2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brodie Kemp just did his ACL, was rated on the cusp of the top 5 before that. If we don't trade the Collingwood pick, would you take him knowing he would take a couple of seasons to get back to 100%?

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Brodie Kemp just did his ACL, was rated on the cusp of the top 5 before that. If we don't trade the Collingwood pick, would you take him knowing he would take a couple of seasons to get back to 100%?
I know nothing about him, but he could be worth the risk if he's rated so highly.

Surely we'd have better luck with such a draftee after punting on Callum Bartlett in similar circumstances, which ultimately didn't pay off.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know nothing about him, but he could be worth the risk if he's rated so highly.

Surely we'd have better luck with such a draftee after punting on Callum Bartlett in similar circumstances, which ultimately didn't pay off.

Skinner would be a more recent example although he wasn't a highly rated draft prospect before the injury.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Skinner would be a more recent example although he wasn't a highly rated draft prospect before the injury.
Yeah, I thought of Skinner, but as you pointed out, was thinking of a highly rated draft prospect as Bartlett was from memory, although maybe not as high as this Kemp lad.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, I thought of Skinner, but as you pointed out, was thinking of a highly rated draft prospect as Bartlett was from memory, although maybe not as high as this Kemp lad.

True Skinner was a free hit late in the draft but in terms of our club being able to reduce the likelihood of another ACL it's probably the best example.

Can't recall any other ACLs at our club for a while.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Would take Kemp in a heartbeat if he slipped to our 1st selection even with the ACL, we have the best medical/rehab team in the business, highly unlikely to slip that far though.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
So it's been confirmed as an ACL?

I was asking yesterday and there hadn't been an update yet.

I think Kemp was possibly viewed as a top 5 to 10 prospect, but if he had played predominately midfield for the rest of the season at NAB league, he probably pushed himself in to the top 5.

The biggest problem for Kemp is that there are so few decent tall forwards or backs in the NAB league this year, he was predominantly playing a KPP role.

Skinner was rated pretty high before his ACL in Vic Countries second game of the U18 Champs. He was playing in a pretty stacked Vic country side. He started the first game with in defence with Weitering and had a good game. Did his ACL early in the second quarter of the second game.

Would take Kemp in a heartbeat if he slipped to our 1st selection even with the ACL, we have the best medical/rehab team in the business, highly unlikely to slip that far though.
I'm not sure if Kemp is a full time midfielder, a mid forward in the Charlie Curnow mold, or more of a genuine utility. If the Lions recruiters view Kemp as a Curnow type, I'd take him every day of the week.

Would puts pressure on Rayner, Toby Wooller and Connor McFadyen who would all be expected to play a similar role.

What will be interesting is which team or teams will have the patience to draft a player they likely won't play in his first year of football.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I posted this in the Who is playing for their careers, 2019 edition thread. Just want to move the post here as a point of discussion.

We currently hold picks 15, 19, 35, 44 and 53 as picks worth points.

There are two potential academy kids rated as first round prospects.

Listening to a podcast yesterday, they were discussing one key aspect to consider about trading picks is understanding where the different tiers in the draft sit.

According to the podcast, the first round talent this year only goes to pick 16, and two of those are academy tied kids. The second round talent only extends to pick 32, which includes another 3 academy & FS tied kids.

So if you're wanting to trade up, you should be looking at trading in to the top 14 picks. And if you hold second round picks, you want them inside the first 27 picks. Anything after, and you might consider trading back or using those picks to help trade up.

Looking at the kids available from pick 33 back, they're all similar sub 178cm small forwards or mid forwards of the same calibre as our top academy kids in Keidean Coleman and Noah Cumberland. Coleman and Cumberland are both considered a bit more raw, but are more athletically gifted and taller at 181cm and 183cm respectively. I know who I'd rather have.

Tom Green for GWS is potentially a top 3 to 5 talent. GWS currently hold Essendon's and their own picks. It will be extremely difficult for GWS to trade up in to a top 3 position to get a pick in before a bid on Green. There is every possibility that GWS stand pat, and pay for Green with their first pick, and use their second pick on a draft prospect.

The one caveat for GWS, is if they target a ruck, and it looks like Luke Jackson who is the best ruck in the draft is not projected as a first round pick, GWS might trade their second first round pick to move back a little and pick up two picks in the second round.

As their picks stand, GWS hold picks 12, 13 and 49. I would definitely consider trading 19 and 35 for 13 and 49.

The only problem is, in this draft, Luke Jackson is considered a top 10 talent and could realistically be picked in the first 16 picks, because the draft is that shallow. There is a genuine bias against picking rucks early, but that has to be weighed up against the talent available.

The second academy kid is Liam Henry, NGA academy tied to Fremantle, who is rated in that 10 to 16 range.

Fremantle currently hold pick 26, which can match a bid at pick 20 without deficit. Their next pick is in the 80's. So Fremantle might consider trading pick 26 for pick 35 and 48 as it gives them another 180 odd points to match a higher bid, up to pick 15.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
If you're interested in List Management and Draft types of podcasts, it's worth giving the Lystics AFL podcast a listen.

They have a slightly different take on looking at the draft pool, in that they watch the games, and look at the statistics, but also try and include biometrics and AFL player current and future trends in their rankings.

They released the third of their U18 Championships and Draft podcast yesterday. They do their rankings a little different as they set tiers. Players worth a top 3 pick in the draft, players worth a top 10 pick in the draft, first round talent, second round talent, etc.

They also primarily use the Under 18 Champs, and just the players who played in the Champs, as their pool.

So their Draft Board looks like this.

Top 3 Talent
Noah Anderson
Matt Rowell

Top 10 Talent
Tom Green (GWS Academy)
Will Gould
Hayden Young
Luke Jackson
Dylan Stephens

First Round Talent
Lachlan Ash
Caleb Serong
Deven Robertson
Brodie Kemp
Liam Henry (Fremantle NGA)
Jeremy Sharp
Harry Schoenberg
Sam Flanders
Cameron Taheny

Second Round Talent
Mitch O'Neill
Trent Rivers
Will Day
Dylan Williams
Josh Worrell
Finn Maginess (Hawthorn FS)
Fischer McAsey
Ned Cahill
Cody Weightman
Emerson Jeka (Bulldogs NGA)
Trent Bianco
Kysaiah Pickett
Elijah Taylor
Jackson Mead (Port FS)
Dyson Hilder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If you're interested in List Management and Draft types of podcasts, it's worth giving the Lystics AFL podcast a listen.

They have a slightly different take on looking at the draft pool, in that they watch the games, and look at the statistics, but also try and include biometrics and AFL player current and future trends in their rankings.

They released the third of their U18 Championships and Draft podcast yesterday. They do their rankings a little different as they set tiers. Players worth a top 3 pick in the draft, players worth a top 10 pick in the draft, first round talent, second round talent, etc.

They also primarily use the Under 18 Champs, and just the players who played in the Champs, as their pool.

So their Draft Board looks like this.

Top 3 Talent
Noah Anderson
Matt Rowell

Top 10 Talent
Tom Green (GWS Academy)
Will Gould
Hayden Young
Luke Jackson
Dylan Stephens

First Round Talent
Lachlan Ash
Caleb Serong
Deven Robertson
Brodie Kemp
Liam Henry (Fremantle NGA)
Jeremy Sharp
Harry Schoenberg
Sam Flanders
Cameron Taheny

Second Round Talent
Mitch O'Neill
Trent Rivers
Will Day
Dylan Williams
Josh Worrell
Finn Maginess (Hawthorn FS)
Fischer McAsey
Ned Cahill
Cody Weightman
Emerson Jeka (Bulldogs NGA)
Trent Bianco
Kysaiah Pickett
Elijah Taylor
Jackson Mead (Port FS)
Dyson Hilder
Been taking a bit more interest of late in this years draft class, I've been reading a lot of the profiles of the players although I have only watched highlights and no full games which can be fraught with danger when assessing talent. The ones I like the sound of for us and that may be available with our late 1st early 2nd rounders are Trent Rivers, Elijah Taylor, Harry Schoenberg and Trent Bianco.

The dream pickup would be an elite mid or Lachlan Ash/Hayden Young if we could somehow trade up that far, maybe offer next years 1st rounder as part of the trade.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Been taking a bit more interest of late in this years draft class, I've been reading a lot of the profiles of the players although I have only watched highlights and no full games which can be fraught with danger when assessing talent. The ones I like the sound of for us and that may be available with our late 1st early 2nd rounders are Trent Rivers, Elijah Taylor, Harry Schoenberg and Trent Bianco.

The dream pickup would be an elite mid or Lachlan Ash/Hayden Young if we could somehow trade up that far, maybe offer next years 1st rounder as part of the trade.
I have Will Gould and Dylan Stephens at the top of my list, as they’re the most likely to slide from the top tier.

Then I have Luke Jackson.

If we have a pick outside the top 16 I like Mitch O’Neill and Trent Bianco, even though both are undersized, I believe both have less chance at busting and both are willing to put their bodies on the line and go in to a contest.

Rivers is interesting. Is he close to Jarrod Berry in terms of midfield potential?

I look at Rivers and wonder if he has more potential than Starcevich. He finds the ball a lot more, but doesn’t have Starcevich’s speed.

I wonder if we’re better off trying Tom Berry, Starcevich and Bailey out as wingers, and look for players in different positions.

I share the same concerns with Elijah Taylor as I do with Jeremy Sharp. Both are extremely talented by position, and both are very outside and unlikely to put their body on the line.

As for Schoenberg, I don’t see him as being an upgrade on either Tom Joyce or Corey Lyons.

LionCub29

Senior List
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have you seen much of Elijah Taylor?
[/QUOTE]
i haven’t Briztoon but he clearly has come on a fair bit this year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I like the idea of another ruck man who is also a mid fielder like Stef rather than a stagnant beanpole. If Jackson is this type and has potential I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him.
Just going to move the discussion to the Draft thread.

Will try and find some of the write ups for Jackson.

13. LUKE JACKSON

Clubs: East Fremantle/Western Australia

Position: Ruck

Size: 198cm, 94kg

Bio: The ruckman came into the Under 18 Championships neck and neck with Nick Bryan to claim the mantle of the No. 1 big man in the competition. And Jackson’s standout carnival meant not only was he selected in the All-Australian squad, but he appears likely to be the first ruck selected by a club. Fox Footy’s Ben Dixon declared he played in a similar fashion to Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy, given his good follow-up around the ground. No player had more hit-outs during the carnival, with Jackson dominating the hit-outs to advantage.

#32 Luke Jackson
The runner-up in this year’s Larke Medal, Jackson showed why he is considered to be the best ruckman in this year’s draft pool. He accumulated 19 possessions, won 37 hitouts, five clearances, recorded five inside 50s, took three marks and laid two tackles to be one of the most influential players for Western Australia. His follow-up work and ability to cover the ground are elite for a ruckman his age.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So it's been confirmed as an ACL?

I was asking yesterday and there hadn't been an update yet.

I think Kemp was possibly viewed as a top 5 to 10 prospect, but if he had played predominately midfield for the rest of the season at NAB league, he probably pushed himself in to the top 5.

The biggest problem for Kemp is that there are so few decent tall forwards or backs in the NAB league this year, he was predominantly playing a KPP role.

Skinner was rated pretty high before his ACL in Vic Countries second game of the U18 Champs. He was playing in a pretty stacked Vic country side. He started the first game with in defence with Weitering and had a good game. Did his ACL early in the second quarter of the second game.

I'm not sure if Kemp is a full time midfielder, a mid forward in the Charlie Curnow mold, or more of a genuine utility. If the Lions recruiters view Kemp as a Curnow type, I'd take him every day of the week.

Would puts pressure on Rayner, Toby Wooller and Connor McFadyen who would all be expected to play a similar role.

What will be interesting is which team or teams will have the patience to draft a player they likely won't play in his first year of football.

I didn’t know Sam did an ACL before we selected him. That means he done it three times then? One pre draft, one the training session before he was suppose to debut and and then the most recent one. Wow that boy has resilience.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn’t know Sam did an ACL before we selected him. That means he done it three times then? One pre draft, one the training session before he was suppose to debut and and then the most recent one. Wow that boy has resilience.

The last one was in his opposite leg too I believe?
First 2 in the left and the last one in the Right!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Yep, that’s why he slid. Was viewed as a late first, early second round pick.

Same draft and Mathieson was considered a first round pick in the 10 to 20 range. Showed up to the combine out of shape and ran a 13 beep. That saw recruiters question his dedication and he slid as well.

The last one was in his opposite leg too I believe?
First 2 in the left and the last one in the Right!
Yep. Pretty sure the physio from Victoria who shared some of the work he had written here, commented on a photo of Skinner, between his second and third ACL, where Skinner was crouching down and he said Skinner’s position was all wrong, and he might have further issues. Something to do with his ankles and not being able balance flat footed in a crouching position.

Noticed Coleman not in the draft combine list.
Does mature agers not get the invite (or) since he went undrafted last year, is Coleman ours to lose now?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Does mature agers not get the invite (or) since he went undrafted last year, is Coleman ours to lose now?
A player needs to be nominated by 5 clubs to receive an invitation to the National Combine.

State screening will be next for the players who received 3 nominations from clubs and missed out on the national combine.

The latter. It means he got below the threshold (five? they keep changing it) of interested clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back