Cheers That explains it. But frankly for my chamges I'd nearly have left Roarke in place rather than pick Dale. My tolerance for soft inconsistent players like Dale is minimal.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cheers That explains it. But frankly for my chamges I'd nearly have left Roarke in place rather than pick Dale. My tolerance for soft inconsistent players like Dale is minimal.
Roarke is still in the side!

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rawk has kept his place and fair enough I reckon. He's actually gone OK the last couple of games and pretty good last week I thought.

Quite interested in how the backline functions with Caleb back in there now. It all went pretty smoothly in his absence, the odd Trengove brain fade excepted. Still, he adds a bit of attacking creativity so no knock.

I don't share your enthusiasm for him forward as he would be largely reduced to the role of a crumbing forward. He punches above his weight/height in probably every category but I don't think he'd pose enough of a one out attacking threat to trouble a finals defense. Better kicking/ delivering I50 but that would probably mean a midfield role and defensively that ship has sailed.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Roarke is still in the side!
Not in my side.

But to declutter for you I'd have kept Williams and Rourke and brought Caleb in for Richards to play fwd.

And left Dale where he plays his best footy. In the VFL.

Last edited:

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rawk has kept his place and fair enough I reckon. He's actually gone OK the last couple of games and pretty good last week I thought.

Quite interested in how the backline functions with Caleb back in there now. It all went pretty smoothly in his absence, the odd Trengove brain fade excepted. Still, he adds a bit of attacking creativity so no knock.

I don't share your enthusiasm for him forward as he would be largely reduced to the role of a crumbing forward. He punches above his weight/height in probably every category but I don't think he'd pose enough of a one out attacking threat to trouble a finals defense. Better kicking/ delivering I50 but that would probably mean a midfield role and defensively that ship has sailed.

Play Caleb as a high HFF or wing. almost a reverse right sided offensive Hunter. Caleb has a huge tank and it's being under utilised IMO.

The defence has to make.signifcant adjustments to accommodate Caleb. His ball use is slower and shallower. And they must watch that he doesn't get isolated deep.

Interesting to see how it goes.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Play Caleb as a high HFF or wing. almost a reverse right sided offensive Hunter. Caleb has a huge tank and it's being under utilised IMO.

The defence has to make.signifcant adjustments to accommodate Caleb. His ball use is slower and shallower. And they must watch that he doesn't get isolated deep.

Interesting to see how it goes.
That would be interesting viewing. Moves, counter moves, plenty of scope for match day manoeuvring.

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Bevo is mostly pretty consistent with giving fringe guys chances to earn a contract. Guess the argument is whether or not we should be doing so when we almost need to win out if we hope to play finals, but it's not like they're just giving it to him for the sake of it either. Clearly was sent to the VFL to work on things, was pulled early from the last VFL game to be an emergency, so I guess they're satisfied with what he's done.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo is mostly pretty consistent with giving fringe guys chances to earn a contract. Guess the argument is whether or not we should be doing so when we almost need to win out if we hope to play finals, but it's not like they're just giving it to him for the sake of it either. Clearly was sent to the VFL to work on things, was pulled early from the last VFL game to be an emergency, so I guess they're satisfied with what he's done.

Bev is pretty consistent in who he favours.

Ask Tommy Campbell, Fletch and Webb. Much prefer to be named Jong, Dale or Roarke.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Ask Tommy Campbell, Fletch and Webb. Much prefer to be named Jong, Dale or Roarke.
Tommy Campbell, Fletch and Webb? 😂

Geez some big names being left out there, definitely due to the fact bev is a stubborn campaigner and they probably didnt laugh at a joke he told, nothing to do with footballing ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Dale for Richards I don't get. Richards has the potential to be a good footy player. Don't know what people see in Dale. Soft but good VFL player IMO. Would be delisting him not picking him.

Too simple?

If you bothered to read what I wrote I said I thought they should have left the team as it is BUT if The MC decided Caleb had to play Williams was the one to go.

Considering Rourke has been playing forward and Caleb has played back I have no idea how you can imagine they would make that move? Fairly simple right?

The Dale call makes zero sense I think everyone would agree with that

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tommy Campbell, Fletch and Webb? 😂

Geez some big names being left out there, definitely due to the fact bev is a stubborn campaigner and they probably didnt laugh at a joke he told, nothing to do with footballing ability.

Good to see you having a chuckle. Definitely nothing to do with footy ability unless you think Jong,, Dale and Roarke have much.

Of course Bev favours players. Everyone favours someone. Its human nature. Didn't realise it would be such a revelation for you.🤔

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you bothered to read what I wrote I said I thought they should have left the team as it is BUT if The MC decided Caleb had to play Williams was the one to go.

Considering Rourke has been playing forward and Caleb has played back I have no idea how you can imagine they would make that move? Fairly simple right?

The Dale call makes zero sense I think everyone would agree with that
Just saying what I'd do not the MC.

Jong has been injured or taking a break so it's hard to comment on him but Dale and Roarke have been available most of the year and have only played 7 games between them after 16 rounds. Doesn't sound like favouritism to me. Dale played a very ordinary game and was immediately dropped. Webb has been injured for a fair while and Fletch did actually get a couple of games himself.

What it looks like to me if you look at those names is that Bev favours those who have a bit of pace and versatility. Fletch and Campbell are probably too one-dimensional for his liking (admittedly there could have been other reasons for Campbell too).

So if he's playing favourites I suggest it's favourite types not favourite people.

I think if Webb had maintained his progress and hadn't been injured he probably would have had a few games by now. All the other established players on our list have.

I've got a feeling we will see a more determined, more involved Bailey Dale this time around. He knows full well that his opportunities are now almost exhausted and his future with us is in the balance. I'm backing him for a good game but if I'm wrong then he might be given one more game next week but another poor showing would probably be his swan song. Then, reluctantly I'll have to change my signature.:(

Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I dont mind Roarke. Doesn't get it enough - yet. But i think he'll become a more consistent contributor.

What I do like about him is that he's good in a contest and generally makes the right decision under pressure.

Correct decision making under pressure will keep you in a Bevo coached side.

The goal kicking also helps.

SharkMeister4

Senior List
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dale has good potential, has a keen goal sense and looked really dangerous in the Vfl for anyone who actually watched. Williams stiff but he was dropped for CD.

Our dale bashes have really gone a bit overboard, we are crying out for natural goalkickers and when one starts performing in the VFL we domt want to utilise that? The mans been injured givee him at least this game

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

I'd much rather be named Bontempelli. Can't remember the last time he got dropped. Clear favouritism.

Meanwhile my boy C. Porter can't even get ONE SINGLE game. What that says to me is that Bevo has a vendetta/blood feud against him. Only explanation!

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Honestly I’d rest Bont this week. Ankle injuries can linger and I wouldn’t take the risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back