Society/Culture Ruckus on the Rock

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
"Ah, well, you see, Aborigines don't own the land. They belong to it. It's like their mother. See those rocks sticking up there? Been standing up therefor 600 million years. Still be there when you and I are gone. So arguing over who owns them is like two fleas arguing over who owns the dog they live on. You see, uh...Uh...Aborigines, well, like all God's creatures, they just want the right to roam across the earth and be left in peace."

I always thought that 'banning' climbing wasn't an option, at least not by the traditional owners. You're a dick if you do but we can't tell you not to do it, kind of thing.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting that Kerri Anne is condemned as a racist for bringing up significant issues that the indigenous community face in vastly greater quantity than the general population (DV, child abuse etc).

I wonder how much your average PTSD suffering indigenous orphan cares about issues such as change the date, change the anthem, don't walk on this rock, etc.

How are we supposed to close the gap when mentioning the significant dangers and health issues are considered taboo, with only token gestures dreamed up by inner city greenies dominating the headlines?

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How are we supposed to close the gap when mentioning the significant dangers and health issues are considered taboo,

They're not. It gets mentioned all the time.

with only token gestures dreamed up by inner city greenies dominating the headlines?

The higher level things like constitutional recognition can happen at the same time as things like improvements in health, as well as providing a fundamental basis for a broad range of improvement on an ongoing basis.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Interesting that Kerri Anne is condemned as a racist for bringing up significant issues that the indigenous community face in vastly greater quantity than the general population (DV, child abuse etc).

I wonder how much your average PTSD suffering indigenous orphan cares about issues such as change the date, change the anthem, don't walk on this rock, etc.

How are we supposed to close the gap when mentioning the significant dangers and health issues are considered taboo, with only token gestures dreamed up by inner city greenies dominating the headlines?
It's not like you actually care about that either.. you use it for political point scoring.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
They're not. It gets mentioned all the time.

The higher level things like constitutional recognition can happen at the same time as things like improvements in health, as well as providing a fundamental basis for a broad range of improvement on an ongoing basis.
My experience has been that it is socially unacceptable to mention these issues. The Kerry Anne drama reinforced this to me. Bringing up uncomfortable topics like pedophilia and incest can get shouted down by indigenous advocates, as it is seen as an attack. Yet defining the problem is the first step of problem solving.

I agree that we can obviously focus on multiple issues at once. But to enact serious change we need the public to demand it, and stifling awareness of the serious issues prevents this from happening.

It's not like you actually care about that either.. you use it for political point scoring.
I may be a RWNJ but this issue is personal to me, and I do genuinely care about closing the gap. I don't particularly care if people don't believe me. I care about meaningful results, of which we've had little, over feelgood nonsense that achieves little.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I may be a RWNJ but this issue is personal to me, and I do genuinely care about closing the gap. I don't particularly care if people don't believe me. I care about meaningful results, of which we've had little, over feelgood nonsense that achieves little.
Maybe it is about time you showed it instead of just point scoring for the fun of it?

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe it is about time you showed it instead of just point scoring for the fun of it?
I'm not point scoring, I'm frustrated. No one gave a flying * 10 years ago about change the date, change the anthem, uluru etc. These are manufactured distractions that appeal to slacktivists. Appearing to be virtuous is apparently far more important than actually being virtuous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you even understand the basic words you are quoting? I never called him racist.
Maybe if you read the last part of the sentence where it said get him lefties and then you came in and attacked him you might understand why what I said is accurate.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Maybe if you read the last part of the sentence where it said get him lefties and then you came in and attacked him you might understand why what I said is accurate.
Maybe if you didn't come in here coming in gang ho looking for A-ha moments when there aren't any, BF would be a better place.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
My experience has been that it is socially unacceptable to mention these issues. The Kerry Anne drama reinforced this to me. Bringing up uncomfortable topics like pedophilia and incest can get shouted down by indigenous advocates, as it is seen as an attack. Yet defining the problem is the first step of problem solving.

I agree that we can obviously focus on multiple issues at once. But to enact serious change we need the public to demand it, and stifling awareness of the serious issues prevents this from happening.

That's because their communities suffer the same problems that every other community suffers, no more and no less, to imply it's worse is clearly racist.

Because of that, in the west we have tv community messages about drinking, smoking and syphilis, addressed directly at Aborigines. Something I have never seen anywhere else in the country.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That's because their communities suffer the same problems that every other community suffers, no more and no less, to imply it's worse is clearly racist.

Errr, what?

There is a difference between 'limited to' and 'more prevalent in'. There are all sorts of problems in the community that afflict indigenous and non indigenous people. If the rates of sexual abuse, alcoholism, incarceration etc. within Aboriginal communities and the indigenous population overall are significantly higher than that of the rest of the population then that needs to be highlighted and addressed.

Aboriginal people make up 43% of prisoners in WA and under 5% of the population overall. There's no racism in that sentence, it's a statement of fact. It's head in the sand stuff for anyone to pretend that certain issues aren't worse for Aboriginal people compared to everyone else. Domestic violence for example isn't an Aboriginal problem. But it is more of a problem for Aboriginal people.

In 2014–15, Indigenous women were 32 times as likely to be hospitalised due to family violence as non-Indigenous women, while Indigenous men were 23 times as likely to be hospitalised as non-Indigenous men (SCRGSP 2016).

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Errr, what?

There is a difference between 'limited to' and 'more prevalent in'. There are all sorts of problems in the community that afflict indigenous and non indigenous people. If the rates of sexual abuse, alcoholism, incarceration etc. within Aboriginal communities and the indigenous population overall are significantly higher than that of the rest of the population then that needs to be highlighted and addressed.

Aboriginal people make up 43% of prisoners in WA and under 5% of the population overall. There's no racism in that sentence, it's a statement of fact. It's head in the sand stuff for anyone to pretend that certain issues aren't worse for Aboriginal people compared to everyone else. Domestic violence for example isn't an Aboriginal problem. But it is more of a problem for Aboriginal people.

Did you read all of my post? It was a bit tongue in cheek.

No, our problems are no better or worse than anywhere else in the country yet we have tv infomercials made specifically for us to tackle smoking, drinking, syphilis, sex, teen pregnancy etc.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
I'm not point scoring, I'm frustrated. No one gave a flying fu** 10 years ago about change the date, change the anthem, uluru etc. These are manufactured distractions that appeal to slacktivists. Appearing to be virtuous is apparently far more important than actually being virtuous.

So you're out on the ground in communities working to reduce suicide, alcoholism, youth crime I take it?

Or are you just another online virtue signaller?

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you're out on the ground in communities working to reduce suicide, alcoholism, youth crime I take it?

Or are you just another online virtue signaller?
I'm not signaling anything mate, I never claimed to be a hero like the Triple J listening, soy latte sipping flogs.

The way I help is to be loving towards my indigenous "nephews and nieces" (the foster children of multiple people close to me). To spread awareness of the real issues. I have donated a couple of times to indigenous mental health charities (admittedly, * all).

It's still more than the virtue signaling left, who think they're achieving something by abusing people who climbed Uluru and increasing division.

Similarly, I've dedicated my professional life to fighting climate change by joining the renewables industry. Yet I still get muppets in the renewables thread thinking they're more virtuous than me as they support policies that will actually increase carbon emissions.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah, point taken. Plently of tourists do get there and are surprised to find out you shouldnt climb it.

I've seen it myself; they've gone a long way (it's literally giant rock in the middle of no-where), and when they finally get there they're asked not to climb it. At the same time it's got a climbing railing on the side of it begging them to do so.

It's then a decision to make.

Honestly, most backpackers and such and decent people dont climb it in my experience. Some who woudlnt normally climb it might in those circumstances.
Backpackers are some of the most likely to climb it once they are there... selfie opportunity and all

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Australians, Americans, British. You know the ones with the culture of taking a dump on culture, but then complaining their "culture" is being taken away.
Your average Indian and Chinese package tourist are more disrespectful of other cultures

Remove this Banner Ad

Back