Analysis Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Who recruited this imposters like crouch and sloane

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rendell recruited Sloane and Brad. Matt is Hamish’s with a pick in the 20s.

That was one of the years Hamish didn’t have a first rounder.

And who called them imposters? 2 of them are AA’s and Club Champions with Brad likely to join them as a CC this year.

Also good to see you’ve reverted to form.

Midfield is clearly too one paced. Crouch x 2, Sloane, CEY, Gibbs & Greenwood are way too slow. They all get sucked into the contest and our opponents push them in and stand back to collect the easy ball or pressure our players into blindly hack it forward.

We need to inject Milera, Smith, Jones, McHenry & co in ASAP to provide some buzz and creativity, but also our coaches need to adjust to our opponent and have a player or two hang out on the outside.

Oddly enough in 2012 we had some good set plays with Danger & Thommo providing some really good pure clearances.

Midfield is clearly too one paced. Crouch x 2, Sloane, CEY, Gibbs & Greenwood are way too slow. They all get sucked into the contest and our opponents push them in and stand back to collect the easy ball or pressure our players into blindly hack it forward.

We need to inject Milera, Smith, Jones, McHenry & co in ASAP to provide some buzz and creativity, but also our coaches need to adjust to our opponent and have a player or two hang out on the outside.

Oddly enough in 2012 we had some good set plays with Danger & Thommo providing some really good pure clearances.
The stubbornness of not playing tagger is astonishing as well. Gibbs has done well in that role, but not putting Knight onto Merrett last week is nothing short of mind blowing! Coaches always say it ruins the rest of the defensive setup, but hot tip, it hasn't been working in the last month anyway

Is crap basically.

One dimensional, no speed, no spread, no composure and average skills.

Sloane can’t break a tag and that’s pretty pathetic. Even more so calls to make a guy who can’t break a tag sole captain.

Problem is our midfield is committed to Sloane and both Crouches. That can’t continue.

We don’t play a tagger even when getting carved up and other clubs have shown us the way. Our coaches are stubborn fools.

We’ve had Smith, Milera and Atkins rotate but Atkins ain’t a centre mid, too soft.

Our midfield needs to get Jones in there and I’d start him as a tagger. McHenry to also be developed in this role.

Rotations:

Smith, Matt and Jones
Milera, Brad and McHenry

Sloane is a liability in there, put him to half back.

I’d trade Matt if we could because he can’t play anywhere else if he’s not on ball. I’d prefer CEY who would be a cheaper option.

But ideally we get Anderson, problem is we won’t play him until 2022.

I'm increasingly thinking this is the issue. Matt is a Scott Thompson clone, bull inside mid who wins a lot of clearances and finds a lot of the ball. But how much impact does he actually have. Brad had the potential to be an elite mid, but will he ever be able to reach this now and will his body hold up long term? He's a gun contested ball winner and like his brother, has a knack for finding the footy, but burns the footy and often wins a lot of the ball for questionable impact.

Then you add Sloane, Greenwood, CEY and Gibbs to our midfield and its very one paced, lacking in spread and defensive effort from the clearance situation. We simply need to be injecting more speed into our midfield, however whilst all these players are here, guys like Milera, Jones, Gallucci and McHenry, whom we've recruited for this very reason, struggle to get a look in. Even at SANFL level the latter 3 get moved aside for Wilson, Poholke and now Gibbs and Douglas. I'm surprised Wright isn't a regular through our SANFL midfield.

We simply can't solve our issues whilst Sloane, Crouch, Crouch, CEY and Greenwood remain in our 22, even more so with Gibbs and Douglas on the sidelines and Mackay, Atkins, Seedsman, Smith, Milera, Laird taking peripheral mid type spots.

The key questions we need to be asking are:
- Can we bring in the much needed pace to our midfield whilst Sloane, Crouch, Crouch, CEY, Greenwood and Gibbs remain on our list?
- Are the Crouches really the ones to take our midfield forward long term?

Regarding the 2nd question, I'm increasingly questioning whether the answer to this is really yes? Both are very much "see ball, get ball" types, even with a competent midfield coach, will they be able to play to a genuine midfield system, providing spread and defensive effort? Then we have the issue that neither are versatile, Matt is very slow and offers little defensively, Brad's a bit better but his body regularly lets him down. Neither are good users/particularly damaging by foot. However both would be highly valuable on the trade table.

The question I'd be asking is, through putting Matt and Brad on the Trade Table, combined with our Carlton pick, could we manouvre ourselves into holding picks 1 and 2? That gives us a future midfield group of Milera, Jones, McHenry, Rowell, Anderson +/- Gallucci. In the mean time we'd still have Sloane, Milera +/- a selection of Gibbs, CEY and Greenwood to hold the fort whilst they develop, hopefully under a competent midfield coaching group.

Pie in the sky and risky? No doubt. Whether it ends up happening that way, I'm increasingly thinking that the Crouch brother's may be worth more to us through trades than they are keeping on the list. I'd also be looking at what I could get for Jenkins, Lynch, Kelly and Hartigan.

We're one of, if not the oldest, lists in the comp, filled with experience and talent on paper, but are currently on a long, slow, excrutiating burn to nowhere. Whatever happens, I think we need a major shake up of our club both onfield and off of it.

I'm increasingly thinking this is the issue. Matt is a Scott Thompson clone, bull inside mid who wins a lot of clearances and finds a lot of the ball. But how much impact does he actually have. Brad had the potential to be an elite mid, but will he ever be able to reach this now and will his body hold up long term? He's a gun contested ball winner and like his brother, has a knack for finding the footy, but burns the footy and often wins a lot of the ball for questionable impact.

Then you add Sloane, Greenwood, CEY and Gibbs to our midfield and its very one paced, lacking in spread and defensive effort from the clearance situation. We simply need to be injecting more speed into our midfield, however whilst all these players are here, guys like Milera, Jones, Gallucci and McHenry, whom we've recruited for this very reason, struggle to get a look in. Even at SANFL level the latter 3 get moved aside for Wilson, Poholke and now Gibbs and Douglas. I'm surprised Wright isn't a regular through our SANFL midfield.

We simply can't solve our issues whilst Sloane, Crouch, Crouch, CEY and Greenwood remain in our 22, even more so with Gibbs and Douglas on the sidelines and Mackay, Atkins, Seedsman, Smith, Milera, Laird taking peripheral mid type spots.

The key questions we need to be asking are:
- Can we bring in the much needed pace to our midfield whilst Sloane, Crouch, Crouch, CEY, Greenwood and Gibbs remain on our list?
- Are the Crouches really the ones to take our midfield forward long term?

Regarding the 2nd question, I'm increasingly questioning whether the answer to this is really yes? Both are very much "see ball, get ball" types, even with a competent midfield coach, will they be able to play to a genuine midfield system, providing spread and defensive effort? Then we have the issue that neither are versatile, Matt is very slow and offers little defensively, Brad's a bit better but his body regularly lets him down. Neither are good users/particularly damaging by foot. However both would be highly valuable on the trade table.

The question I'd be asking is, through putting Matt and Brad on the Trade Table, combined with our Carlton pick, could we manouvre ourselves into holding picks 1 and 2? That gives us a future midfield group of Milera, Jones, McHenry, Rowell, Anderson +/- Gallucci. In the mean time we'd still have Sloane, Milera +/- a selection of Gibbs, CEY and Greenwood to hold the fort whilst they develop, hopefully under a competent midfield coaching group.

Pie in the sky and risky? No doubt. Whether it ends up happening that way, I'm increasingly thinking that the Crouch brother's may be worth more to us through trades than they are keeping on the list. I'd also be looking at what I could get for Jenkins, Lynch, Kelly and Hartigan.

We're one of, if not the oldest, lists in the comp, filled with experience and talent on paper, but are currently on a long, slow, excrutiating burn to nowhere. Whatever happens, I think we need a major shake up of our club both onfield and off of it.
Nailed it.

The Crouch’s will only take us so far. Both were major possession winners on GF day 2017, but were barely noticeable, and no amount of possessions from them could turn the tide. That was the first time I’d really questioned their effectiveness.

Couldn’t agree more with the trading suggestions. I’m one who still holds out hope that we can extract Luko from GC so would like us to somehow get him back as well as get in some more midfield talent.

Lot of work to be done

The stubbornness of not playing tagger is astonishing as well. Gibbs has done well in that role, but not putting Knight onto Merrett last week is nothing short of mind blowing! Coaches always say it ruins the rest of the defensive setup, but hot tip, it hasn't been working in the last month anyway

Apart from the Melbourne game (where he kept Oliver to 2 touches in the 3rd before Oliver got another 9 disposals in the last) when has Gibbs played well as a tagger?

Key issue for them is their lack of defensive running and not being accountable.

Coaches votes since the bye
Kelly 9
Gray 10
Merrett 10

It’s partially coaching for not assigning a tag. But it’s also very much player responsibility or lack thereof.

We actually need to accept that a midfield anchored by Sloane and the Crouch brothers is not an A grade midfield and never will be.

Needs to be rebuilt with Milera the anchor and with some defensive heart. Jones and McHenry will provide that.

Gallucci hasn’t been given adequate midfield time to develop. Smith has been a good addition and must never return to half back.

My midfield going forward
Milera
Smith
Gallucci
Jones
McHenry
CEY.

Trade one of the Crouch’s, Matt is most easily covered but Brad would extract the better deal. I guess Matt on balance.

Trade Greenwood.

Then maybe reboot Brad into a different role. I’d like to see him as a medium sized pressure forward.
There are 3 gun half backs in draft and we should draft one of them and likely flip our pick into multiple picks

I’d still have the crouches in mid but with a much different look around them ... guys that can get it on inside like that are worth it but not backed up by any of Sloane , Gibbs or Greenwood

Milera should start in the square with the crouches and Jones the next man in starting forward , ditto Smith

There are 3 gun half backs in draft and we should draft one of them and likely flip our pick into multiple picks

I’d still have the crouches in mid but with a much different look around them ... guys that can get it on inside like that are worth it but not backed up by any of Sloane , Gibbs or Greenwood

Milera should start in the square with the crouches and Jones the next man in starting forward , ditto Smith
Did catch a whisper today we are already on the march to split that Carlton pick into 2 higher ones.

Did catch a whisper today we are already on the march to split that Carlton pick into 2 higher ones.
Lower ones ? Makes sense to me especially if one is a top 10

Then we get 3 within 21 , we need 3 good young players !

It’s not last year where you miss out on Lukosius and Rozee / Rankine

Even last year you’d trade Luko for B Smith and Clarke Or Duursma I think

Yep that’s it.

Mind you I’m all in for Luko if we have any chance of getting him back.

Costly but worth it IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rendell recruited Sloane and Brad. Matt is Hamish’s with a pick in the 20s.

That was one of the years Hamish didn’t have a first rounder.

And who called them imposters? 2 of them are AA’s and Club Champions with Brad likely to join them as a CC this year.

Also good to see you’ve reverted to form.
So what superstars has Hamish brought in to today's team

What we need is Essendon to finish outside the 8 so we have an easy split option with GWS for two decent picks

Guy who does scouting for the Eastern Ranges told me earlier in the year that outside of us getting a top 2 pick we'd likely look to convert the pick into two. Rating it as a pretty even draft after the two Vic mids.

So what superstars has Hamish brought in to today's team

Do you really need me to go through his drafting history again for you?

You thought you had him with your question about who drafted them, when it was mostly Rendell you’ve changed tact. If you don’t even know who Hamish has drafted why do you bag him?

Guy who does scouting for the Eastern Ranges told me earlier in the year that outside of us getting a top 2 pick we'd likely look to convert the pick into two. Rating it as a pretty even draft after the two Vic mids.
I don’t think it’s a good idea unless it’s 2 top 10s. Otherwise we’ve effectively traded 19 in a stronger draft and this year’s first for 2 similar picks.

This is our year to get an elite talent.

Besides we can’t get our kids in now, what’s the point of stockpiling more?

I'd look at who is the easiest to replace from our current midfield mix.

Brad - Burst pace, big body and has shown the ability to kick goals.

Sloane - Heart of the team. Slow, inside leaning but drifts forward and can take a contested mark.

CEY - Enormous man, not quick but is aggressive and more defensively minded in his positioning.

Greenwood - Has a great skillset, but cannot run out a half a game. Has some currency.

Matt - One of if not the best ball winners in the game. Composed and knows his limits. Slow, doesn't transition either way and doesn't kick enough goals. Loads.of currency but a role we can find someone else for.

I don’t think it’s a good idea unless it’s 2 top 10s. Otherwise we’ve effectively traded 19 in a stronger draft and this year’s first for 2 similar picks.

Theres a bunch of very quality kids behind the big 2, however if we finish up with pick 2 I wouldn't be trading it......unless Luko wants to come home.

Doubt anyone gives up two top 10 picks. Maybe we trade the pick to GWS for theirs and Essendons first so they can grab Tom Green early. That'd be 12 and 13 at the moment and give us currently 12, 13, 21 and 29.

Doubt anyone gives up two top 10 picks. Maybe we trade the pick to GWS for theirs and Essendons first so they can grab Tom Green early. That'd be 12 and 13 at the moment and give us currently 12, 13, 21 and 29.

I wouldn’t do it, makes the pick swap pointless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back