Preview Round 19 – Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants, Saturday 27th July, Adelaide Oval, 7.40pm EST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I told you we would rise to the occasion. :p

Seriously, no-one saw that coming, especially Collingwood, who got a right royal bake from Buckley at quarter time. Let’s hope the win terminates a costly run of poor form and sweeps away the gloom and negative headlines.

It was quite something, looking at the match stats. Collingwood had 63 inside 50s to our 49, 54 hit outs to our 38, and (of course) 24 free kicks to our 14. There wasn’t that much difference anywhere else. Yet we belted them. So how did it happen?

It was clear we were “on” soon after the first bounce. Intensity, second efforts, playing for each other, it was all there. We didn’t have any passengers, everyone put their hand up. But overall, we were much quicker. We kept the ball moving forward all the time. The first thing that kids get taught, but you know what? It works.

IMHO, it’s not surprising this has all coincided with the debut of Ian Hill. “Bobby” has given the team a much-needed injection of spark and enthusiasm. Everyone loves him, he loves being out there, and he’ll only get better with experience. Keep the magic alive, Bobby. :thumbsu:

Now we go to Adelaide to face the inconsistent Power, who are coming off a lack-lustre loss to the Tigers. Sitting on 8 wins and 9 losses, they have to win this week to keep their finals hopes alive, so they will be desperate.

We’ll go over full of confidence. We’ve had the wood on Port for the past few years regardless of where we’ve played, and I don’t see any reason to think that might have changed. Complacency after euphoria will probably be our biggest challenge.

We got through the game unscathed (!), so it will be interesting to see what changes Leon makes, if that is possible. Will the same combination work against a different team? It will probably have to, because there’s no-one of note available to return from injury this week, and the NEAFL cupboard is just about bare.

Lift up your heads everyone. Things have changed.

We’re back. ;)

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Has anyone heard anything on how Jon Patton's recovery is going? Is he any chance to come back this year?
Although it is hard to see how he fits into our current fwd setup with the 3 talls.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Has anyone heard anything on how Jon Patton's recovery is going? Is he any chance to come back this year?
Although it is hard to see how he fits into our current fwd setup with the 3 talls.

He was mentioned in the injury report 2 weeks ago as nearing a playing return and if he was to come back this year to AFL he needed to play over the weekend as he would need at least 4 reserves games to build form, I dont think he will be able to break back into the side unfortunately unless it is a token farewell game v the Suns
I think the club are being very cautious as they dont want anything to happen to him to effect his playing future and any contract he can get so maybe he will get 3-4 reserves games to show he is ok

It was clear we were “on” soon after the first bounce. Intensity, second efforts, playing for each other, it was all there. We didn’t have any passengers, everyone put their hand up. But overall, we were much quicker. We kept the ball moving forward all the time. The first thing that kids get taught, but you know what? It works.

IMHO, it’s not surprising this has all coincided with the debut of Ian Hill. “Bobby” has given the team a much-needed injection of spark and enthusiasm. Everyone loves him, he loves being out there, and he’ll only get better with experience. Keep the magic alive, Bobby. :thumbsu:

I noticed this too, both with Hill pushing the ball forward, but also the move of Williams into the middle (loved LOVED LOVED this) and the return of Whitfield. The latter two are our best weapons, both can cut through congestion and hit a spearing pass on to a chest. IMO this was a big part of the win on the weekend and keeping them in there is key to keep this up. Daniels also adds a point of difference and I like how he's been playing higher the last few, though I wish people would kick into space to put it to his advantage.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Last week makes this game really exciting. If we can get over the line away v these lads then we actually have a great run home with players coming back as well
Depends what team turns up

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I noticed this too, both with Hill pushing the ball forward, but also the move of Williams into the middle (loved LOVED LOVED this) and the return of Whitfield. The latter two are our best weapons, both can cut through congestion and hit a spearing pass on to a chest. IMO this was a big part of the win on the weekend and keeping them in there is key to keep this up. Daniels also adds a point of difference and I like how he's been playing higher the last few, though I wish people would kick into space to put it to his advantage.
I love how sharp and energetic Zac is when he plays. I reckon it lifts those around him.
He’s such a good footy player. His work in traffic, particularly by foot is nearly the best in the comp.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
That speed in the contest was what I think set us apart from the previous weeks, and Brent probably had a few more things work this game than in past weeks so looked better for it. I'm really keen to see Jye Caldwell in action at some stage, to see if he can provide a similar impact to what Zac did (obviously experience difference being a factor!). No offence to TT & Hoppa, whose contested game and tackling are important, but we do need that balance of grunt and speed/agility.

The other (underappreciated) aspect was the defence. I'm not really sure why out defence shone as opposed to being overpowered in previous games, and perhaps it was contributed by the Pies forwards being off, but we really seemed to work well across both talls and medium defenders to stop the game coming in getting to goal (in the end, Pies had plenty of I50s but couldn't kick goals). Keeffe did well (not that I see him as a long term prospect), Taylor was excellent (is this kid just 24 games into is career?) and Stein did well for his 2nd game. Plus Heater had a really good game. Hopefully he can back it up in #300!

Keeffe did well (not that I see him as a long term prospect)
I wasn't too stressed about him coming in because Cox is basically the perfect matchup for him - they're both tall and both slow. Davis sounded like he's straight back in though.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So what do we see as the changes? Davis straight in for Keefe at this stage

I’d like to see stein retain his spot, I think he makes good decisions under pressure

Other than that.... how can you change that line up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
So what do we see as the changes? Davis straight in for Keefe at this stage

I’d like to see stein retain his spot, I think he makes good decisions under pressure

Other than that.... how can you change that line up?
Davis in for Keefe is the only 1 I can see.

I doubt Kenners will be right and MDB and Chook won't be right till the Derby.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Now we have the injury list, if I’m reading the tea leaves right:

Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Reid
Whitfield Caldwell Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Lids
Hill HH Daniels

Mummy Taranto Hopper
Finlayson Keeffe Lloyd Perryman

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Now we have the injury list, if I’m reading the tea leaves right:

Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Reid
Whitfield Caldwell Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Lids
Hill HH Daniels

Mummy Taranto Hopper
Finlayson Keeffe Lloyd Perryman
Who would you have Keefe playing on?

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
If I was the Giants I would try and replicate last week. Different opposition but you can only do what you can control despite the external variations!

Was last week not a fluke??? Thats a question that deserves to be asked, is it not??? How come GWS goal kicking accuracy vastly improved and should that not ideally be tapped into for reproduction for superior efforts going forward??

I think that the first time in the Giants history they have played proper football in a team sense.

It was successful, why not see if it was not about Collingwood being bad but the Giants doing a lot of things good??

This is an interesting article:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-23/im-a-midfielder-giants-defender-happy-in-the-guts

I am glad Zac Williams thinks this way because I am not convinced he is a defender, or a permanent defender against the best opposition. Heres a question, can the Giants win a premiership without Williams in the middle?? He seems to do better in the guts than some others like Kelly, using his greater dexterity, faster reflexes and quicker fibres in tight spaces to. He is a scrapper to and with a penetrating kick can offer genuine contestable competitiveness prowess, with a defensive mindset, without being flaky and licking physical presence with pace complementing tougher harder types like Greene and Hopper as well as Taranto.

Another question must be asked is can GWS afford not to have Greene in the guts either?? I think so far the best combination for the Giants in the middle in the Giants history from the start has been Williams, Green and Hopper or Taranto at the moment?? Sure Greene can play froward and be quite handy at it but is Greene not a midfield that can rested forward and not the other way round especially when the Giants have some talent in the forward line they can utilise in Hill, Daniels, Lloyd and Deledio and others can go down they to along with the bigger types?? At the same time limited role players like Reid actually draw confidence by being positioned in suitable tasks such as defence from where they can be empowered to develop through positive continuity drawn from genuine success and valuable contributions they can build and draw upon.

The other key question Giants must ask is can they win a premiership without Cameron playing CHF??? Cameron as a CHF was far more impressive than he every has been at CHF where he can run up the ground and use his pace to running back towards the forward line to create forward goal opportunities with teammates. Tomlinson did not appear to be inhibited in what he does either by Cameron's proactive role. Sure Cameron can be handy at FF and other areas in the forward line resting but really, for me, on the weekend Cameron basically inflatically stated the case he is predominately a CHF!! Himmerberg, with greater agility, seems the perfect foil deeper to compliment Cameron while Finlayson is suitable as the third tall floater. Does this mean the Giants will no longer over use the ball and reduce the targeting of wide forward flanks going forward meaning better percentage shots for goal and deeper forward penetrations meaning more success from goal scoring pressure from a superior forward transition which supports the defence by negating the opposition offence??

If GWS repeats this far superior efficiency through superior brand and structure reflecting their true DNA of the players abilities in terms of strengths and weaknesses, what should they do with Coniglio and Kelly when they get back??? For me, not liking to upset the applecart, I would put Kelly on a wing operating. like Whitfield, frankly in more space to exploit his disposal talents while Coniglio can be inserted inside and forward at times surely. The other question that needs to be asked is should Davis come back in and would that affect the Giants mobility and transition?? I guess for the bigger opposition forwards Davis would make a case but I do not think its a forgone conclusion.

The question is, since the Giants, for the first time appeared to put their hand up and play football that complimented their teammates on the weekend, are they, for the first time, in contention for a possible flag??? If indeed they can bottle a superior method which catapults them into contention that is sure to improve player retention!! Can observers now say the Giants are no longer a midfield disconnected from the defence and forward line? Have the Giants team found their actual playing identity reflecting the players traits, and optimal collective cohesion? I suppose on the weekend there is only one way to find out!! If the Giants continue to play more like a team utilising each of the players talents and negating any weaknesses does this mean the Giants improve further with a growing sense of togetherness and positivity and confidence from a better understanding of what each needs to do individually and collectively to achieve the ultimate success??

I am sure my nephew will love sticking it too me if you do indeed achieve the ultimate success!!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Well if the players continue to respect one another in the way they play by complimenting one another and acknowledging one another in terms of what they each bring to the table in a cohesive sense it has to help them play with more meaning. Does this help define their purpose as a group?? Can the players now say, because the collective is better than the individuals in a cohesive sense, this is what it means to be part of the Giants?? Have the Giants found their soul?? Is this what makes these players of the Giants relevant?? Are this playing group now saying this is why we play together and perform together in how we play to help each other and how we play and assist each other in the way we did it on the weekend?? Are these players saying only as a team, like on the weekend in what we achieve, we can do great things and become Giants and this is why we have come together and why we play together with actual purpose and reason and this is why we are players of the Giants team and we can and will prove this through our actions going forward??

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Well if the players continue to respect one another in the way they play by complimenting one another and acknowledging one another in terms of what they each bring to the table in a cohesive sense it has to help them play with more meaning. Does this help define their purpose as a group?? Can the players now say, because the collective is better than the individuals in a cohesive sense, this is what it means to be part of the Giants?? Have the Giants found their soul?? Is this what makes these players of the Giants relevant?? Are this playing group now saying this is why we play together and perform together in how we play to help each other and how we play and assist each other in the way we did it on the weekend?? Are these players saying only as a team, like on the weekend in what we achieve, we can do great things and become Giants and this is why we have come together and why we play together with actual purpose and reason and this is why we are players of the Giants team and we can and will prove this through our actions going forward??
Ridiculous.

Considering some of the wins we have had over the years, to say this is the one that "gave us a soul" is garbage.

Beating Cats away after losing our captain would rate higher and that's just this year.
There are many many more (away in Adelaide last year springs to mind).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Ridiculous.

Considering some of the wins we have had over the years, to say this is the one that "gave us a soul" is garbage.

Beating Cats away after losing our captain would rate higher and that's just this year.
There are many many more (away in Adelaide last year springs to mind).

Have to disagree.

Before the match on the weekend, most of the games produced by the Giants from a competitive perspective, apart from development, have been irrelevant. Only when the side plays together as a team does the performance have long term meaning in my book!!

Only now can the players potentially say with hand on hearts they are part of a football team playing together as opposed to a bunch of individuals from a feeder club before!!

Pretty obvious GWS made the right decisions letting go Adams and Treloar on the weekend would you not say??

At least now the decision makers can say if you leave us you will lose the connection, and benefits from such growth and progression demonstrated on the weekend that was absent beforehand!!

For example, now , assuming the weekend, although profound, was no fluke, the Giants as a collective can say Cameron is a CHF and we can build around that. Can say Williams is in the guts although he could pinch hit in backline and can build around that, can say Toby is a inside mid(heart and soul barometer/impact player) who can be rested and go forward, Whitfield is a director in space, Hopper/Taranto, inside accumulators, Reid a backman, Perryman, largely a backman with a bit of polish, Taylor/Haynes, backman with skill, Himmaberg a deeper forward largely, Hill a forward with life, speed, a few tricks that can tackle and needs to, etc.. Finlayson a loose forward and from there others can be built around that as a base, so you have your Daniels and Lloyds as forward half support. So Kelly can do the Whitfield role with his disposal in other ares of space to maximise his strengths, Tomlinson can still do his thing as shown on the weekend, Coniglio can go in the guts and rest forward and even rotate with Toby at times, Cameron can get the quick kick from stoppages from Williams and Toby at CHF because everybody is playing their role as a team working most effectively as a unit helping each other in effort and style!!!

If the Giants played like they did on the weekend with that connection with Williams in the middle Toby inside at times, Cameron at CHF would they not have beaten Essendon by 40plus points a few weeks ago so the umpires would not have the opportunity to defeat them in Melbourne??

Last edited:
Have to disagree.

Before the match on the weekend, most of the games produced by the Giants from a competitive perspective, apart from development, have been irrelevant. Only when the side plays together as a team does the performance have long term meaning in my book!!

Only now can the players potentially say with hand on hearts they are part of a football team playing together as opposed to a bunch of individuals from a feeder club before!!

Pretty obvious GWS made the right decisions letting go Adams and Treloar on the weekend would you not say??

At least now the decision makers can say if you leave us you will lose the connection, and benefits from such growth and progression demonstrated on the weekend that was absent beforehand!!

For example, now , assuming the weekend, although profound, was no fluke, the Giants as a collective can say Cameron is a CHF and we can build around that. Can say Williams is in the guts although he could pinch hit in backline and can build around that, can say Toby is a inside mid(heart and soul barometer/impact player) who can be rested and go forward, Whitfield is a director in space, Hopper/Taranto, inside accumulators, Reid a backman, Perryman, largely a backman with a bit of polish, Taylor/Haynes, backman with skill, Himmaberg a deeper forward largely, Hill a forward with life, speed, a few tricks that can tackle and needs to, etc.. Finlayson a loose forward and from there others can be built around that as a base, so you have your Daniels and Lloyds as forward half support. So Kelly can do the Whitfield role with his disposal in other ares of space to maximise his strengths, Tomlinson can still do his thing as shown on the weekend, Coniglio can go in the guts and rest forward and even rotate with Toby at times, Cameron can get the quick kick from stoppages from Williams and Toby at CHF because everybody is playing their role as a team working most effectively as a unit helping each other in effort and style!!!

If the Giants played like they did on the weekend with that connection with Williams in the middle Toby inside at times, Cameron at CHF would they not have beaten Essendon by 40plus points a few weeks ago so the umpires would not have the opportunity to defeat them in Melbourne??
This is an interesting Main Board discussion.. Not a club board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back