Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesDP

All Australian
Sep 4, 2011
Leongatha
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leeds United
Peter Gordon is the panic artist here, he panicked thinking that the Saints were going to poach Beveridge. Oh well thems the breaks.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
dont know if its worth a new thread but i'll put this in here as Bev needs a hard look at it....

Jason Johannissen

By the end of 2016 JJ was the one of the best attacking half backs in the AFL. He held out on a contract with rumours Essendon were chasing him, he got the contract he wanted and fair enough at the time.
Since then he has been an average footballer, he does a few nice attacking runs a game but goes missing for the rest. We expect more for a player of his calibre. Overall he has been very dissappointing for almost 3 years now and he is in the prime of his career.

He is a massive part of our team being successful, how do we get JJ back to his best?

Playing Half back is out of the question now, as soon as a tag comes his game is over. He's been hit and miss the limited time he has been forward.
Do we drop him - probably can't as there is no one else to replace him plus there are plenty of others that could be dropped from week to week.
Does he need a challenge - as in play midfield. I know he is not a starting in centre midfielder but could this be something to challenge him and hoping it doesnt impact the current midfield group. i don't see it happening.
My choice... stick him on the wing for the rest of the year. He has the attributes to be a great wingman, he would compliment Hunter nicely on the opposite wing which is currently a liability with R.Smith, B.Williams, Lloyd, Dickson all rotating through. If he gets a tag on the wing, then that is less heat on our other mids around the ground.

Whatever it is, something needs fixing with JJ if we want to be a better team.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
dont know if its worth a new thread but i'll put this in here as Bev needs a hard look at it....

Jason Johannissen

By the end of 2016 JJ was the one of the best attacking half backs in the AFL. He held out on a contract with rumours Essendon were chasing him, he got the contract he wanted and fair enough at the time.
Since then he has been an average footballer, he does a few nice attacking runs a game but goes missing for the rest. We expect more for a player of his calibre. Overall he has been very dissappointing for almost 3 years now and he is in the prime of his career.

He is a massive part of our team being successful, how do we get JJ back to his best?

Playing Half back is out of the question now, as soon as a tag comes his game is over. He's been hit and miss the limited time he has been forward.
Do we drop him - probably can't as there is no one else to replace him plus there are plenty of others that could be dropped from week to week.
Does he need a challenge - as in play midfield. I know he is not a starting in centre midfielder but could this be something to challenge him and hoping it doesnt impact the current midfield group. i don't see it happening.
My choice... stick him on the wing for the rest of the year. He has the attributes to be a great wingman, he would compliment Hunter nicely on the opposite wing which is currently a liability with R.Smith, B.Williams, Lloyd, Dickson all rotating through. If he gets a tag on the wing, then that is less heat on our other mids around the ground.

Whatever it is, something needs fixing with JJ if we want to be a better team.
JJ is having a great year. Had a couple of quiet games but has been very good overall.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And yet, despite the wisdom of BF, he was one vote away from winning the B&F in 2017 and 7th in 2018. Everyone has their pet hates in this forum, but it’s what the club leadership thinks, not us, and I don’t think they share your opinion. Like every experienced player yesterday, he played his worst game of the year. But he’s having a good year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I guess the re-signing until 2023 has you shaking your head. He is here to stay and hopefully you can park your views and get on with supporting the coach and Club.

I gave my thoughts on what I thought would happen - And like Ive said until it doesnt just jog on !
Just cause a guy has a contract doesnt mean he wont step away (See Brad Scott at North as one of many examples)

We will miss finals this year, anyones guess as to what happens next year.
So if we do miss next year or have a poor start to the year Ill be the least of your worries with criticism.
You have go to back to 1978 to see a worse fallout (onfield) from a premiership side and we have resigned the coach effectively to 4 more years.

We know only too well from recent "big" and long term signings that they can have load pressure on that signing, not take it off.

And where have I not been supportive ?
I support the club with 4 memberships every year, social club memberships, merchandise, seat upgrades !
I feel sorry for you that you think anyone in power is beyond question !
Thats certainly not how the world I want to live in should work.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
JJ is having a great year. Had a couple of quiet games but has been very good overall.
And yet, despite the wisdom of BF, he was one vote away from winning the B&F in 2017 and 7th in 2018. Everyone has their pet hates in this forum, but it’s what the club leadership thinks, not us, and I don’t think they share your opinion. Like every experienced player yesterday, he played his worst game of the year. But he’s having a good year.

Fair enough, maybe my expectations of him are far too high. But i just don't see him anywhere near his best. I'm not singling him out but he is just so important to us and should be the game breaker we need. He's been ok but I wouldn't say he has won us any games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back