Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Just remember that it’s only cheating if you get caught 😉
Spot on!

Seriously though, my proportions of long legs, long arms and a shorter abdomen make conventional so hard on my lower back, sumo feels so much better.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Spot on!

Seriously though, my proportions of long legs, long arms and a shorter abdomen make conventional so hard on my lower back, sumo feels so much better.

That makes a big difference in comps when your back is cooked after squats/bench too.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I only got to the point in the first video where he said neither pro football teams nor D1 college sides are deadlifting and stopped watching as that’s 100% not correct.

Themanbun

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure I'll be cleared for a return to sport after my ACL reco until the 12 month mark. Now deadlifting 120kg, leg pressing the stack, and doing a fair bit of running but getting frequent inflammation flare ups and had a few unsteady moments throughout the day.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I work in American football. They don’t deadlift. It’s weird

There are definitely college and pro teams that do though.
That, and “these X people don’t do it therefore you shouldn’t” isn’t a very strong argument lol.

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are definitely college and pro teams that do though.
That, and “these X people don’t do it therefore you shouldn’t” isn’t a very strong argument lol.

I’m yet to find any nfl team or college team who deadlift. RDL yeah, but no conventionals.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I’m yet to find any nfl team or college team who deadlift. RDL yeah, but no conventionals.

Really?
I can find videos on YT of Pros/College players deadlifting (they might be training under a private coach).
Definitely guys doing trap bar deadlifts at college or club gyms.

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Really?
I can find videos on YT of Pros/College players deadlifting (they might be training under a private coach).
Definitely guys doing trap bar deadlifts at college or club gyms.

NFL has weird offseason rules so yeah it might be their private coaches.

They have a massive reluctance on deadlifting.

I think this is because culturally they have horrible form. It’s all about numbers not how you move. And if that’s the mantra - deadlifts are an aweful idea. I’m seeing some ex div 1 athletes and they move like absolute s**t. Mind blowingly strong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
NFL has weird offseason rules so yeah it might be their private coaches.

They have a massive reluctance on deadlifting.

I think this is because culturally they have horrible form. It’s all about numbers not how you move. And if that’s the mantra - deadlifts are an aweful idea. I’m seeing some ex div 1 athletes and they move like absolute s**t. Mind blowingly strong though.

Some of the benches and squats I’ve seen from high school and college kids would blow most seasoned Australian powerlifters away and, like you say, technique is virtually non-existent.

There's definitely guys doing trap bar deadlifts, I'd say that's probably the main reason not many deadlift, just because it's easier/safer to trap bar.

Trap bar also seems to have more carryover to most sporting movements.

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some of the benches and squats I’ve seen from high school and college kids would blow most seasoned Australian powerlifters away and, like you say, technique is virtually non-existent.

Trap bar also seems to have more carryover to most sporting movements.

American football is one of the anomalies - particularly Linemen. They really need to be powerful from a parallel squat position. If you check out their stance, it's all post chain and the angles are pretty congruent with a low bar back squat.

I personally love a trap bar and I get a lot of my big levered boys to do it instead of rack pulls or conventional.
I'm not a big fan of pulling from the floor unless your mechanics allow it easily.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The trap bar limited my weight compared to deadlift, but i felt great doing it.

Today is back day so i might to light deadlifts for reps and keep the big stuff for leg day

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Big back day last night...bigger leg session this morning.

Noticing improvement/size in my back and my arms are getting better, even though i am still only doing lighter weights.

Touch wood, all good.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Deadlifting at or close to 1RM may be riskier IMO. It's not the movement itself that is risky.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our gym is getting a trapbar soon, keen to try it out over normal deadlifts.
I have been doing these, but i can't lift as much as conventional...but boy my back feels great after it.

With conventionals, i feel discomfort.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have been watching some Tom Platz vids and man i want to destroy my legs.

He reminds me of this guy

7rgjz32pgdg11.jpg

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I have been doing these, but i can't lift as much as conventional...but boy my back feels great after it.

With conventionals, i feel discomfort.

The problem you’ll run into now is that if you go back to conventional your back will be deconditioned.
We’re a bit precious about our backs sometimes. Sore legs after squatting or sore pecs after benching? No worries. Sore back after deadlifts? WW3 and we all have leprosy.

The problem you’ll run into now is that if you go back to conventional your back will be deconditioned.
We’re a bit precious about our backs sometimes. Sore legs after squatting or sore pecs after benching? No worries. Sore back after deadlifts? WW3 and we all have leprosy.
Sore legs and pecs you can work around, sore back and you’re totally ****ed for work and everything else in your life. Can’t bend over, you can’t do s**t!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back