Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

He's infectious, when he kicks a goal he thanks everyone else. When someone else kicks a goal he loves them... well even if it's a point.

There was a story about him last year that at the player review he asked a simple question I have 6 or 8 weeks off (whatever it is these days) he said I'm starting tomorrow what do I need to do to become better in those 6-8 weeks before we hit training and I can make seniors. He was told rest for two weeks then relax til you come back. But the fact a kid would just ask what the hell do I need to be better was impressive. Kid works as hard as say Nick Holland/Jason Taylor in his position but he has a hell of a lot more talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember twice this year our own posters have s**t all over those getting excited about Mitch Lewis.

About 6-8 weeks ago a poster sneered at a whole stack of Hawks fans who were high on Mitch Lewis. Something to the effect ‘imagine being excited by Mitch Lewis’. Hope you feel rightfully stupid now.

I remember also a few of us were saying that possibly one day Lewis could rival the output of Tom Lynch. Boy were we called every version of stupid you could imagine.

Here’s a fun little comparison. Keeping in mind one is a first round draft pick and highly paid free agent. The other is pick 76 and has played a handful of games. Yup not as many goals per game - but not too far off.

FFEF48A5-EA59-42A9-872F-A37CDC5CAB45.jpeg

Deride the Mitchell Lewis bandwagon at your peril. I’m glad he’s making naysaying posters look as silly as the other 17 clubs who let him get to us at pick 76.

Last edited:
Must admit I wasn’t totally convinced about Lewis early on (although I never bagged him - at least I don’t think I did) and thought he’s still young so let’s wait and see. But now, it’s quite clear this kid will have a big future. Reminds me of when Roughy and Buddy started. So exciting times ahead to watch him grow and develop into a star.

If you didn't know where this kid was drafted you'd say 1st Round. Looks every bit a 1st round draft pick in his 3rd season on an AFL list.

The interesting part is where he sits in comparison to other similar type players taken early in drafts around that time.

Paddy McCartin (2014)
Peter Wright (2014)
Josh Schache (2015)
Sam Weideman (2015)
Harry McKay (2015)
Eric Hipwood (2015)
Todd Marshall (2016)

It's funny to me how he's up there with the best of those blokes at the moment, along with Larkey, and both of those guys were taken with the last 2 picks of the 2016 draft.

Just something to keep in mind. This was a 20 year old kid’s 11th game. Against the team sitting in first place.

This kid could be anything.

Against a team sitting in first place, and a potential AA defender no less.

Destroyed Blicvas yesterday. Kicked 3.1 and gave one away.

Blicvas is an AA defender, Lewis has played 11 games. Let that sink in.

What the hell does it want now?!

Destroyed Blicvas yesterday. Kicked 3.1 and gave one away.

Blicvas is an AA defender, Lewis has played 11 games. Let that sink in.

Not to mention Geelong's defence has collectively torn our KPF a new one every time we've played since the end of the home and away in 2008, pretty much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back