Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Reminiscent of Peter Yagmoor and his disastrous debut in 2012.

Except for Apples it wasn’t his debut.

Can’t help but feel for the kid, to bear the brunt of our decimated defence. I hope he gets his confidence back. That was awful for him.

Exactly, terrible for him to play in a game where his selection was totally irrelevant. Buckley and the match committee owe him an apology, and l hope his confidence hasn't taken too much of a battering.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
The bloke was set up to fail yesterday. Give him another crack when he has a real role to play and we'll see how far he can go :)

Depends on how Bucks and the match committee see it. If they admit they got it wrong at the selection table then he may get another crack, if not, then that game just about stamped Apples papers for seasons end.

Last edited:
Seeing as continuity is something for us to be envious of rather than actually achieve ourselves, maybe play Apples on Caddy or even better Rioli next week and see how he goes. Just not... you know... Lynch.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Appleby's selection is up there with Bradbury winning gold at the Olympics.. only way to explain it. His game agst Bris up there last yr.. where he single handedly almost cost us the game was bad. His performance last night was the stuff of legend. When he wasn't getting drilled by their forwards.. he was in absolute no mans land. It was quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen anyone play.
That's it boy! get in there nice and deep like!

This bloke sucks and has always sucked

I could think of 50 state league players that could offer more than this bloke
Yep. People keep saying give him another shot, but from what I saw last year, hes nothing special.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hang on a minute.

Wasn’t there a chorus begging that he play as he’s the best one on one lock down defender.

Fickle.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I like Appleby, I continue to think he's a decent prospect, but he shouldn't have been out there today. He's had an interrupted season, has yet to find form this year at VFL, and today was thrown in against a good side but without a fair match-up.

Terrible mistake.

This is my take. He’s an okish prospect not one that I’m convinced will make it, but I’m fine with him getting an opportunity.

The problem I have is yesterday was a complete cluster* for him and the match committee! There was a chance it could work, but they had to get the planning bang on and we blew it. It’s super disappointing all round.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was there?

Do you think the people singing that chorus the same people singing this one?

Probably not.
Generally the

Whingers whinge.

The singers sing.

The chatters chat.

He’s been pretty decent in his AFL games before this one. It’s ridiculously unfair to rip on him about this performance when he was totally slaughtered by the coach and match committee.

His confidence took a smashing early then every other part of his game fell away as his confidence got destroyed.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whilst Flynn was in a precarious position he was selected to play AFL senior football.

At the end you’ve got to do what’s asked - fair or unfair.

Playing seniors isn’t a charity or benefit.

Was unfortunate. But that was his circumstances. He either steps up or steps out.

That simple.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Whilst Flynn was in a precarious position he was selected to play AFL senior football.

Was unfortunate. But that was his circumstances. He either steps up or steps out.

That simple.

Yeah Buckley is partly to blame for the selection.. but it wasn't like he shoved Consertino in an ADX prison cell and told him to escape.

If it doesn't go Appleby's way.. in a lock down roll for eg.. he will be a massive liability.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hang on a minute.

Wasn’t there a chorus begging that he play as he’s the best one on one lock down defender.

Fickle.

I don't think his form post return from injury has been flash so not sure there's been too much of a chorus. Worst game I've seen him play at any level.

Writing was on the wall ,Appleby,crocker,varcoe in ,always going to get smashed .
Unless they’re four out-and-out guns coming in, four changes in one week is a negative for any team’s chances.

Jul 13, 2007
Elwood
AFL Club
Collingwood

That simple.
In the preseason Appleby was looking fantastic and was in for a great season. Then he badly did his hamstring. Basically his season has been wrecked from that point on. 2019 was always going to be a write off. Hopefully he gets another chance to reset himself for next season. If he doesn't another club will pick him up as a rookie and he will prove a lot of people wrong who have written him off at Collingwood.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the preseason Appleby was looking fantastic and was in for a great season. Then he badly did his hamstring. Basically his season has been wrecked from that point on. 2019 was always going to be a write off. Hopefully he gets another chance to reset himself for next season. If he doesn't another club will pick him up as a rookie and he will prove a lot of people wrong who have written him off at Collingwood.
I think we’ll keep him.
He can have a big preseason then we can see where he’s at.

Nice type.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Hang on a minute.

Fickle.

At the time he was - not sure what they've been doing with him since then.

One thing he isn't is a tall defender capable of playing on someone nearly 4 inches taller and 7kgs heavier.

I find it laughable that some posters on this board are going full keyboard warrior on him instead of the selection committee, because it was patently obvious that he was totally outmatched physically and I don't think he's ever been given the job on a legitimate 6'4+ tall forward even at VFL level.

Not his fault but was simply too small against his bigger, stronger apponents. Got out marked in front of goal.
But the thing was most of them weren't contested marks. GWS kicked it magnificently, but he didn't play tight enough to get beaten by height and strength, he was out-positioned

Back