Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats Mitch Lewis :D :D :D. In 2016 after trading in Tom Mitchell + Jaegar O'Meara and getting Ricky Henderson as a DFA, with pick 74 and 76 the club selected Harry Morrison and Mitchell Lewis.

Guess what, both Harry and Mitch Lewis have NAB rising star nomination :) . Stay humble and keep working hard Mitch Lewis :) .
Kane Cornes here: None of those guys will be any good

He looks good doesn't he. I reckon he has a slight swagger - which is what you need in a forward. Also, seems to have the footy smarts and work ethic.

My question. Does anyone know what the knock on him as a junior was? Why he got to 76 in the draft? And what do people think his weaknesses are now?

Last edited:
Love this one. Find space, trust team mates.

I know this isn't the Breust thread but gee wiz it's impressive how Breust keeps his feet all the time. If he goes down in that tackle, that goal doesn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is now also putting together a very strong season when compared to other Rising Star eligible players:

Ranked 10th in Contested Marks Per Game ● Ranked 8th in Marks Inside 50 Per Game
● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Goals ● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Hitouts
● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Contested Marks ● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Marks Inside 50
● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Marks Per Game ● Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Goals Per Game
● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Hitouts Per Game ● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game
● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game ● Ranked 10th among rising stars in One Percenters Per Game
● Ranked 9th among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game

The amazing part is the ranking for total contested marks and total marks inside 50, considering he has played 9 games and is up against blokes that have played the full allotment of games.

He could kick 4 goals a week for the rest of the season and not get a vote. He isnt a midfielder and he wasnt a top 5 draft pick.

If someone like Carey is on the committee he would get a couple of votes.

with 1.7 goals a game, Lewis has our best goal to game average this season, the last 2 weeks with 3 goals a pop and couldve had more if he didnt miss a sitter and give off 1 to Worpel, killing it, good to see him get a couple of games in 2018 to give him something to work hard for in the pre-season, now he is reaping the rewards of hard work.

Probably his interest in footy. I believe he was more focused on other sports.
I recall someone posting that he was frequently played in the ruck and was not really outstanding. If he was viewed by other clubs as a ruck, then not surprising he fell though to 76.

I still think the club was taking the p1ss and drafted him to salve the pain of trading out Mitch and Lewis, and we got lucky.

has had a breakout year so far at Box Hill

2017 - 13 games with 10 goals and in the bests 1 time
2018 - 12 games with 30 goals and in the bests 6 times* so far (plus 2 competent games of AFL which went goaless)

hopefully he can keep improving and he might get some more opportunities at the AFL level in 2019, has stepped up to the quality of the second tier competition and performed very well, im hoping he can make another step up in 2019 to start performing at the top level.

a year later and he has officially made the step up to the AFL level and some :thumbsu:

grats on the Rising Star Nomination.

a year later and he has officially made the step up to the AFL level and some :thumbsu:

grats on the Rising Star Nomination.

I just find it funny how he's carried the three goal form into the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back