• 47: Ivan Soldo

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • 48: Liam Baker

Votes: 10 4.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was obvious at the ground Port were intent on playing this play on as much as possible quick quick quick style. We got caught a couple of times but thought overall we handled it pretty well.

How good is Lunch? Really smacking into blokes, it's great.

If we can get over Pies we're looking real, real good.

Yeah true , it’s a risk though I rekon as Chol playing pretty good imo , only just lacking a little bit of grunt on a few occasions . I think Nank is ok around the ground but not a great tap ruckman at all
This is an interesting and delicious dilemma. I can see a case for almost every possible permutation. You could leave it as it is. You could swap Nank for Soldo and leave Chol in as relief-ruck/forward because Soldo's not good around the ground so can only be first ruck. You could Swap Nank for Chol and have Soldo take the centre bounce and make Nank ruck/forward because he's better suited to bustling than leaping and can take marks and kick goals. I can also see a case for having Chol take the centre bounces and having Nank take the stoppages around the ground.

It looked bad at times, but it got us a good win. Maybe there is something there? The game has been getting "smaller" for 40 years. In the 70s and 80s handballs were almost taboo, but now teams seem to be getting closer to the 1:1 ratio. Dimma is innovative enough to see this, just as he was with the adapting the hyper pressure of the dogs and port in 2017. I'll back in the coaches here.

TLDR? If richmond win the premiership in 2019 with a strong "over" handball game, expect the handball to be outlawed in 2020.
Yep. Forward handballs banned

Couple of observations for discussion,
Chol is terrific. Love him but he shuns body contact. Almost to the point where he is scared.
His pros far outweigh his cons though.
The other is I like soldo's work at the bounces. Does he stay in?

It'll be interesting who makes way for him, and that it's a genuine question is a great sign.

A couple of weeks back, I'd have thought we'd go with Nank and whoever of Balta & Chol was going better (or even back to a Grigg style 2nd, although I doubt that works so well now), but Soldo really seems to been taking that next step. Given their knees, I don't see Lynch or Jack being used.

Worth remembering that the original idea with Nank was for him to be a forward/2nd ruck with Hampson doing the bulk of the ruckwork, so a Soldo/Nank matchup isn't out of the question.

The knock on Chol for some time has been his consistency...He's obviously improved there, but I can see him having a poor/ordinary game or two before long, opening the door.

We may well spend the next few weeks working through the combinations seeing which one works best.

Yeah we don't bother unless it's against a genuine big 4 club, that's why I asked you guys to do it :)

I can understand that. Like your games, you need to opposition to provide the crowd numbers.

I can understand that. Like your games, you need to opposition to provide the crowd numbers.
Yep we're bloody minnows man.

Funny thing is, we still draw crowds even without coming good for the first time since the days of Christ.

What sort of crowd are we expecting Friday night? Tiges on the march and the Pies haven't played in Melbourne for 2 weeks, weather permitting (and car parks) it should be enormous.

Last edited:
I agree, did look a little tired but that’s pretty standard for a first year player after a number of games..
Didn’t Centre the ball on one occasion which no doubt will be highlighted in the review..
Still did some good things..

Just wondering if he should switch with Edwards.
That had to be Edwards worst game in years, never seen so many errant handballs from him today. Expect him to bounce back next week

Was sitting there in level 4 right behind Stack when he took that shot and missed when he could have centered it. Was gonna be an absolutely difficult kick. Would have had to kick it across his body. If he undercooked or overcooked the kick, it would have been a direct turnover and Port had numbers out the back.

I reckon him taking a ping was the smarter option, looking from that vantage point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without reading any previous comments I think broady needs some recognition. Just does his job 80-90% of the time, has probably had 3-4 absolute mares in his career which some fans never forget but in a money ball scenario he is as underrated as they come. Solid as a rock again today but every week people want him dropped.

This. At the ground with an elevated vantage point, you could see just how hard he works and how fantastic his positioning is behind the play. It is something that TheLoungeLizard noted to me. His work was incredible.

Short, Soldo and Graham are in trouble I think. Caddy, Nankervis and McIntosh will come in.

Backline is really developing some synergy now. Look to have well and truly settled. The side has that look of hunger where we love the grind and you just know we’re going to keep improving as the year progresses.

Structures looking really good with Lynch, Jack and the 2 rucks.

I’d only look at one change for next week - Short out for Macca. I’d rather see Nank play a second full game in the vfl before coming back into seniors.

Fwd handball the past few weeks has been nuts I like that we’re trying something new with our game style. If we get the balance right watchout

We got smoked in clearances and stoppage clearances today but seemed to do well in the ruck, contested possessions and groundball gets way up.

Inside 50’s and tackles also up.

Anything to worry about RE graham tackle? Also hope Ross isn’t far away would love to see him get a chance to get back in this side.

Tough gig picking the bests:
Dusty
Prestia
Houli
Lynch
Grimes
Astbury
Ellis

A few others not far off

Last edited:
Yep we're bloody minnows man.

Funny thing is, we still draw crowds even without coming good for the first time since the days of Christ.

What sort of crowd are we expecting Friday night? Tiges on the march and the Pies haven't played in Melbourne for 2 weeks, weather permitting (and car parks) it should be enormous.

We'll get 60 or 70K...You guys...let's see small club, wheels falling off the bandwagon...maybe 10K? So 70 or 80 thousand all up.

Last edited:
The team is relatively stabilised now.
Can't see too many changes.
Soldo does what is required, does not need to be omitted.
Chol is faster, can run through lines, great pass to Castagna.
A puzzle for the selection panel but a good one to have, a surplus of players to choose from.
Baker and Short had the lowest rankings.

Last edited:
We have a nasty habit of reattaching wheels whilst in motion, you of all people should know that.

They always manage to wobble off again before the last Saturday in September though.

Missed the 1st quarter but really enjoyed the game. Scoreline flattered Port and we got screwed by the umps again.

Can't really find any outs... Everyone did enough to justify selection next week.

If Nank is to come in who's it for Soldo or Chol? Our running handballing gameplan seems to suit Chol better than the other two but at a few ball ups Dixon just took the possesion out of the ruck and I wonder wether this is a tactic other sides will look to exploit against him.

Going to stick with no change. Nank and Caddy to stay in the VFL.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back