Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool

Nice little read and good to see Trent supporting a worthwhile cause.
Beyond that it's great to see him practice meditation. We've got a stickied thread on mental health that signifies its prevalence in society and how much it concerns many of us and how many of us suffer from mental health challenges. I am sure (I hope) that many of those that have suffered mental health issues will have some appreciation for the benefits of meditation over medication.

I'm seriously impressed with his dedication and discipline, but I guess there's no better place for a regime like this to be put in place than an elite sporting club with its disciplines and support systems.

It’s not really happening for him is it? Just not quite the player he was last year.

I think half forward would suit him better. Has good endurance, good over head, gets to contests and has good goal sense. Worth a shot, has about the same speed as Greene.

Still averages 24 disposals a game this year. Not our biggest concern atm.
Stats are not reflective of his game. He is not suited to the wing and playing him up forward would allow him to utilise some of his strengths. Right now in his defensive wing role he is doing his job but he is limited.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think half forward would suit him better. Has good endurance, good over head, gets to contests and has good goal sense. Worth a shot, has about the same speed as Greene.

I see where you’re coming from but he doesn’t have Greene’s game sense or skill. Not potting him, it’s just that Greene is a serious talent. When Greene used to play in the midfield he’d get 35+ most weeks. Besides, once Garner comes back which half forward is Dumont going to replace.

I’d like to see Dumont spend more time as an inside mid

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Still averages 24 disposals a game this year. Not our biggest concern atm.
I think his mediocre leg speed on the wing (especially on the rebound) is not ideal for us now and in the future.

Need to find him a new role next year or used in trade negotiations this year.

Stats are not reflective of his game. He is not suited to the wing and playing him up forward would allow him to utilise some of his strengths. Right now in his defensive wing role he is doing his job but he is limited.
Who is to play in his stead on the wing? J Mac, nowhere near as accountable and contested. LDU, not quick or fit enough. Ahern, I preferred the HB suggestion than the wing, would blow up on the wing.

The simple facts remain that Dumont is playing wing because he's one of our most accountable two-way contested runners we've got, that runs hard to the last of the minute of the game, forward and back. His ball-use was good last night and he had a good first half.

Half-Forward is the only other role mainly because he played there in juniours, as the Freo game showed that he just can't do the inside role as well as others at this stage.

I think his mediocre leg speed on the wing (especially on the rebound) is not ideal for us now and in the future.

Need to find him a new role next year or used in trade negotiations this year.
Open to suggestions for his replacement. Unless we get a Hill type player or draft one, which will take time, we are stuck with Froggy on the wing.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who is to play in his stead on the wing? J Mac, nowhere near as accountable and contested. LDU, not quick or fit enough. Ahern, I preferred the HB suggestion than the wing, would blow up on the wing.

The simple facts remain that Dumont is playing wing because he's one of our most accountable two-way contested runners we've got, that runs hard to the last of the minute of the game, forward and back. His ball-use was good last night and he had a good first half.

Half-Forward is the only other role mainly because he played there in juniours, as the Freo game showed that he just can't do the inside role as well as others at this stage.

I reckon Will Walker will eventually take that wing. That’s a while off though.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Open to suggestions for his replacement. Unless we get a Hill type player or draft one, which will take time, we are stuck with Froggy on the wing.
Yeah mate I like the kid a lot, but if we cant find him a new role in the side then we trade for someone who can play that role, or put Bailey in there next year.

Edit: Yeah WW is the other, thanks Val.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Will Walker will eventually take that wing. That’s a while off though.
He's destined for Rat's current role, he's our link up half-forward that we've lacked since Boomer. TBH, I am waiting for Walker/Crocker/Scott/TT to get a tank. They are all 2 seasons away from replicating Dumont's two way running. A short term fix will be Ahern, but his speed is not much better at this stage and he's only a slightly better ball user this year, not to mention his questionable tank.

Yeah mate I like the kid a lot, but if we cant find him a new role in the side then we trade for someone who can play that role, or put Bailey in there next year.
Bailey would blow up, unless he makes remarkable progress in the pre-season. Ironically enough, quite a few players could benefit from a pre-season with Froggy.

How many second year wingers do you see doing well at AFL level, not too many.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's destined for Rat's current role, he's our link up half-forward that we've lacked since Boomer. TBH, I am waiting for Walker/Crocker/Scott/TT to get a tank. They are all 2 seasons away from replicating Dumont's two way running. A short term fix will be Ahern, but his speed is not much better at this stage and he's only a slightly better ball user this year, not to mention his questionable tank.

Spose that’s why we’ve targeted wingers in the trade period. Something that wouldn’t be lost on Dumont I’m sure.

Spose that’s why we’ve targeted wingers in the trade period. Something that wouldn’t be lost on Dumont I’m sure.
We'll find a spot for him. Two-way runners like him are pure gold to AFL coaches.

I see Scott taking the other wing in 2 years time.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Until we have another midfielder that can cover 15+km a game and be accountable, then the position is his. You mention he does his role, which is more than can be said for half the side and for that reason he is in the first handful of players picked each week.

Hall was trialled there but was too unaccountable. You have Polec on the other wing who is unaccountable so you can’t have two of those types on the outside or you get torn apart.

Bailey Scott is the obvious one as he has the running capacity, but he is still a while away yet from playing to Dumont standards

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Thought his first half was really good yesterday, and then he was decent after that. Don't get the criticism, I had him in our best 4-5.

I posted in the GDT about this, but it's worth repeating here. He's the only one of our mids who has genuinely elite defensive abilities when it comes to the outside when it comes to things like positioning, running patterns, Ie. the mental side of the game. The likes of Jed and Ziebell an tackle and cause pressure in the immediate vicinity of the ball when it's in close, but when it gets anywhere remotely near the outside they're pretty much done in that respect.

Agree with above, Bailey Scott is one who has potential in this area too, but for it won't come at the expense of Dumont. I actually think we still need someone who can do those things in the team because we still are liable to getting carved open on the spread, even with the improved defensive set up from Shaw.

Kanga26

Draftee
Jun 8, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How would Mason Wood go as a winger? I think in last several weeks he has shown a greater intensity for the contest. He has a good tank and athletic. We could give a few others at half forward a go in his spot. Maybe Hosie? As others have said Dumont as an inside/outside mid rotating through half forward.

tiltraise

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2008
arden street
AFL Club
North Melbourne

NORTH Melbourne midfielder Trent Dumont has opened up on his battle with mental health after the "hardest time in my life" as an AFL footballer.

In a confronting discussion, the 23-year-old has revealed how he shut himself off from all human interaction in a two-and-a-half-year period from 2014-2016.

The South Australian also believed his AFL career would be cut short after being levelled with charges – which were later dropped – following an altercation with a taxi driver in his home state in 2014.

"It was a really, really large emotional rollercoaster," Dumont told Channel Nine on Monday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back