Preview Round 18, 2019: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 21st July, 4:40PM AEST *LANGLANDS DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 26 47.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Matty Wright is my mate. He’s a Darwin boy.. goes between WA and Darwin now. Mad as a cut snake. Best chopper pilot I’ve come across though. He collects all the croc eggs for a farmer up there and the government. Needs help every now and then with the boats.
What an awesome, left field, experience. Enjoy

The people at the club believing something doesn't make it so. They thought Weller was good too.

They didn’t sign Weller for 3 years ever. Most get two, he got 3 that’s all I’m saying. Not speaking for you, but I figure the club knows more than I do. It’s an interesting length of time for sure and certainly doesn’t put him close to being delisted as some are suggesting should happen.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
They didn’t sign Weller for 3 years ever. Most get two, he got 3 that’s all I’m saying. Not speaking for you, but I figure the club knows more than I do. It’s an interesting length of time for sure and certainly doesn’t put him close to being delisted as some are suggesting should happen.
Also interesting that he was signed earlier in the year when people were under the impression we'd turned a corner and keep Richo. I think it's pretty telling that the first move Ratts made was to take him out the team.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I think DMac is suffering from Richo expecting every player to be a half back first- he is definitely not a backman, more a outside run winger/ onballer, but has never been used much in those roles as I would have liked. Hope he bounces back under a new coach.

When we drafted him he was a hbf who "might" be able to play midfield.
When we played him he struggled to get his hands on the ball, and therefore ended up with a lock down role.
If he can't tag/lockdown, we need to delist him.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Perhaps. I doubt it though. Are you trying to tell me it's a coincidence that the only change that wasn't forced involved dropping him for a debutant rookie?
We omitted a defender playing as a forward and brought in a midfielder. To me that suggests Ratten wanted another midfielder to rotate rather than he thinks Mckenzie will never make it as an AFL Player and his 3 year extension was only because Richo loved him. Each to their own though.

Last edited:

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
We omitted a defender playing as a forward and brought in a midfielder. To me that suggests Ratten wanted another midfielder to rotate rather than he thinks Mckenzie will never make it as an AFL Player and his 3 year extension was only because Richo loved him. Each to their own though.
Why was McKenzie playing forward in the first place? Because the coaches valued every other defender that played over him as a defender.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

No, but when the club signed him for 3 years they certainly wouldn't have expected him to be a) moved to the forward line; then b) dropped, within the next couple of months. I suspect his development isn't quite going to plan.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Or the coaches thought he was the best option to play a defense role on Tom Stewart.
Who then went on to have 21 touches, 9 intercept possessions and the third most metres gained on the ground, while McKenzie had 4 touches and 2 tackles. What a fantastic effort playing as a defensive forward.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who then went on to have 21 touches, 9 intercept possessions and the third most metres gained on the ground, while McKenzie had 4 touches and 2 tackles. What a fantastic effort playing as a defensive forward.
He didn't do a great job but thats not relevant to your original statement which suggested he was removed from the backline because he was valued less than every other defender. If anything, him being moved forward to do a defensive job suggests the coaches thought he was the best defensive option out of our current available players and they were actually valuing his defensive capabilities.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
He didn't do a great job but thats not relevant to your original statement which suggested he was removed from the backline because he was valued less than every other defender. If anything, him being moved forward to do a defensive job suggests the coaches thought he was the best defensive option out of our current available players and they were actually valuing his defensive capabilities.

I’m sure the selection committee justified moving DMac to the forward line with a positive spin but the fact is he was no longer valued as a small defender otherwise he would’ve stayed there.

DMac has had a few hidings this year, he’s definitely regressed (although he’s always been overrated by our coaching team) & been a liability.

You can’t afford to have blokes with DMac’s lack of skill or lack of decision making skill in the back half with scores from turnovers a huge scoring play for teams.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
It does because if he was rated as a better defensive option than say, Paton, he would've played in defence.

Saints43

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2010
Flemington
AFL Club
St Kilda
If anything, him being moved forward to do a defensive job suggests the coaches thought he was the best defensive option out of our current available players and they were actually valuing his defensive capabilities.

And maybe that's why the head coach is on holidays on Bali at the moment?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m sure the selection committee justified moving DMac to the forward line with a positive spin but the fact is he was no longer valued as a small defender otherwise he would’ve stayed there.

DMac has had a few hidings this year, he’s definitely regressed (although he’s always been overrated by our coaching team) & been a liability.

You can’t afford to have blokes with DMac’s lack of skill or lack of decision making skill in the back half with scores from turnovers a huge scoring play for teams.
If they didnt value his defensive ability, they wouldn't have moved him specifically to do a defensive job.

He has struggled since Cameron got a hold of him, decent against North but then terrible again against Geelong so rightfully was dropped.

He is actually ranked pretty low for turnovers among our defenders, so hasn't been as big of a liability in that this year as people think. It's mainly this past month where he has stagnated and it's been more noticeable. Probably panicking a bit more.

It does because if he was rated as a better defensive option than say, Paton, he would've played in defence.
Playing in defence doesn't automatically make someone is a better defensive option.

The player thats given a specific defensive role, no matter which line they are playing in, is being seen as a better defensive option rather than the player roaming around and picking up whichever player is near them.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
If they didnt value his defensive ability, they wouldn't have moved him specifically to do a defensive job.

He has struggled since Cameron got a hold of him, decent against North but then terrible again against Geelong so rightfully was dropped.

He is actually ranked pretty low for turnovers among our defenders, so hasn't been as big of a liability in that this year as people think. It's mainly this past month where he has stagnated and it's been more noticeable. Probably panicking a bit more.

Playing in defence doesn't automatically make someone is a better defensive option.

The player thats given a specific defensive role, no matter which line they are playing in, is being seen as a better defensive option rather than the player roaming around and picking up whichever player is near them.
Well he's copped plenty of hidings for a "better" defender. At this point it doesn't really matter what you, I or anyone at the club thinks, the stats say he's not a very good defender in any position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back