Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

With a clean injury slate our list balance is fine IMO, just got too many injured or out of form.

Agree that has Defintally not helped us 1 bit but I still think I make a Point as well

You do, personally I'd like to see more indigenous talent on the list, Hine rarely rolls the dice in that department though.

Agree and I got a Feeling that he wants good hard workers at the Club and the indigenous boys don't always come with that Reputation

doesnt help when our two crumbers are in horrific form (JT and Varcoe).

We need to recruit more indigenous talent, we really lack in that department an have for a while.

Don't really care if the talent is indigenous or not. Eddie Betts or Steven Milne (the player and not the personality) would be nice.

I have noticed a bit this Season we have Depth in some Postions like Medium Forwards but we don't have any Real KPF's at all as Hine has only picked Paine,Gault.McLarty in the National Draft and other 2 Moore and Kelly where Father Sons since 2010.

Also we have a Real Lack of Crumbers. Yes we had Abbott and Kirby and we did not have much luck with them. With Abbott going AWOL after 1 Season and then Kirby's Heart Issue.

Then look at our Midfield we have some Good Inside/Outside Mids but outside of Adams and Maybe Sier we don't have many other Inside/Clarence Players.

Hine has been good of finding players but there too similar to each other.

Thoughts?
Spot on dave and i know people will say that we have keane, Kelly etc. but they might not even make it, we need ready made KPP and a couple of genuine, fast small forwards

Spot on dave and i know people will say that we have keane, Kelly etc. but they might not even make it, we need ready made KPP and a couple of genuine, fast small forwards

and Inside Mids who can win Clearances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of KPP depth is the recurring issue for mine throughout 2018 -2019. An example of that is Keeffe. Could of kept him for next to nothing and he probably would have been happy playing VFL 90% of the time - but offloaded him.

Would've been great to have him out there today. Likewise Finlayson had we taken the punt on him when he was available.

I suggested names like Casbolt, L Jones and Rowe as cheap pickups at the end of last year and was laughed at. Rowe was picked up as depth for St Kilda, Jones has been solid and Casboult has performed at both ends of the ground in 2019...

Casboult would probably have gotten a game at times over Cox this year. Or covered down back so Roughead played ruck forward.

Our repeated lack of KPP depth just comes down to poor list management.

Lack of KPP depth is the recurring issue for mine throughout 2018 -2019. An example of that is Keeffe. Could of kept him for next to nothing and he probably would have been happy playing VFL 90% of the time - but offloaded him.

Would've been great to have him out there today. Likewise Finlayson had we taken the punt on him when he was available.

I suggested names like Casbolt, L Jones and Rowe as cheap pickups at the end of last year and was laughed at. Rowe was picked up as depth for St Kilda, Jones has been solid and Casboult has performed at both ends of the ground in 2019...

Casboult would probably have gotten a game at times over Cox this year. Or covered down back so Roughead played ruck forward.

great post, nailed it, Hine too busy picking midfielders who are one paced, we could have picked up a KPD in the mid season draft but once again he couldn't help himself and picked another midfielder

If you have solid KP depth who can play a role when required, that gives us license to be a bit more creative with guys like Moore and Howe.

Dictate terms to the opposition a bit more.

great post, nailed it, Hine too busy picking midfielders who are one paced, we could have picked up a KPD in the mid season draft but once again he couldn't help himself and picked another midfielder
Don’t think that is fair. Last year we drafted Stephenson who is fast, traded for Murray who’s a pacey half back. This year we drafted a pacey half back in Quaynor and young KPP in Kelly.

Could we have used another mature age defender? Sure. But he’s not picking purely one paced mids all the time

At least Nobel had Pace

is it Hine picking the midfielder type players on draft day or is it the coaching staff requesting them?
Hine answers to the list manager iirc, but at the end of the day Buckley calls the shots on 'types', I reckon that's how it plays out with prime picks anyway, they probably let Hine go best available on crappy picks.

It's an illusion. It's just that Pendles and Sidebottom are such significant players and we got lucky with the Phillips pick that it appears this way. Over the last 5 years, before Beams, which we couldn't resist, (it appears stupidly), all of our first and second round picks other than Aish have been used on pace or height either in the draft or through trade. Most of our later picks have been too.

2013 Traded in Jesse White. Drafted Freeman, Jono Marsh, Shaz, Langdon,
2014 Drafted Degoey Moore Maynard Goodyear Abbott
2015 Traded in Treloar, drafted Sier
2016 Added Wells, Dunn and WHE. Drafted McLarty, Kirby, Callum Brown, Mitch Macarthy, Schade, re-added Keeffe
2017 Traded in Sam Murray. Drafted Stephenson, Tyler Brown, Mihocek
2018 Traded in Roughhead. Drafted Quaynor, Kelly, Atu.
2019 Noble

Plus we've trialled a heap of Cat B talls. I personally think this is a dead end as reading the ball flight is the most important skill a tall can have and I think it's acquired through playing a heap of footy. I reckon if they're serious about going this way, these guys should be doing an additional session of kick to kick each day to make up for all the lunchtime hours that their peers did throughout high school - I'd include Grundy in these sessions too - as reading the ball flight is the one aspect of the game he needs to work on.

We've actually steered clear of proper inside mids and I think it's left a bit of a hole there.

Last edited:
With a clean injury slate our list balance is fine IMO, just got too many injured or out of form.
The problem with our list is that at this time next year, the same players are likely to be suffering the same injuries, and the out of form players now may become the delisted or list clogging players of the future. But if you are happy to have half the squad missing post mid season, and are willing to overlook the chronics and the cloggers, by all means compliment the quality of the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back