Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

...imo it needs to come from the club he maintains he follows. He won't care what the AFL says but he will if his own club shows disgust in him and turns their back on him.

Good to see on AFL360 they replayed the free to McInerney like a dozen times. :rolleyes:

You reckon they analysed or even brought up once the Ben Brown free kick a couple of minutes earlier? Nope.

Love how Victorian football media push certain narratives as if other elements never occurred.

Good to see on AFL360 they replayed the free to McInerney like a dozen times. :rolleyes:

You reckon they analysed or even brought up once the Ben Brown free kick a couple of minutes earlier? Nope.

Love how Victorian football media push certain narratives as if other elements never occurred.

And the scroll across the bottom saying it cost them the game. Right at the end of On the Couch Healy, of all people, showed Brown's free & demanded clarification of both.

Typical Murdoch - smear, and then pretend contrition.

Lions strike it Rich (Ryan Lester)
Brisbane’s Daniel Rich will play his 200th AFL game against North Melbourne on Saturday night. Teammate Ryan Lester writes about the role he plays as a delegate with the AFLPA, his evolution as a player and his reputation as a prankster at the Lions.

I remember arriving in Brisbane after the 2010 draft. At the time, Daniel Rich was the new up and coming face of the club. With stars like Simon Black and Jonathan Brown coming to the latter part of their careers, ‘Richy’ along with Jack Redden and Tom Rockliff were seen as the new breed taking the club forward.

Naturally, I immediately looked up to these guys and over the past nine years I have been lucky enough to call them all close mates. Over this period, a number of our young guns have changed clubs for a variety of reasons, leaving Richy as our longest serving and most loyal player. During the course of his career he’s played an important role for our club off the field, most notably as a long-serving delegate of the AFL Players’ Association.

The role he has acting as a conduit between the players, club and AFLPA is so important and Richy embraces it. He is a great delegate for our club, and is no doubt held in high esteem among the AFL playing group. He’s the type of guy who always makes an effort to follow up and find out the answers to any questions we might have to make sure we’re getting the best possible representation and support.

The work he has done for us and the type of person he is, is part of the reason we’re all so happy to see him playing such great football in 2019. As a player he’s always had the ability to change a game in a matter of moments with his long left foot. He’s been doing it ever since he took home the Rising Star award in 2009.

However this year Richy has gone to another level with his consistent high performances putting him in All Australian contention. He is known for his left foot, but as a club we respect him more for his toughness and courage. He’s one of our best!

Sometimes when you are around a football club for a significant period of time you need a change-up. For Richy, that coincided with ‘Fages’ (Brisbane coach Chris Fagan) coming on board. Over the last three years, he has found himself as a dangerous half-back, and no doubt he is more comfortable in himself as a person. I know that people keep saying he’s the only surviving member of the Lions’ 2009 finals campaign and that loyalty is unheralded – hopefully we can give him another shot at it this year!
View attachment 713655

Away from the field, Daniel Rich has a couple of personalities. He’s a bit of a joker around the club. Whenever we are on a bus interstate, you can guarantee he is sitting up the back with Dayne Zorko. Together they tease and harass many players but mainly Stef Martin, and often get the better of him!

You could say he’s a man of many talents. He’s probably the best golfer, tennis player and surfer at the club. But, his most notable feature is that he’s a family man who shows great care for others, and has never let ego get in the way. He loves spending time with his son Xander and wife Lauren, and is a great friend to many. Richy has always helped put smiles on kids faces at football clinics, hospital visits and various events around the club. The long blonde locks make him a crowd favourite!

We’ve become a close-knit family up here in Brisbane and post both our football careers, I imagine we will remain in Queensland. Anytime we are driving to the airport or an off-site venue, Richy and I will carpool.

Along with ‘Zorks’, the three of us have seen some leaner times at the club and have always been there for each other off the field. This has only made us closer, and more appreciative of the wins on the field and the good times spent together off it. Now that we’re seeing some good improvement on and off the field as a club, it presents a nice time to reflect on what we’ve been through and how far we’ve come and Richy’s milestone allows us to do that.

Good luck in your 200th!
View attachment 713654

Worth noting if you missed it that Ryan Lester wrote this article.

AFL have now come out and said the Ben Brown free was wrong too. A little validation there, which is nice, but they could have done it earlier. I suppose there wouldn't have been the same amount of outrage and discussion generated if they had done it at the same time they announced the Oscar free was wrong. Jerks.

AFL have now come out and said the Ben Brown free was wrong too. A little validation there, which is nice, but they could have done it earlier. I suppose there wouldn't have been the same amount of outrage and discussion generated if they had done it at the same time they announced the Oscar free was wrong. Jerks.

Lol I’m off to north’s board for a read. After the vitriol spewed about big o and/or the cheat goal that WON the game I’m expecting contrite apologies

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume no roo supporter has seen the article because it wasn't yet poste in their umpire abuts thread, i mean autopsy thread. I helped them by posting and including the link (thanks ManeMan)

Might, hopefully, reduce the umpire and Big O vitriol.

I assume no roo supporter has seen the article because it wasn't yet poste in their umpire abuts thread, i mean autopsy thread. I helped them by posting and including the link (thanks ManeMan)

Might, hopefully, reduce the umpire and Big O vitriol.
I wonder if they'll delete your post just like all the others? All for balance of course ;)

I wonder if they'll delete your post just like all the others? All for balance of course ;)

It made it through the first five minutes, but no further action on the board. I did aim for non offensive, but that of course is in the eye of the beholder. So I think the wrong free kick against BigO/goal, as per their poor third quarter being the umpires fault, everything hodge and Zorko, will simply feed into the conspiracy theory for a few norths supporters.

Both bits of info should have been released at the same time, as it would have still had us with the win.

We've made it, lads. Betoota has us covered.

In the greatest endorsement of the Brisbane Lions premiership credentials yet, Bob Katter has donned the team’s scarf today.

With the Lions sitting 2nd on the ladder and all but assured of playing finals football, it can be confirmed that Victorian Football does exist in the Sunshine State again.

The existence of the game comes for the first time since mid 2005, after the likes of Brendan Fevola and alleged serial golf cheat Jason Akermanis were leading the maroon, blue and gold around the park.

Slapping on the scarf for the first time in recent memory, Bob confirmed, rather reluctantly that he would be getting behind the team ahead of their finals charge.

“Good luck to the Lions,” said Bob at the airport this morning.

“I’m not calling em (sic) the Brisbane Lions, because they should be the Queensland Lions, it’s a classic case of Brisbane acting like it is Queensland and not a part of it,” said the fired up MP for Kennedy.

“Now the Lions, who I am happy to get around, are playing well, I watched them on the tele the other night, and this state of Queensland should unite behind them,” said the Cowboys fan who is slowly coming to terms with the fact that’s not happening for the Rugby League team this year.

“Until they lose obviously. But until then I’m on the Lion train.”

Bob then continued to speak at the press for another 20 minutes or so before storming off in a huff about something.

More to come.

Always wondered how these things work. Say his mate buys two tickets to a game, how is identified and entry to the ground prohibited?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good question...I believe, and could be wrong, Ticketmaster has introduced at the G, Marvel and Optus Stadium a photo recognition program called "Blink Identity" where it takes a photo at point of entry.. Originally the idea was to stop ticket scalping but has been pushed to become more a security tool...

Edit...Yep.. found it..

Last edited:
Always wondered how these things work. Say his mate buys two tickets to a game, how is identified and entry to the ground prohibited?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just says he's banned from becoming a member. I don't think there's any real way for the team to crack down on actual attendance given your example, or someone wandering up to the gate and paying cash.

Luke Hodge was great on The Roar Deal today, do yourself a favor and have a listen.

Yep, was interesting hearing that ?Zorko made mention of the players celebrating the win as if it was a finals win and were getting a bit carried away and Hodge's take was that it was all for Rich.

Yep, was interesting hearing that ?Zorko made mention of the players celebrating the win as if it was a finals win and were getting a bit carried away and Hodge's take was that it was all for Rich.

Brad Sewell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back