Recommitted Todd Goldstein [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Stanley is fine. By the end of round 1 had managed to grind Grundy down and win the battle.
We don't need a cooked Goldstein.

You may need to re-visit this. Goldy has been great this year - 8th in the player ratings, 3rd behind the big 2 in rucks.

Stanley has been comprehensively beaten recently by Lycett and McEvoy in really poor losses by the Cats. He was also beaten by O'Brien and Marshall in the last month.

Goldy is far from cooked and a big upgrade on Stanley - who is going to run into some very good rucks come finals time.

You may need to re-visit this. Goldy has been great this year - 8th in the player ratings, 3rd behind the big 2 in rucks.

Stanley has been comprehensively beaten recently by Lycett and McEvoy in really poor losses by the Cats. He was also beaten by O'Brien and Marshall in the last month.

Goldy is far from cooked and a big upgrade on Stanley - who is going to run into some very good rucks come finals time.
Don’t need him. Too old. Pass

Don’t need him. Too old. Pass
Career high average for disposals, contested possessions, clearances and centre clerances. Not bad for a 31 year old All Australian.

Those that wrote him off were wrong. Geelong, Richmond & Essendon would love to be heading into the finals series with him.

Straight sets yet again for the Cats and the mid season trade period may come a year too late......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Career high average for disposals, contested possessions, clearances and centre clerances. Not bad for a 31 year old All Australian.

Those that wrote him off were wrong. Geelong, Richmond & Essendon would love to be heading into the finals series with him.

Straight sets yet again for the Cats and the mid season trade period may come a year too late......
Nah we’ll be fine.
We’ll be there again next and the year after. Finals is our DNA

I think what peoples mean too old is he peak with North this year, next year he is going down hills or other club players need to gel /read his tap again compare to North players.

I think what peoples mean too old is he peak with North this year, next year he is going down hills or other club players need to gel /read his tap again compare to North players.
I don't see him dropping off anytime soon. He is very durable and apart from 2017 has been a top line ruckmen since 2013.

McEvoy and Martin are also going really well into their 30's now. Quality and class in finals is so important .

If you can’t compete against Grundy - like Nank in last years prelim then you are in massive trouble.
No. That wasn’t the problem. The team was comprehensively beaten all over the park.

Vardy and Lycett did it in 18. Nankervis and Grigg did it in 17. Roughead and Boyd in 16. No world beaters in that lot.

Goldstein should stay at North. He’s in form and has a couple of good years left. Stay for the cash and be remembered as a very good North Melbourne player. Plus any compo North get will be lost acquiring Ellis.

No. That wasn’t the problem. The team was comprehensively beaten all over the park.

Vardy and Lycett did it in 18. Nankervis and Grigg did it in 17. Roughead and Boyd in 16. No world beaters in that lot.

Goldstein should stay at North. He’s in form and has a couple of good years left. Stay for the cash and be remembered as a very good North Melbourne player. Plus any compo North get will be lost acquiring Ellis.
I hope he does stay - its more that some teams could really use him 5 weeks.

Grundy had 21 touches, a goal and 56 hit outs in the prelim. That's massive and he did what he liked and set the tone for the game.

Lycett is a good ruck and the double team worked really well and they did a number on Grundy. Boyd was nearly BOG and played out of his skin - form that he was never able to match again and Simon Madden couldn't have helped the Crows win in 2017.

My point is if I was Essendon, Geelong or Richmond I would much prefer to be entering the finals with Goldy than TBC/Clarke, Stanley, Nank/Soldo/Choi.

If Grundy has 56, 21 and a goal then I will be amazed if any of these teams beat the Pies.

I hope he does stay - its more that some teams could really use him 5 weeks.

Grundy had 21 touches, a goal and 56 hit outs in the prelim. That's massive and he did what he liked and set the tone for the game.

Lycett is a good ruck and the double team worked really well and they did a number on Grundy. Boyd was nearly BOG and played out of his skin - form that he was never able to match again and Simon Madden couldn't have helped the Crows win in 2017.

My point is if I was Essendon, Geelong or Richmond I would much prefer to be entering the finals with Goldy than TBC/Clarke, Stanley, Nank/Soldo/Choi.

If Grundy has 56, 21 and a goal then I will be amazed if any of these teams beat the Pies.
Yeah I’d prefer to spend $800k this year on a 26 year old power forward than a 31 year old ruckman, which we did. It’s a matter of priorities. Grundy is a match winner no doubt. Goldys just not at that level.

I’d rather Goldy than Nank as well, but not at the expense of Tom Lynch.

No doubt Todd is better than what we have, but for his price and age it’s a pass for most clubs. North will ensure the man is paid, and he will provide good service to them.

Yeah I’d prefer to spend $800k this year on a 26 year old power forward than a 31 year old ruckman, which we did. It’s a matter of priorities. Grundy is a match winner no doubt. Goldys just not at that level.

I’d rather Goldy than Nank as well, but not at the expense of Tom Lynch.

No doubt Todd is better than what we have, but for his price and age it’s a pass for most clubs. North will ensure the man is paid, and he will provide good service to them.
Great couple of posts Rich01. You summed it up perfectly with out being disrespectful to any players What was best for clubs and players.

Great couple of posts Rich01. You summed it up perfectly with out being disrespectful to any players What was best for clubs and players.
It is what it is pup.
Todd is the Dirk Nowitzki of the Kangaroos. Pay him well, see him out as a one club player and people will look at him as a great player for the club and well within the top handful of ruckman in his era.

Sydney need a ruck. Sinclair has battled away but he’s not a genuine ruck.

Sinclair and Naismith are both middling to good rucks but both are getting older and neither have the durability to be worthwhile in persisting with throughout the Swans' rebuild. If the Swans offered Goldy $450-500K a year for a couple of years, used him to shield McLean (if they see him as a pure ruckman) or one of the better ruckmen in this year's draft crop (probably Luke Jackson) while they bulk up and gain experience in the NEAFL, and guaranteed a spot on the coaching staff once he retires a la Hodge & Mitchell, I reckon he'd take it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back