AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

21 - heppell.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 27, Highly Evolved

Last edited by a moderator:
“Dyson completed all of the training we asked of him today,” Crow said on Tuesday.

“Assuming he pulls up well, we’ll be taking him to Adelaide and then hoping that he can play in the game."

One thing that Dyson is very, very good at that doesn't seem to get much mention is his marking backing into an oncoming player. He turns his body to protect the drop of the ball so well, and it seems that it often occurs from a hurried clearing kick out of our forward 50 from the opposition.

It's something I've noticed with him for a while and it's a great skill.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
One thing that Dyson is very, very good at that doesn't seem to get much mention is his marking backing into an oncoming player. He turns his body to protect the drop of the ball so well, and it seems that it often occurs from a hurried clearing kick out of our forward 50 from the opposition.

It's something I've noticed with him for a while and it's a great skill.

Probably stems back to his junior days playing exceptionally well as a HBF/Defender. He is bloody inspirational though and glad he's on our team

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
understand he is playing hampered, and was fairly innocuous for the first 3 quarters of the game because of it but that last quarter, wow, he seriously willed us over the line - he is a proper throwback to leaders of the past. That period where he just kept marking it under more and more pressure and pumping it back in with interest was super. Still makes me laugh early season when people questioned our leadership. He has it in spades

Few boxes to tick but a 9 day break between games means he could be available next week.

The availability of star Bombers Dyson Heppell and Orazio Fantasia for Sunday’s match is less certain.

Heppell pushed through some foot pain in an inspirational performance against the Crows last Friday, while Fantasia missed out due to a minor hip injury, and both Dons have some boxes to tick to prove their fitness for the game against the Suns.

“We have nine days (from the clash with Adelaide) into the Gold Coast game,” Crow said.

“We’re assessing both of those players day by day and we’ll be giving match committee the best information after main training on Thursday about whether or not Dyson or Orazio are available for that game.”

Post match interview with him for tonight

Good on him, I love him, but it’s time to pack it in for the year. He was not even close tonight.

Get the foot fixed and start prepping for next year.

If he was going to play one more it should have been one where we at least had Francis and Parish back.. unless the club thought last night was the only winnable game of the 3. :think:

Back