Analysis The Clarkson Rebuild Model - A Reason For Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the form of Lewis and O’Brien put doubts in our minds about Patton? The more I see these two up forward the less I want Patton, they seem to work so well together
Get Patton in and it gives us more options, O’Brien has turned into a great swingman. The more we can utilise Timmy’s strengths all around the ground the better we will be for it

Does the form of Lewis and O’Brien put doubts in our minds about Patton? The more I see these two up forward the less I want Patton, they seem to work so well together
No way - absolutely 100% need Patton

Timmy is our answer for CHB. Patton FF, and Lewis CHF.

Our poor key position stocks all of a sudden looking very healthy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The last couple of weeks have shown that he’s definitely more effective up forward. Still very shaky down back. I think we’ll be able to find a decent key back to cover him. He’s now flying for his marks, he has confidence and he’s got defenders scared.

Nope, it just means that instead of scraping the barrel for talls, we suddenly have options and depth.

Good question. I don't think so. O'Brien isn't and won't be a key forward for us. He is one of the few genuine swingmen in the comp. I see him continuing to be used up forward and down back as needs require. That is the versatility that Clarko loves. Expect to continue to see O'Brien, Sicily, and Gunston be used at different ends from week to week. I also reckon Scrimshaw will be trialled up forward at some point, giving us potentially 4 mobile talls who can play at either end. That's a ridiculous amount of versatility and I bet it becomes one of our greatest strengths.

The last couple of weeks have shown that he’s definitely more effective up forward. Still very shaky down back. I think we’ll be able to find a decent key back to cover him. He’s now flying for his marks, he has confidence and he’s got defenders scared.
I think rather the last couple of weeks have shown that now he has the confidence in himself he can be effective either forward or back and Clarko can use him as the game dictates. His confidence grew weekly when playing down back and he finally looked like he felt he belonged. This has translated to a really good last two weeks in the forwardline. His contested marking has been outstanding and he is finally attacking the marking contest.

Agree

Patton is a no from me, unless we have other plans, ie Box Hill backup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis needs a Wingman now most of premiership teams of the last 30 years have had two forwards.

Dunstall - Derm
Franklin - Roughy
Roughy- Gunston
ML - ?

Obviously if it’s the deal that gets cogs over the line then I’m more than happy for him to come across and chew up abit of the cap. If not I’m still not sold
If Timmy goes back, then I can maybe see the merit in two key forwards. He can pinch hit in the ruck with relieves TOB

Looking at the draws for the next few weeks, we’re in this up to our eyeballs. We have to Brisbane and GWS, but our destiny is absolutely in our own hands.

The teams between 6-10 seem to play each other a lot, so it’s not a matter of whether ‘results fall our way’. As long as we win we’re going to make it.

Now let’s see if we can keep this form up. I reckon a lot of teams would be nervous to play us in finals.

Looking at the draws for the next few weeks, we’re in this up to our eyeballs. We have to Brisbane and GWS, but our destiny is absolutely in our own hands.

The teams between 6-10 seem to play each other a lot, so it’s not a matter of whether ‘results fall our way’. As long as we win we’re going to make it.

Now let’s see if we can keep this form up. I reckon a lot of teams would be nervous to play us in finals.
Every game is going to be tough, but we have the list to get this done.

Player Timmy Player
Player Lewis Patton

Tim & Mitch are mobile enough to accomodate Clarko’s favourite setup with 3 talls.
Patton obviously has to make it to the club & make it on the field but he will be the key to the next flag if healthy.

Everyone is looking to brand a Fwd/ruck the next Hale but if you take into account the versatility of the 3 talls to all play that role & the marking power between them alone, there is a case for a multi look triangle game style to mix & match during a game/quarter pending match ups, running patterns to expose an identified weekend & work load v time on ground.

In an ideal world you want them all on the field swallowing everything that comes near them for a shot on goal; minimal rotations off the bench & resting at FF for the 3 of them allows more midfield rotation management as well as our other marking machine BB to also get amongst it.

Cogs will be a great get if it comes off but #pattonisthetarget will get us our next flag

I just had a listen to the weekly edition of Marc McGowan's podcast 'Trends' (it is a very good footy podcast by the way) and this weeks episode was an interview with an ex-rugby player Ben Darwin who now works as a consultant in team cohesion for sporting organisations. One of the key things that Ben's research has found is that teams with stable governance and organised systems (Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney) tend to be far more successful than clubs that are chaotic and constantly trying to change things (Carlton, Gold Coast and St Kilda). I think most of us understand how important Clarko has been for our club in setting up this exact environment, and this is largely why we have enjoyed so much success.

The most interesting thing I took out of the interview though, was Ben's insistance that player's understanding of each other is one of the most important factors in determining performance. He talks about how players who have amazing understanding of each other can look very good even if they are not very talented, likewise, talented players with low understanding can look very poor.

While I was listening I couldn't help but think about our recruitment of TOM and JOM and our pursuit of Cogs. Clarkson knows the importance of having a great understanding of your teammates, and I'm thinking that his pursuit of a midfield who all played together as juniors is perhaps by design. It makes sense that bringing three different players together at a new club has a far greater chance of success if they already have a great understanding of each other from previous experiences. It would also accelerate the time it would take the team to seriously challenge for a flag again, because it bypasses the time required to build new relationships.

For anyone who is interested in the topic, I encourage you to go and listen to the podcast and let me know what you think. Do you think it is just a coincidence that these three midfielders all played for the same team as juniors and we are simply targetting talent alone? Or is this another masterstroke by Clarkson, designed to have us challenging again in a very short time?

Got to say I am absolutely loving the TOB/Mitch Lewis forward-line combination. Both blokes can take a ripper grab, but they also seem to have some pretty decent on-field chemistry. When I say that I mean, you don't generally see them spoiling or colliding with each other in marking contests. You can see that one of them is trying to hold their position deep while the other takes up front space.

TOB starting to make a nice looking CHF, and Mitch Lewis starting to make a pretty decent FF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back