Football Related Random Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

So I'm assuming with our 3rd jumper, the AFL has told us we need a certain amount of white in it. Is this true? If so, anyone know if we're petitioning for its removal?
I want this years Indigenous Guernsey back in play more often!
It was a beauty and just looked fantastic on tv!
Big hats off to the designer there!

Most teams just seem to wear their white shorts now, rather than a predominantly white Guernsey.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
God there are some feral North supporters. I know every club has them, but their board just really lacks some class atm.

I know I am bias and we probably don't have the poster numbers of some other clubs, but I really feel like the Lions board (in comparison to all the other club boards) is one of the more balanced, well run and high quality club boards in bigfooty atm.

The mods here do a great job of keeping our club board on the straight and narrow.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Been accused of being a bandwagoner at work today because I come in with a Lions jacket on - "only wear it when doing well" - FMD I've been a member since 1998 and a supporter longer than that, I was at the first Bears game!

Don't wear jacket much to work as it's only cold enough a month or 2 per year in great state of QLD!

Been accused of being a bandwagoner at work today because I come in with a Lions jacket on - "only wear it when doing well" - FMD I've been a member since 1998 and a supporter longer than that, I was at the first Bears game!

Don't wear jacket much to work as it's only cold enough a month or 2 per year in great state of QLD!
Quite the opposite for me!
I have been wearing my Lions membership hat to work (Builder) every day for the last 11 or 12 years and this year, for some reason, I haven’t?
Go figure!

Never wear that hat again mate infact throw it out it may be bad luck.
The one that I wore for probably 3 or 4 years straight up until pre-season this year I took to a pre-season training session in January this year and at the end of training all of the boys come over and signed the grungy old thing for me and I have never put it on my head since!
Every single one of them commented on how old it was but thanked me for the support and signed away!
Even Hodgey!
So, NO! I will not be throwing it away!

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Terry Wallace on SEN saying that clubs should approach David Noble for a senior coaching position. Shut up Terry, we need him at the Lions! Scary thing is that if he was interested, he would definitely have the blessing of Fages.
I think that Kangas keep Shaw, Saints appoint Scott and hoping for Vossy to get a second chance at Carlton.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Terry Wallace on SEN saying that clubs should approach David Noble for a senior coaching position. Shut up Terry, we need him at the Lions! Scary thing is that if he was interested, he would definitely have the blessing of Fages.
I think that Kangas keep Shaw, Saints appoint Scott and hoping for Vossy to get a second chance at Carlton.
One thing that gives me some comfort is that he’s in the middle of renovating or recently renovated a property in Mt Tambourine that he speaks highly of some hoping he’s fairly settled.

The funny thing is, that all 3 interim coaches are/or may, press pretty good claims for the jobs?
Both Teague and Shaw are doing a very good job so far and Ratten started very well on the weekend!

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
The funny thing is, that all 3 interim coaches are/or may, press pretty good claims for the jobs?
Both Teague and Shaw are doing a very good job so far and Ratten started very well on the weekend!

I’d love to see Ratten coach again. Think he was pretty harshly done by and deserves another gig. Also spent some time at Hawthorn, which is clearly regarded as the best system in the AFL when it comes to grooming and improving coaches.

I know that Carlton have backed away from the no training wheels comment, but think Teague will find it the most difficult to get the job. In saying that, it seems like he has put his best foot forward.

Reece Shaw almost seems like a lock and is a good operator. Thought he showed some class when discussing the free kick incident in his press conference.

All in all I don’t really care, as long as they stay away from anyone working at the Lions a especially David Noble!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
A lot of you folk outside of Victoria may not know who Arthur Wilson is, but from my perspective, he is as close to a heartbeat of the club as you could get (at least from the Fitzroy side of the merger). Arthur is the gentleman that conducts tours of the Lions Museum at Docklands and will even give you a tour outside of organised tours such is his commitment to the club.

As for those in Victoria, you've probably met the great man at any one of our functions and I've gotten to know him really well since first meeting Arthur at Lions Hunters function sometime in the 80's as a kid at Princess Park and to this day he remembers everyone by name and knows everything about the Lions.

If you have the time, have a read of this recent article released by the club:

Honouring a true Lions treasure

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I just listened to an interesting Podcast on afl.com- Trends with Marc McGowan, talking with Ben Darwin about what makes teams successful.

UNDERSTANDING why a team succeeds is Ben Darwin's business these days.

The former Wallabies rugby representative is the co-founder of Gain Line Analytics, which has scoured the world's sporting competitions to figure out why some teams win and others don't.

What they've found is that clubs are not placing enough importance on the understanding between athletes, their roles and the system they play in.

Darwin joins AFL.com.au podcast Trends this week to discuss his philosophies on sporting success.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-24/listen-three-teams-eight-flags-one-key-ingredient

Basically he says that the most important ingredient by far in successful sporting teams all over the world is stability and not just off field, the more you play with your team mates the more cohesive you get and success follows, you need less chaos with your team lineup for long term success.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I just listened to an interesting Podcast on afl.com- Trends with Marc McGowan, talking with Ben Darwin about what makes teams successful.

UNDERSTANDING why a team succeeds is Ben Darwin's business these days.

The former Wallabies rugby representative is the co-founder of Gain Line Analytics, which has scoured the world's sporting competitions to figure out why some teams win and others don't.

What they've found is that clubs are not placing enough importance on the understanding between athletes, their roles and the system they play in.

Darwin joins AFL.com.au podcast Trends this week to discuss his philosophies on sporting success.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-24/listen-three-teams-eight-flags-one-key-ingredient

Basically he says that the most important ingredient by far in successful sporting teams all over the world is stability and not just off field, the more you play with your team mates the more cohesive you get and success follows, you need less chaos with your team lineup for long term success.
I found his comments in regards to the AFL as a competition, compared to the rest of the world very interesting.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the way home from work I listened to a podcast featuring Rayner n Witho. Witho just bought a house and Rayner is crashing there. Just out of curiosity do we know who else is living with other players. I think McClug n Berry n his gf are living together. Anyone know who else?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the way home from work I listened to a podcast featuring Rayner n Witho. Witho just bought a house and Rayner is crashing there. Just out of curiosity do we know who else is living with other players. I think McClug n Berry n his gf are living together. Anyone know who else?
Bailey and Joyce live with McStay.

Yes, yes there was a Hemsworth at the game last night. I was more impressed by Jack Payne standing next to Thor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back