Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:
Stat2019 NEAFL (Sydney Swans)2018 VFL (Sandringham)
Total games713
Total goals99
Total behinds93
Total best players list27
Average kicks7.67.3
Average handballs2.15.9
Average disposals 9.713.2
Average marks5.15.2
Average tackles1.93.5
Average hitouts3.610.3
Average inside 50s1.12.6
Average rebound 50s0.00.4
Average frees for0.61.1
Averages free against0.90.9
Average Dream Team points60.4375.92

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Stat2019 NEAFL (Sydney Swans)2018 VFL (Sandringham)
Total games713
Total goals99
Total behinds93
Total best players list27
Average kicks7.67.3
Average handballs2.15.9
Average disposals 9.713.2
Average marks5.15.2
Average tackles1.93.5
Average hitouts3.610.3
Average inside 50s1.12.6
Average rebound 50s0.00.4
Average frees for0.61.1
Averages free against0.90.9
Average Dream Team points60.4375.92
Interesting he was better at VFL level. Perhaps had more midfield minutes.

The numbers would suggest he was played more in the ruck at VFL. He's pretty much sat in the goalsquare for us at NEAFL level save for a few short stints in the ruck relieving Cameron earlier in the season.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
That has nothing to do with whether someone was hoping he would be picked up in a draft...
I think we could revisit the drafting hypotheticals of the poster and McLean’s name won’t be mentioned. That has everything to do with any draft!

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we could revisit the drafting hypotheticals of the poster and McLean’s name won’t be mentioned. That has everything to do with any draft!

I get that you’re trying to say something but I honestly still have no idea what it is.

Are you saying that caeser didn’t hope that we picked up McLean in the pre-season draft?

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I get that you’re trying to say something but I honestly still have no idea what it is.

Are you saying that caeser didn’t hope that we picked up McLean in the pre-season draft?
All good, yes. I mean, I could say that I predicted our draft picks but does that make it true if there’s no evidence?

All good, yes. I mean, I could say that I predicted our draft picks but does that make it true if there’s no evidence?

Just because there's no evidence doesn't make it not true, either.

But since you asked...

I've seen plenty of Hayden McLean and I rated him as a teen, was very surprised he wasn't picked up in the draft. Having said that I have a hard time picturing him as an AFL-level key defender.

We wouldn't be doing too bad for ourselves if we picked up McLean as a bargain. He's very tough and got a great attitude for development IMO. As I said not sure I rate him that highly on ability alone but strikes me as the type that could thrive under a good professional system.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

It’s a pretty bold claim to say someone is lying about something with no evidence too. And just kinda odd. Not everybody expresses every draft hope in threads on BigFooty.

Seems a really strange attempt at a call-out over a really inconsequential comment.

Edit: Oh and it turns out he did say he rated McLean in the lead-up to the pre-season draft. So there you go.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Check the dates of the post...March 2019. When we’re the drafts again?

They have a history of being into McLean before we signed him. If they’re posting about it post-draft, they were probably into him pre-draft.

There is absolutely no evidence that he’s lying, he has no reason to lie, why the hell have you picked up on such an innocuous post and accused him of lying?

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
They have a history of being into McLean before we signed him. If they’re posting about it post-draft, they were probably into him pre-draft.

There is absolutely no evidence that he’s lying, he has no reason to lie, why the hell have you picked up on such an innocuous post and accused him of lying?
They do not have a history, he was invited to train with another guy or two (I think one was Maguire from Canberra) after Maibaum went down with an ACL. Why are you so wrong and I’m so right?

Edit: It was former Collingwood listed Sam McLarty

Last edited:

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
And what date was that? I have March 2019. What dates were the drafts?
He specifically mentions rating McLean having seen him from a younger age. Do you think he seriously posted that as a sleeper in order to get a win in this thread months down the track?

Mystified by the discussion above.

Back OT, seems to me the young fella will play a variety of roles today. From what I have seen in the Ressies, he is best played as a small ruck forward. He is tough and uses a robust 'knockemdown'.

I have no great expectations of him but will be curious to see him skittle a few Dockers, be involved in and win a few contest's.

Naughty kids Sataris and Kummerspeck

Am sure C88 and MO would agree they were both pleased with the debut.

I suspect some of his stats were a little exaggerated. Sandi is a statue. I could hug him and it would count as a tackle.

That said it was an excellent effort from a young tall. He will need to develop his career as a utility, lacking the right size to be a ft ruckman. He is a McKernan type size. The latter has lacked the ability to ruck or be a tall forward, but has a career as a utility.

What McLean has is smarts. He looks like he is a natural footy player. He might have a good career.

Well done young lad on a fine debut. Trying circumstances and he rose to the occasion as best as you could expect. Far from a disaster and more than made his mark, which can be difficult to do as a big fella (ask Darcy Cameron.)

Agree. To be fair to Cameron, Horse played him forwardalmost the entire game.

Back