Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the best improvement for Lynch on the weekend was not just getting his legs etc... as some commentators described in terms of core strength in the contest, but the fact he was getting further up the ground and starting to use his endurance base!!

With Lynch getting further up the ground it improves our forward transition in terms of motion and direction. He provides a marking option, point of difference but also provides a greater impact through more play expose developing his continuity and progression. This also supports the way our smalls transfer the ball up the ground through quick surge ball movement as Lynch has the legs to support that. Furthermore, Lynch up the ground more provides more space for JR more forward as well as Chol who might be resting forward or someone like a Caddy as another option or even Dusty resting.

Lynch up the ground would also aiding breaking down opposition defensive set-ups and structures

Last edited:

I seriously cant help but laugh watching Lynch and Riewoldt working together with Martin being down there and our small forwards hunting.

We have completely taking away opposition defenders ability to peel off and go 3rd man up to kill a contest.

You can see the confusion and panic its creating.

We are taking the piss now.

I love lynch leading up at the ball carrier opening up space behind him.

Only going to get better!
Triple delight

AFL 2019: The Tom Lynch mark that would strike fear into Richmond’s upcoming rivals
July 24, 2019 2:05pm
Anna Harrington
FOX SPORTS

The Richmond forward line splits, a defender is left flailing and Tom Lynch charges forward to mark on the lead.
It’s a sight that dominated Richmond’s victory over Port Adelaide, with Lynch clunking nine marks — including four contested and five inside 50 — in one of his finest performances yet in yellow and black.

It’s also a sight Richmond supporters would have hoped for — but maybe never expected to see from their $6m investment this year, given knee surgery meant Lynch barely had a pre-season.
And above all, it was a sight that should have struck fear into all those poised to face Richmond at the pointy end of this season.

Incredibly, the boom recruit has managed to front up for every game this season — something only Lynch and Dion Prestia have been able to achieve in a Tiger season blotted with injuries to key personnel.

And now, the Tigers are starting to reap the rewards of their big man’s run of games.

“It’s been amazing,” defender Nick Vlastuin told foxfooty.com.au.

“It’s probably a bit of a shock — like if you said ‘Lynchy to play every game, one of the only players to play every game’ — if you told the medical staff that around Christmas, they would have said ‘you’re dreaming.’

“Full credit to the medical staff, maintaining him and keeping him up and going.

“So yeah, it’s just good to have him out there.”

Despite his interrupted pre-season, Lynch sits fifth on the Coleman Medal leaderboard with 40 goals, having averaged 2.4 goals per game this year — his best return since his All-Australian season of 2016, when he booted 66 goals at an average of 3.0 per game.

Lynch has also averaged two contested marks, 0.7 goal assists and 7.1 contested possessions per game — stats all ranked elite.

They’re the type of numbers that are a testament to the key forward’s workrate and aerial strength — especially given at times, he’s had to play an effective lone hand talls-wise in Jack Riewoldt’s absence.

Now, Lynch is starting to find the running power and ability to cover the ground again.

After criticisms of his mobility earlier in the year, the past two games have seen Lynch average 18.5 disposals, 4.5 inside-50s, 6.5 marks and 13 contested possessions.

“No pre-season and at the start of the year if you’d have said to our medical staff, our coaching staff that Tom Lynch would be the player who’s played the most game time for us this year, they would have laughed at you,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“But I mean, credit to him — the way he’s managed his body and I think now he’s starting to find some real fitness and match fitness as well.

“There’s pre-season fitness where you can run around and do what you want in rehab and find that running ability but there’s genuine match-hardened fitness.

“And I listened to a couple of Fox’s commentators on the weekend, Jonathan Brown and Nick (Riewoldt) speak about him finding his legs and I reckon that’s a really good judgment of where he’s at — it looks like he’s found his legs

“He doesn’t look unsteady. He looks really confident when he’s running and marking the ball.

I know I’ve seen some footage of marks that he’s taken that I sort of think ‘oh, he’s starting to find it.’

“And that last bit of play we saw on the on the overlay there of just picking the ball up and being able to push off and drive away and snap on his left — that’s Tom Lynch of 2016-17 when he was up and going.”
In 2016 and 2017, Lynch established himself as one of the most exciting key forwards in the game, booting 109 goals across two seasons.

But while Lynch was always a standout player on the Gold Coast, his aggression was rarely focused on as much as, say, his brilliant contested marking.

It’s something that has stood out as Lynch has taken control of the Richmond forward line — especially in Riewoldt’s injury-enforced absence.

When the tall forward spent an afternoon on the MCG scuffling with fiery Hawthorn defender James Sicily earlier this year, an amused Damien Hardwick stressed the seemingly mild-mannered Lynch had a genuine “mean streak” to him.

As Riewoldt notes, it’s the type of presence that both Lynch’s senior and junior teammates have been able to “cling to” in an at-times difficult season.
“I am enjoying playing with him. I know that he’s relishing the chance of having someone older play with him as well,” Riewoldt said.

“And I’m really loving his leadership, and it’s something that I didn’t (know) — I know he’d been captain of the Gold Coast but I was unsure of what his leadership style is.

“He is one of those guys out there that as soon as he gets over that white line, he just has this aggression that I love and I can really cling to that as well, because it’s probably not a part of me naturally when I go to play, is being really aggressive.

“And that’s something that he brings and I think our smaller forwards have really bought into that as well.

“So one, I’m just loving being out there. And two, I’m in pretty strong admiration of the way he’s going about it because he’s playing some pretty decent footy.”

It’s no coincidence Lynch’s rise to top form over the past two weeks has correlated with Riewoldt’s return from a knee injury.

Having two genuine top-quality forwards means any club without two strong key defenders will be up against it.

Against Port Adelaide, Lynch frequently worked his way up the ground to allow Riewoldt to isolate Dan Houston deep one-on-one, with Riewoldt also spending time in a higher, roaming role to create space for Lynch.
Having played just five games together this year, the pair finally hit their straps as a duo against the Power, with both Lynch and Riewoldt slotting three goals.

“They both looked dangerous at various stages,” Hardwick said post-match.

“And once we sort of started to spot them up on the lead, I thought they worked really well together and … they’re only a couple of games in really so they’re going to get better along the way and work in unison a little bit more.

With Dustin Martin also spending time forward, and the likes of Daniel Rioli and Jason Castagna hovering inside 50, Richmond’s forward line is looking menacingly threatening.

And the really scary thing?

That combination should only get better with age.

“Yeah Jack’s been a pretty good decoy for Lynchy, hey! So it has been good. He (Riewoldt) won’t like me saying that,” Vlastuin said with a laugh.

“But nah Lynchy’s awesome.

“They’re both really good ground kickers as well.
“So they both can take contested marks, so whichever one gets the second defender they can kind of roll over and try and exploit that.

“So yeah they’re only going to get better with more chemistry and that working together and we’re still learning kind of how to kick it to Lynchy where he likes it. So yeah, they’re only going to get better the more footy they play together.”

And five weeks out from finals, that $6m investment is starting to look like a priceless acquisition.

I use to think Waitte was one of the best marks on the lead...when he stayed in the side.
But Lynch is awesome, he looks like he’s catching a big easter egg when he gets hands on it
Lynch reminds me of Stewie 'Buckets' Loewe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have wanted lynch at the Tiges for years now. His skill was obvious, but his contested marking was what really piqued my interest in him and as such, spent a lot of time watching matches he was involved in. Now we have him and he is everything I wanted. Marks them and takes heat of jack and all the other benefits that comes with a player of his type but the thing that really stands out is how happy he looks playing compared to when at GC. It's like he has found the love for the game again, and I don't want to speak for him but jeez if that is the case then I can't see any reason why he won't beat his form for the 2016 season.

It's just so good watching him play with happiness and passion rather than just use his skill to get by like he appeared to be with GC. It looks like he has really bought into Richmond which I must admit was my one worry, that maybe is attitude would fracture us. But that attitude looks like it was just because he was stuck at GC.

I'd love to win the GF this year to give him that success he had always wanted, just like we did with Meatball, Cads and the Tank in their first year with the club.

Not really too much of a point to this post so I'll ask you, we're you keen on a Lynch trade and if so has he done what you hoped he would and if you didn't want him are you happy to have him now?

I heard equal for and against arguments for Lynch amongst supporters before the trade so I'm interested to see what you guys reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back