Autopsy Umpiring šŸ˜³ (autopsy vs Lions)

Remove this Banner Ad

You know the umpires ****ed up big when the AFL confirms it was the wrong call.

AFL will do everything to protect their children in the way of okaying wrong calls

Thia time they had no way to justify it

Correct. Luke Darcy might not agree with the free, but he is wrong.

If Brown and O were standing body to body competing for the ball it would have been fine to put the arm in the chest.

However because they never initiated contact and Brown was on the move, running and jumping for the ball when O pushed him to the chest, it meant it was a clear block.

They have been paying it that way all year.
I watched it again and it was the correct decision. He moves towards Brown and puts his arm out to block him from competing for the Ruck. At first I thought it was controversial, but looking at it again, it was a clear free kick.

If McInerney stood his ground then itā€™s no free kick, but he moves towards Brown to shepherd him from contesting the ruck.

Yeah no doubt - just unlike us to lose them that badly whatever was happening.

The centre square stuff - need to get a special team in there. Marley with his strength, agility and pace, Atley as well. Then just revert back to normal positions - usual mids play midfield the rest of the time including at stoppages round the ground where it's more congested.

There's so much space for longer at centre square stoppages now with 6-6-6.

Off the topic, Atley.
I think he's matured into great player. Loved how he made space, used his speed and his passing is becoming deadly accurate.

We had lots of rotation mixes
JZ Cunners Jed
Jed Higgins JS

We generally rotate them in forward line.

I don't mind the idea of throwing defenders in the mix like Marley.

But not sure how that will go with our mainly rotating forwards mixing it down back.

Seems like something they'd need to work in pre season

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Anyone remember Dayne Zorko throwing his body out like a spiral during the game looking for a free kick? Pathetic. Can anyone clarify wtf happened in that third quarter when Turner was blocked off the mark and the umpire still paid the mark to Brisbane but he called it a block at the same time? I was mind******.
He didnā€™t call it a mark until well after he had signalled free kick, blocking.

In fact all our players set up for our free kick.

Itā€™s one thing to make a decision, totally reverse it, but to then let Brisbane go forward when our players had set up for our kick is a disgrace.

If itā€™s a genuine * up then give the team a chance to reset you incompetent *stick!!!!

Off the topic, Atley.
I think he's matured into great player. Loved how he made space, used his speed and his passing is becoming deadly accurate.

JZ Cunners Jed
Jed Higgins JS

But not sure how that will go with our mainly rotating forwards mixing it down back.

Nah I think Marley is too important to our back 6 to be in the midfield mix. Not to mention he's a hack it long sort of kick which has long been a big problem of our midfield group.

Was it 10 to 1 frees in the third. It was disgusting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah, but not all of them were from incompetence on the umps' behalf, or corruption as some people nonsensically claim. A lot of it, as even Rhyce Shaw said, was down to our own ill-discipline.

Off the topic, Atley.

JZ Cunners Jed
Jed Higgins JS

Completely agree on all of that on Atley and he seems stronger through the core.

I should have put it this way - I think Williams and Atley have the attributes you need at centre square bounces. Agility, pace and pound for pound strength especially in Marley's case. We need both in defence but it'd be good to work out a way to get them in there and then straight back.

It just seems like our centre clearance set ups should work with the guys in there but they don't. We've gone through patches this year under both coaches of losing multiple consecutive CS clearances. We look slow at times.

But agree - off season.

Last edited:
Yeah, but not all of them were from incompetence on the umps' behalf, or corruption as some people nonsensically claim. A lot of it, as even Rhyce Shaw said, was down to our own ill-discipline.
If you have played footy you would understand how easily you become undisciplined when you clearly know you arenā€™t being allowed to play the game by some of the most inexplicable s**t we have seen for a long while.

Simpkin was called undisciplined for kicking the leg out, when it was a reaction to Zorko pinching his leg.

Players become undisciplined when umpires lose control.

You could tell last night by a lot of the reactions that the players knew that something was going on.

Last edited:
I hope the Zorko pinch/claw on Jy gets an airing. An explanation is needed.
In the third term there were 14 actual decisions made by umps. Two were clear frees to Bris, one a clear free to us.
11 others, including bizarre decision change, and Turner and Durdin non marks were all contentious. They all went Brisbane's way. Remarkable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the third term there were 14 actual decisions made by umps. Two were clear frees to Bris, one a clear free to us.
11 others, including bizarre decision change, and Turner and Durdin non marks were all contentious. They all went Brisbane's way. Remarkable.
Itā€™s not remarkable at all.

Itā€™s whats good for QLD football.

I lost it over the Turner non mark.

I canā€™t pay it because Iā€™m not sure was the comment.... just wow.

How many times have we seen non marks paid because the umpire wasnā€™t sure it hit the ground. Now we have the complete opposite. If the umpire is unsure if it hit the ground, then surely it has to be paid a mark?

FFS mate, if you really think the AFL direct the umps to look after specific teams then you need to seek help.
If you honestly think this sport is squeaky clean then you are naive.

The AFL is about profit maximisation. With Gold Coast being a shitshow, having Brisbane in the top 4 is what QLD footy needs.

Iā€™ve seen poor umpiring before, but the 3rd quarter was outright bizarre and inexplicable. Iā€™m not sure in a random sport how the inexplicable seems to be in constant favour of one side?

Having caused myself a near concussion during the final quarter by throwing my head back and banging it on the carpeted concrete floor (yes, I was sitting on the floor 3 feet from the TV screen), Iā€™d now like to do my usual thing and move on very quickly. How good is our somewhat young team playing right now?! Wait until Bailey, Will, Thomas, Larkey, Jy and LDU really hit their straps. Weā€™ve been in every single game up to our necks apart from the Freo and 1st * game, despite a woeful early to mid-season game plan. It was dreadful how we were impacted by the umpires last night, but letā€™s not kid ourselves, itā€™s happened to plenty of other teams in the past. The umpires got spooked by the whole Port/Neale debacle and subsequent media outcry and we were the victims. So, letā€™s pay back Port in a few weeks time! Weā€™ve been put out of our misery now and can sit back and take a more circumspect view of the remainder of the season - hopefully, minus the soul-destroying player bashing that some of us here seem to relish. Fat chance, I know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you honestly think this sport is squeaky clean then you are naive.

The AFL is about profit maximisation. With Gold Coast being a s**tshow, having Brisbane in the top 4 is what QLD footy needs.

Iā€™ve seen poor umpiring before, but the 3rd quarter was outright bizarre and inexplicable. Iā€™m not sure in a random sport how the inexplicable seems to be in constant favour of one side?
Brisbane where all over us in the third. When a team is playing better they often get the frees their way because theyā€™re first to the ball.

As I said before, the umpiring of AFL has become ridiculously over officiated but some tinfoil hat conspiracy theory is fricking ridiculous. If it did happen some ex AFL ump would spill the beans and people would go to gaol. It just doesnā€™t happen so stop banging on about it.

FFS mate, if you really think the AFL direct the umps to look after specific teams then you need to seek help.

If they direct the tribunal ... which they do.

Brisbane where all over us in the third. When a team is playing better they often get the frees their way because theyā€™re first to the ball.

As I said before, the umpiring of AFL has become ridiculously over officiated but some tinfoil hat conspiracy theory is fricking ridiculous. If it did happen some ex AFL ump would spill the beans and people would go to gaol. It just doesnā€™t happen so stop banging on about it.
Of course they were all over us in the 3rd. They were handed the ball 10 times in the quarter to our one.

Some of the decisions and non-decisions in that quarter alone where mind boggling.

Can you explain why only one team benefited from these mind boggling decisions?

Before totally moving on though, my take on last night was that we started strongly, building a 3+ goal lead and maintaining it fairly comfortably by being very efficient going forward and pressuring the Lions into rushed and difficult shots. This is why Brisbane made zero inroads in the second quarter, despite dominating territory. I believe it would have continued in the third, except for the umpire freak out period halfway through.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did you see the run Zorko got? The sudden reversal in favour of Hodge? The patch of play that somehow ended up in them shooting for goal? I still don't know how they ended up with the ball where they did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back