Review Round 16, 2019: Box Hill Hawks v Richmond Tigers, 21 July 2019, 2.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks were able to overcome the plucky Dolphins in a wild and windy match down at Frankston Oval last weekend and, in David Mirra's 150th game for the Hawks, return home to host the Tigers in a match that is crucial to the shaping of the top eight. The Tigers sit equal top on 11 wins with the Bombers, two games clear of the third placed Footscray and Williamstown. The Hawks are in fifth position on the ladder, equal on points with Port Melbourne, but two games behind the top four, so a win on Sunday to mark the milestone for David Mirra would be highly appreciated. With five games left in the season (including the forthcoming game against the Tigers), the Hawks need to win as many of the game as possible and hope the teams above them on the ladder start dropping some games.

BOX HILL HAWKS v RICHMOND TIGERS

Box Hill Hawks
B: C. Jiath, K. Brand, D. Mirra
HB: G. Birchall, B. Stratton, T. Miles
C: C. Nash, J. Cousins, I. Smith
HF: J. Gunston, J. Ceglar, D. Minchington
F: J. Ross, J. Roughead, M. Walker
Foll: M. Pittonet, A. Moore, C. Glass
I/C: V. Adducci, N. Boucher, M. Doreian, W. Golds, D. Greaves

Richmond Tigers
B: D. Eggmolesse-Smith, N. Balta, B. Miller
HB: S. Morris, R. Garthwaite, P. Naish
C: L. English, J. Caddy, K. McIntosh
HF: J. Aarts, C. Coleman-Jones, C. Menadue
F: O. Markov, J. Townsend, M. Weller
Foll: T. Nankervis, R. Collier-Dawkins, D. Butler
I/C: W. Coates, D. Coffield, J. Fletcher, B. Grewar, L. Nelson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. We don't have anyone else of his type.
What type is he meant to be? I can’t quite put my finger in it yet, is Walker a small forward with X factor like Cyril? Or a medium in the mould of a Williams and Dixon of years gone by who takes marks and gets most of his goals from set shots?

What type is he meant to be? I can’t quite put my finger in it yet, is Walker a small forward with X factor like Cyril? Or a medium in the mould of a Williams and Dixon of years gone by who takes marks and gets most of his goals from set shots?

The latter. Can do it in the air and on the ground with a bit of X factor. He will take Gunstons spot eventually with a bit of luck even though they aren't like for like.

There is a real similarity to Tony Hall. Maybe I'm being over optimistic, but I'm seeing glimpses.
Spot on
Moves very similar, I thought that from the moment I first saw him play
Here’s hoping he turns out to be that good

You just felt if he could get a run at it, Walks would have a day out at VFL level this season. He’d probably have to have two or three more of those to get a game at AFL level now, but performances like that never hurt!

Box Hill Hawks2.2-145.4-346.6-4212.8-80
Richmond5.5-358.6-5412.7-7914.10-94

BOX HILL HAWKS
Goal Kickers: M. Walker 5, J. Ross 2, V. Adduci, J. Cousins, M. Pittonet, A. Moore, T. Miles
Best Players: T. Miles, D. Mirra, A. Moore, M. Walker, J. Ceglar, C. Glass
RICHMOND
Goal Kickers: O. Markov 4, D. Butler 2, C. Menadue 2, B. Grewar, C. Coleman-Jones, T. Silvestro, T. Nankervis, P. Naish, J. Townsend
Best Players: C. Menadue, R. Garthwaite, P. Naish, J. Townsend, S. Morris, L. English

I agree with Mathew Walker being a similar style of player to Tony Hall. He has taken some strong contested marks, has kicked some long goals and laid some strong tackles and the indications are he is an exciting prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back