Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

IMG_20190717_132640.jpg

Australia has the best public health in the world. Even compression socks are red and the white
sending best wishes - hopefully soon you do not need use of the public health system.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Swans have announced a membership total of 61,671 which is a new club record

Given they’ve been so quiet on it this year, I had figured it would have gone down...

Pretty surprised...

(Somewhat sceptical lol)

GWS have somehow managed to get to 30k themselves. I'd love to see how these clubs actually account for these numbers. What kind of package actually counts as a membership?
Perhaps people only wanting access to finals tickets?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
GWS have somehow managed to get to 30k themselves. I'd love to see how these clubs actually account for these numbers. What kind of package actually counts as a membership?

“...to be counted as a member an individual must have a name, contact details, have contributed $50 to the club and received a membership pack. The official counts also include multiple memberships held by an individual. Pet memberships are not counted but the AFL confirmed babies and toddlers are included.”

I’d love to see the breakdown. If I were to guess, I would guess that we sold more 3 game memberships than last season (if you buy 2 it counts as 2).

GWS would sell a lot of three game passes, particularly in Canberra given they have 3 games there.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
GWS have over 50% of their members on 1 or 2 game memberships. Not the most sustainable model

What's your source on that?

That would make these spruiking comments by Dave Matthews ring somewhat hollow:

“To hit 30,000 members in just our eighth season in the AFL illustrates our growth and the connection we have with our communities.

Sydney is the most competitive sporting market in the world so to reach this milestone so quickly – quicker than any other club at the elite level – is something the club, the code and our members can be proud of.

To think that we started less than a decade ago with no team name, no colours, no staff and no players; to be where we are today is phenomenal."

So 90,000 AFL members in a non traditional AFL state.

We are keeping the TV rights dollars up & it shows why tge competition need two teams in NSW in order to keep 4 unviable Vic clubs artificially afloat.

Yep will probably be a 3rd team one day

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
But no more dodgy than every other club

*cough* Hawthorn *cough*

I struggle to believe their membership numbers seeing some of their home crowds at the MCG, especially against non-Victorian sides.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
What's your source on that?

That would make these spruiking comments by Dave Matthews ring somewhat hollow:

“To hit 30,000 members in just our eighth season in the AFL illustrates our growth and the connection we have with our communities.

Sydney is the most competitive sporting market in the world so to reach this milestone so quickly – quicker than any other club at the elite level – is something the club, the code and our members can be proud of.

To think that we started less than a decade ago with no team name, no colours, no staff and no players; to be where we are today is phenomenal."

That's my mistake. I read a graphic on their website incorrectly and mistook length of membership for amount of games, the least amount of games a Sydney based GWS member can opt for is a 4 game package. Nevertheless the finances of their membership numbers show they have always had a high number of 4 game memberships purchased either in Sydney or in the ACT. They need to convert more of the 4 game packages into 8 and 11 game packages over time so they become self supporting.

Regardless 30,000 members whichever way you cut it up is an impressive number.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
What would the membership numbers for us and GWS be like if Buddy had gone to the Giants?

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
they would have lance snr and jescinta and we wouldn't

You don’t think he’s been a factor in our membership numbers being what they are?

Back