List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
Have you got a minute in match so I can rewind to it . His stats including head mAp appear complete

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Im not sure exactly when but the commentators were talking about it. They would have put it back on him when he came off or at a break but his total distance would be affected.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
It's not the list. It hasn't been the list. Look at the premiers over the last few years. None of those sides had a better list than us, they just hit form and had luck with injuries at the pointy end of the season.

We've had significant and obvious selection and gameplan issues for Hinkley's entire tenure.

Yes. We have a spread of talent as good as most sides. I just don't know what players would suit Hinkley's game plan?

We recruit talls, but only play a few of them. Our bomb it on people's heads approach doesn't work. Our play a midget KPF approach fails every time.
We don't appear to have a plan that entails lifting the eyes and spearing a pass in front of a forward leading straight at the ball carrier, because our forwards don't have those leading patterns and because even if we do attempt it our skills are deplorable. We don't have the battalion of pacy short people to attempt a run and gun type of game ala Richmond.

Hardwick would probably get a dozen Aiden Johnson types who we think is barely SANFL level and tell them to run run run all day.

The talent is there, on odd occasions (Cats, Cows, Toast). The consistency and ruthless approach week in, week out is not.

We don't seem to use what we have to best advantage (playing guys in unfamiliar positions, or taking on strange roles).

That is an indictment on both players and coaches.

Is there ANY coach out there who can maximise the results to match the talent pool we have?

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
People can get sucked in all they like about Gray and Boak. But facts are our history connected with them sucks, they are part of our culture of s**tness. Are they good players? Maybe, but maybe they need to be good players elsewhere!

What an absolutely ridiculous position to take. I suppose you think Plugger Lockett and Robert Harvey were s**t players because they never won a thing.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Duursma's GPS fell off during the game. They mentioned it on the broadcast and showed it sitting in the grass.

This didn't happen . Just watched entire match through . Have you any idea how painful that was . Did NOT occur

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
This didn't happen . Just watched entire match through . Have you any idea how painful that was . Did NOT occur

Yes it did. I watch though the Watch AFL international stream it definitely happened because I saw it. They said it was Duursmas GPS but maybe the commentators were wrong.

What an absolutely ridiculous position to take. I suppose you think Plugger Lockett and Robert Harvey were s**t players because they never won a thing.

Are you seriously trying to compare Gray and Boak to Plugger and a Brownlow medalist?

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Are you seriously trying to compare Gray and Boak to Plugger and a Brownlow medalist?

Robbie Gray should have won a Brownlow but that's beside the point. If you prioritise the issues that have plagued this club for the last 10 years, laying blame at either of their feet is ridiculous. They're so far from the problem it's not funny.

Robbie Gray should have won a Brownlow but that's beside the point. If you prioritise the issues that have plagued this club for the last 10 years, laying blame at either of their feet is ridiculous. They're so far from the problem it's not funny.

Come on they are partly culpable. They help set culture and we have a culture of failure.....

If you think they are exempt of everything well that’s why we are in the strife we are in. Richie Vandemberger was a great guy too.

His head got lopped however

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Come on they are partly culpable. They help set culture and we have a culture of failure.....

If you think they are exempt of everything well that’s why we are in the strife we are in. Richie Vandemberger was a great guy too.

If every player on our list was like Boak and R.Gray this group would have a flag by now and we wouldn’t have a problem

Relativity

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port

Yeah nah. Two players, no matter how good, don't make a premiership team. Conversely you can't blame 2 players for out malaise. Bewildering that you would pick these two from a shitshow picnic.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Duursma's GPS fell off during the game. They mentioned it on the broadcast and showed it sitting in the grass.
Bloke will be a star.
He runs so much that even the GPS can't keep up.

So you complain about Boak and Gray being compared to Plugger and Robert Harvey and then you immediately go and compare them to Richie Vandenberg?

So you complain about Boak and Gray being compared to Plugger and Robert Harvey and then you immediately go and compare them to Richie Vandenberg?

Well he was a dependable player made captain that wasn’t up to it. They are closer to him than the before mentioned. Lockett the greatest Full Forward in history.

Well he was a dependable player made captain that wasn’t up to it. They are closer to him than the before mentioned. Lockett the greatest Full Forward in history.

So you'd take Richie Vandenberg and Robert Harvey over Travis Boak and Robbie Gray then? I reckon you'd find yourself alone on that one.

Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The issue I have with our list is that its different people every week that either stand up or fail. The positive to playing experienced players is that you expect to get a baseline standard of performance for near 22 games a season. However our experienced players are just as likely to have a Best on Ground or Worst on Ground as our kids. One week a few of DBJ, Jonas, Amon, Lycett, Wines, S Gray (heck basically the whole squad except for Boak and maybe Robbie) will look a million dollars, the next week the same players look and make the mistakes of a 10 gamer. Its been happening since the 2015 season. I hoped with the departure of Polec, Wingard and Pittard (3 of the worst culprits of the inconsistency) that this would change things up but it hasn’t.

I have no doubt that some of this inconsistency is down to inept coaching, but its more than just that. At some point the players have to take the blame for missing easy kicks and handballs, not kicking to the forwards advantage etc.

With the exception of the 3 first rounders from last year’s draft, I would quietly let the competition know that no player is off limits and see what offers come in.

So you'd take Richie Vandenberg and Robert Harvey over Travis Boak and Robbie Gray then? I reckon you'd find yourself alone on that one.

No I wouldn’t, but I’d be happy to let both these guys go to other clubs to create a whole new culture. They haven’t been able to finish the results and it’s time for new blood to create a new culture.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No I wouldn’t, but I’d be happy to let both these guys go to other clubs to create a whole new culture. They haven’t been able to finish the results and it’s time for new blood to create a new culture.
Boak and Gray have been misused to cover inadequacies in the gameplan. Westhoff, Jonas, Broadbent, Ebert, Sam Gray are my 'Fab 5' of older players that have poor skills, exposed by 6-6-6 rule changes and/or regularly fail to hit the scoreboard. I'd be happy to have all five out of the club end of the season, one way or another.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Our first generation of players (Tredrea, C.Cornes, Francou, Carr, James, Wanganeen, Burgoynes, Dew, Primus, Lade etc) were a golden age in which our ability to perform in finals was rightly questioned. If not for 25 September 2004, if not for S.Burgoyne pressuring Guerra in the final seconds a week before, it would have been a wasted generation. One day and one minute can turn a generation from chokers to champions.

Our second generation (Boak, R.Gray, Westhoff, Wines, Ryder, Dixon, Jonas, Hartlett, Broadbent, Ebert etc) lies at the precipice, much like the first generation did after the 2003 Prelim. The questions are not about choking or about ability, but about hunger and consistency.

FishingRick's argument is not well put, but you cannot ignore the facts- this generation has not delivered. Boak and Robbie are part of that generation. Time is running out for it too.

A generation can fail for a few reasons- 1. ability, 2. hunger, 3. nerve/composure 4. luck. I am of the view, that should this generation fail, history will record that it didn't have the hunger necessary to succeed. Its best is good enough and this has been demonstrated numerous times. But hunger is the key to getting the best out of yourself on a consistent basis. That we don't have and Boak and Robbie are not immune to this harsh but fair criticism.

My point is not new. I questioned this group's hunger after the 2014 Prelim. The next 5 seasons appear to have confirmed my fears. This generation of players don't want it enough to get the best out of themselves regularly enough.

This generation probably has only 1 more year to change its epitaph.

Our first generation of players (Tredrea, C.Cornes, Francou, Carr, James, Wanganeen, Burgoynes, Dew, Primus, Lade etc) were a golden age in which our ability to perform in finals was rightly questioned. If not for 25 September 2004, if not for S.Burgoyne pressuring Guerra in the final seconds a week before, it would have been a wasted generation. One day and one minute can turn a generation from chokers to champions.

Our second generation (Boak, R.Gray, Westhoff, Wines, Ryder, Dixon, Jonas, Hartlett, Broadbent, Ebert etc) lies at the precipice, much like the first generation did after the 2003 Prelim. The questions are not about choking or about ability, but about hunger and consistency.

FishingRick's argument is not well put, but you cannot ignore the facts- this generation has not delivered. Boak and Robbie are part of that generation. Time is running out for it too.

A generation can fail for a few reasons- 1. ability, 2. hunger, 3. nerve/composure 4. luck. I am of the view, that should this generation fail, history will record that it didn't have the hunger necessary to succeed. Its best is good enough and this has been demonstrated numerous times. But hunger is the key to getting the best out of yourself on a consistent basis. That we don't have and Boak and Robbie are not immune to this harsh but fair criticism.

My point is not new. I questioned this group's hunger after the 2014 Prelim. The next 5 seasons appear to have confirmed my fears. This generation of players don't want it enough to get the best out of themselves regularly enough.

This generation probably has only 1 more year to change its epitaph.

Hey, well out for me. Composure biggest problem however.

In addition these guys are like battered spouses and conditioned to walking off heads down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back