Strategy List Management 101

Remove this Banner Ad

I grant people manual access to the thread once they graduate from 101, there are 4 of us on there at the moment
Who are the other 3?

I grant people manual access to the thread once they graduate from 101, there are 4 of us on there at the moment

I don't want to be a part of any thread that would have me as a contributor.

Agree

I also don’t know why people are so willing to accept a drop down the ladder

This season has been a disgrace

Hold up...

If 2 years ago someone said "Swans will be in bottom 4 in 2019" I'd be fuming, cause I would've assumed we'd have Buddy kicking 50+ goals, if not his usual hauls of 70+, 3x All Australian Hanners still in our midfield (not an unrealistic expectation given he is only 28) and veterans in JPK & Jack still leading the way (not an unrealistic expectation given they are 31 and 32).

Instead Buddy hasn't been able to get on the park, and we've only got 23 goals out of him. Hanners was banged up and traded, and replaced by kids like Florent and Rowbottom. And JPK and Jack unexpectedly hit a wall a lot sooner than they probably should've, so they haven't been able to make up for what the kids can't provide yet. Throw in the fact we are missing all 3 of our ideal ruck candidates. So if I knew all of that 2 years ago, and someone said "Swans will be in bottom 4 in 2019", I would've said "yep that's probably about right."

I know you don't like using youth as an excuse. It's not even an excuse, it's just a fact. We have been the youngest or second youngest side nearly every week this year. It's just common knowledge that teams with those numbers don't get far. Back in 2014-2016, if we were coming up against a side as inexperienced as we are, there were always people saying, "we should win this easy, playing a team of kids", and there would always be people lamenting whenever our wins against such teams weren't easy. Well guess what, we haven't been an easy team to beat. We've only had two losses this year that have been over 4 goals (one of them was only by 26 points). You really can't see that as a good thing?

Far from a disgrace IMO. Apologies for the rant, I just think you were way off the mark there Kingy

Hold up...

If 2 years ago someone said "Swans will be in bottom 4 in 2019" I'd be fuming, cause I would've assumed we'd have Buddy kicking 50+ goals, if not his usual hauls of 70+, 3x All Australian Hanners still in our midfield (not an unrealistic expectation given he is only 28) and veterans in JPK & Jack still leading the way (not an unrealistic expectation given they are 31 and 32).

Instead Buddy hasn't been able to get on the park, and we've only got 23 goals out of him. Hanners was banged up and traded, and replaced by kids like Florent and Rowbottom. And JPK and Jack unexpectedly hit a wall a lot sooner than they probably should've, so they haven't been able to make up for what the kids can't provide yet. Throw in the fact we are missing all 3 of our ideal ruck candidates. So if I knew all of that 2 years ago, and someone said "Swans will be in bottom 4 in 2019", I would've said "yep that's probably about right."

I know you don't like using youth as an excuse. It's not even an excuse, it's just a fact. We have been the youngest or second youngest side nearly every week this year. It's just common knowledge that teams with those numbers don't get far. Back in 2014-2016, if we were coming up against a side as inexperienced as we are, there were always people saying, "we should win this easy, playing a team of kids", and there would always be people lamenting whenever our wins against such teams weren't easy. Well guess what, we haven't been an easy team to beat. We've only had two losses this year that have been over 4 goals (one of them was only by 26 points). You really can't see that as a good thing?

Far from a disgrace IMO. Apologies for the rant, I just think you were way off the mark there Kingy

we took a list from 2014 that was elite and this is the culmination of poor list management

a lot,of it was obvious

no one likes tanking, but support the clubs speedy fall down the ladder

each to thier own

disgrace harsh yep, but its fail, not good enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a coincidence that most players that we let go the last 4-5 have succeeded

Over rated and under valued it seemed

Not the greatest list Management

blooded kids---- when the guys who fell off the cliff finally got injured

we took a list from 2014 that was elite and this is the culmination of poor list management

a lot,of it was obvious

each to thier own

Well your beef is with the list management side of the club then. There's more to a club than that. To say it's a disgrace is still insulting to the playing group who I think have done pretty well under the circumstances. They can hold their head up high even if some in charge of list management decisions have effed up

Well your beef is with the list management side of the club then. There's more to a club than that. To say it's a disgrace is still insulting to the playing group who I think have done pretty well under the circumstances. They can hold their head up high even if some in charge of list management decisions have effed up

getting off topic, but theres been multiple games where the effort has been pathetic

list management isnt separate to the club

getting off topic, but theres been multiple games where the effort has been pathetic

list management isnt separate to the club

Multiple games? I can think of one, being the Carlton game. The rest just seemed like confidence issues with the team.

Whether you want to admit it or not our team has far from disgraced itself on the field this year. Very proud of the boys effort all season long.

List management issues are related to the club, but specify that, there's been plenty to like with the playing group who don't deserve to be lumbered in with whatever the club has got wrong with list decisions

a lot,of it was obvious

each to thier own

Trade ban and COLA phase out didn’t help

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not a coincidence that most players that we let go the last 4-5 have succeeded

Over rated and under valued it seemed

Not the greatest list Management

We were right to let Malceski walk, did nothing at Suns. Same with Bird, Everitt, White ...Membry in reality would have barely got a look in at the Swans if he stayed.

Hanners and Rohan painful but the right call too. Sam Murray serving 4 year dope ban so good to move him on beforehand

Mumford (salary cap) and Jetta we had little choice. Nank and Biggs not great decisions

Mitchell a clanger for the ages

I think the big mistake going in to this season was retaining Grundy, Smith, McVeigh and Jack on the list. Jack was contracted, but the other three all signed new deals for 2019. In total we have managed 11 games total from the four of them to this point. We probably won't get too many more than that for the rest of the season.

You would think none of them are on the list next year, so all that cap space is going to be freed up, but we could be a little more advanced in rebuilding the list already if we hadn't taken all of them in to 2019.

Easy to say with 20/20 vision of hindsight, but I think it was pretty clear that all were going to be playing diminishing roles this year anyway. We should have been a bit more aggressive with the list regeneration.

Maybe it could have opened up the cap space a bit more to get Darcy Moore over the line? At the very least we could have taken a punt on a couple more kids.

Last edited:

Maybe it could have opened up the cap space a bit more to get Darcy Moore over the line? At the very least we could have taken a punt on a couple more kids.
I cannot find any reference, but I thought Moore had said he was never really coming to Sydney - it was just contract negotiation with Collingwood

I think the big mistake going in to this season was retaining Grundy, Smith, McVeigh and Jack on the list. Jack was contracted, but the other three all signed new deals for 2019. In total we have managed 11 games total from the four of them to this point. We probably won't get too many more than that for the rest of the season.

You would think none of them are on the list next year, so all that cap space is going to be freed up, but we could be a little more advanced in rebuilding the list already if we hadn't taken all of them in to 2019.

Easy to say with 20/20 vision of hindsight, but I think it was pretty clear that all were going to be playing diminishing roles this year anyway. We should have been a bit more aggressive with the list regeneration.

Smith, Grundy, McVeigh (on 1 year contracts) and Jack (last year of his contract) play a big part to help develop our list by sharing their knowledge/experience with the young crew.
How many games has Darcy Moore played the last two years? Happy he didn't sign

To put it in perspective, there's probably over $2m in salary cap on those 4 players :eek:

To put it in perspective, there's probably over $2m in salary cap on those 4 players :eek:
Grundy was always going to retire at the end of this year, I reckon they saw his role this year to help transition/develop Melican as a key defender.
Smith was still playing good footy last year before his injury and looked to have more good footy ahead of him.
Mcveigh has been a legend and if fit this year still had heaps to offer.
Jack was still contracted for this year.
and.. We tried to trade in defenders (Moore & Langdon) but missed.
and yep.. We've now got all that Cash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back