Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Followed by a 6.

If it's a tie does India go through? If so they only need 239.

Tie would’ve gone to a super over. Well done to NZ, very happy India lost.

India and England have absolutely dominated ODI cricket for the last four years. Hopefully we can knock England out tomorrow and all that domination would be for nothing.

Feel for Handscomb. No group matches to get a feel for it, just walks straight into our biggest, highest pressure match of the comp with the score at 2-12 in the third over and the Pom quicks bowling out of their skins.

That said, he looked all at sea and his ashes stocks have just taken a steep dive. His technique is suspect any time and it will be challenging in English conditions.

I was hoping they’d bring in Wade not Handscomb.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I would’ve chosen Handscomb over Wade. His ODI form has been really good and probably should’ve been in the squad initially.

He’s a real asset in the middle overs because he faces spin well and doesn’t face many dot balls. Continues to tick over the scoreboard without taking big risks. Would’ve been perfect for Smith today as the batsman after Carey didn’t perform again and Smith couldn’t switch gears as he was always starting a partnership. Unfortunately he is a complete liability when the ball is moving and didn’t last until the batting got easier.

Hope he’s not an Ashes thought, won’t make a run against Anderson and co when it’s hooping. Can’t see him playing Tests until he changes his technique.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I wouldn’t be totally against a Wade return. He’s been the best state level batsman for an extended period now.

But we’ve seen this movie before. Plays international cricket, fails, dropped. Plays state cricket, dominates, recall. Plays international cricket, fails, dropped. Plays state cricket, dominates, recall. Plays international cricket, fails, dropped. Plays state cricket, dominates, recall. He’s essentially the Mitch Honeychurch of Australian cricket.

I guess I got away from Chicago just in time. This alligator is living in a park lagoon about 2km from where I was brought up as a child. They used to sell baby alligators at local pet shops back then. It appears that they are still allowed in some states with a license. America.
nl61zt.gif

Horrible set of results of sport overnight

- England beats NZ to win the World Cup in terrible circumstances
- Djokovic beats Federer in another epic
- Hamilton wins another GP in the most predictable & boring F1 era

Awful.

And where were you on July 21, 1969 at 11:56:15am 12:56:15pm Melbourne time (July 20, 1969 at 9:56:15pm Chicago time) when Armstrong stepped onto the moon's surface?

I was at my grandmother's home on the shores of Lake Michigan in Kenosha, Wisconsin. My brother(the one who came out here for my birthday last year) and I had been there for over a month during our summer vacation. My parents and two other of my siblings had driven up for the day to visit. I remember all of us gathered around my grandmother's black and white TV watching the event. My dad was concerned because it was a Sunday night and he had to drive 90 miles back home since the next day was a work day for him. He had thought about driving back earlier in the day so they could get home in time to watch it, but decided that it might be more special if we all watched it together(minus my older brother who didn't visit that say). As soon as that foot touched the surface, they were out the door! I believe that my dad drove home at the speed of light. I never would have imagined on that day, that ten years later, in 1979, that my parents would be visiting me here in Melbourne. The 40th anniversary of that trip was in May. I'm positive that Australia would have seemed as far away as the moon to me that warm summer's night back in '69.

Edited: I forgot about DST in the states so I was an hour off the original time I posted. That's why I was an English teacher, not a Maths teacher.

Last edited:
And where were you on July 21, 1969 at 11:56:15am Melbourne time (July 20, 1969 at 8:56:15pm Chicago time) when Armstrong stepped onto the moon's surface?
My parents were in high school, watching on the telly. Long before I existed!

My parents were in high school, watching on the telly. Long before I existed!
I was just remembering back and it came to me that I was also at my grandmother's home on July 23, 1962 when the first live transatlantic broadcast took place. I was only ten and I was amazed that we could see what was happening in Europe at the exact time it was happening.

When I first got my computer in the states in 2000 I was also amazed that I could listen to the Bulldogs footy matches live from the other side of the world. And then when we got cable internet and I could mostly watch the games live... wow! And to think that my grandparents, who were all born in the late 1800s, never even flew in an airplane. :eek:

This was me back in 2000. I had an iMac.
hs9ch2.jpg

Last edited:
And where were you on July 21, 1969 at 11:56:15am Melbourne time (July 20, 1969 at 8:56:15pm Chicago time) when Armstrong stepped onto the moon's surface?

I was at my grandmother's home on the shores of Lake Michigan in Kenosha, Wisconsin. My brother(the one who came out here for my birthday last year) and I had been there for over a month during our summer vacation. My parents and two other of my siblings had driven up for the day to visit. I remember all of us gathered around my grandmother's black and white TV watching the event. My dad was concerned because it was a Sunday night and he had to drive 90 miles back home since the next day was a work day for him. He had thought about driving back earlier in the day so they could get home in time to watch it, but decided that it might be more special if we all watched it together(minus my older brother who didn't visit that say). As soon as that foot touched the surface, they were out the door! I believe that my dad drove home at the speed of light. I never would have imagined on that day, that ten years later, in 1979, that my parents would be visiting me here in Melbourne. The 40th anniversary of that trip was in May. I'm positive that Australia would have seemed as far away as the moon to me that warm summer's night back in '69.
I remember watching it at school. We must have had a big projector or something like that because we were all assembled in the school hall.

I probably didn't appreciate it as much then - and I can't remember much of the details - but I'm now glad they gave us the chance to watch history being made.

I remember watching it at school. We must have had a big projector or something like that because we were all assembled in the school hall.

I probably didn't appreciate it as much then - and I can't remember much of the details - but I'm now glad they gave us the chance to watch history being made.
This event has brought back all kinds of memories for me, things I have not thought about for years. The mention of watching the moonwalk on TV at school brought me back to May 5, 1961. I was in 3rd grade in a Catholic school right in the city of Chicago. Four months later we moved to the suburbs about 42km away. I was in Miss Reynolds' class, a split Grades3/4 class probably with about 50 students back then. I vaguely remember the first American into space, Alan Shepard, blast off from Cape Canaveral. I'm not even sure if we watched the TV or just listened to the takeoff on the radio. As an 8 year old I had no idea of the significance of the event. I also remember having air raid drills where we practiced crouching under our desks and placing our hands on the back of our necks, to save us from the inevitable Russian atomic bomb being dropped on Chicago. LOL

Just saw on the news that Qantas will be introducing direct flights from Chicago to Australia(to Brisbane). About forty years too late for me!

I was a scientific assistant at AERE Harwell in Berkshire, England. We were housed in the RAF airmans mess on the site which was originally a WW2 airfield, re-purposed for atomic research. The hostel had a big common room with a colour TV and we stayed up to watch the moon landing, because it was the wee hours in England.

I was a scientific assistant at AERE Harwell in Berkshire, England. We were housed in the RAF airmans mess on the site which was originally a WW2 airfield, re-purposed for atomic research. The hostel had a big common room with a colour TV and we stayed up to watch the moon landing, because it was the wee hours in England.

Wow, sounds interesting. You'd probably have a better recollection than me. I was just turning 17, about to start my senior year in high school. I texted my brother in the states and I forgot that he wasn't with the family at the time. He was at a neighbour's house just down the road from my grandmothers. He was 11.

Back